PDA

View Full Version : New Video Card for Portrait display.

clb8888
2006-12-11, 13:38
I am purchasing for a Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0 GHZ with 4.5 GB of ram running 10.4.8. This model has the PCI Express expansion slots.

I recently purchased a 24" widescreen monitor and would like to run a dual display with my current 20" widescreen in portrait mode. Thus comes the problem. I have the GeForce 6600 right now. But from what I understand Nvidia cards do not support portrait mode on the Macs. Thus I am probably looking for an ATI card but they all seem to be geared for AGP slots.

1.) Which card can I buy that will allow me to run my 20" in portrait mode?
2.) Does anyone have experience running a Power Mac this way?
3.) Are there any other work arounds to display a monitor in portrait mode?
4.) Am I screwed in relation to what I want to do?

Thanks in advance.

I appreciate the advice!

clb8888
2006-12-11, 19:48
Well I think I have found the answer to my own question, for future reference to others who might have the same question. The wisdom in changing to the PCI-Express system on the last revision of a product line that was discontinued by switching to a completely different processor seems a little flawed. As one would reason this cuts down on available options for those slots greatly.

The only GPU that I found from ATI for these machines is the ATI 100435854 Radeon X1900 G5 Mac Edition Video Card. $299 from Newegg.

Supposedly according to the ATI sales rep the card does support Versavision which would allow a monitor to be used in portrait mode.

I will try to report back once I get the card in my box.

clb8888
2006-12-13, 17:22
I installed the new software and then dropped the new video card in today and just as I was hoping I now have portrait display capability.

The installation was a bit tricky since the X1900 requires its own power supply but it wasn't to bad in the end. So far so good.

Schnauzer
2006-12-13, 17:59
Cool, the x1900 must be pretty sweet

HOW did u get the power hook-ups to it?

clb8888
2007-01-06, 18:58
Cool, the x1900 must be pretty sweet

HOW did u get the power hook-ups to it?

Sorry for the delay in posting S. I lost track of this thread. It only needed one power jack and I found out where that plug was at via this article (http://macnightowl.com/2006/11/14/the-case-of-the-ati-graphics-card-and-the-missing-instructions) from Gene Steinberg.

In the picture below the green arrow alludes to the approx. location of the power jack. It is right behind the plastic pci e brace and was open waiting for the plug when I opened the case. I went ahead and pulled the blue arrowed fan out and I was able to plug it right in.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/136/348294305_286cfc2a7f_o.jpg

It is still working great.

One hitch that I did hit. When I was taking out the old graphics card it was a bear to pull out. I ended up pulling out a spring loaded plastic peg, which seemed to not serve a major purpose and so I left it out.

Schnauzer
2007-01-06, 19:15
nice to good here its up and working

you should try some AA with that baby

digitalprimate
2007-01-07, 17:34
nice to good here its up and working

you should try some AA with that baby

Alcoholics Anonymous? :p

Schnauzer
2007-01-07, 18:42
Americas Army 2.5