PDA

View Full Version : iMac Aging Power

Krientle
2006-12-23, 21:55
Hey all,

With the ever increasing complexity of the modern computer, failure should almost be counted on. I haven't taken delivery on my new iMac yet so I can still cancel the order (it's through a college bookstore and is a stock configuration), so I was just wondering how long I should expect my iMac to last.

I've seen iMac's online (those cute bell iMacs, those are great looking imo) on ebay and they seem to be going strong, and they're what, 5+ years old?

I just don't want to be stuck with a broken iMac in 3.0000001 years after I buy it. Can't really fix anything in there except for maybe RAM from what it looks like.

Thanks,
K

atomicbartbeans
2006-12-23, 22:04
Although internally, the iMac Core Duo is more like a laptop in that everything isn't so easily accessible, they've so far proven themselves to be very reliable (hundreds of members here can attest to this), and all internal bits are accessible with a couple screwdrivers and some knowhow.

And hardware-wise, they're *very* capable and up-to-date... I'd guess that they'll still be competent machines 5-10 years from now.

Windowsrookie
2006-12-23, 22:06
It will last just as long as any other computer. Why would you think otherwise?

Krientle
2006-12-23, 22:09
Because any other computer I can replace any part I like. If the motherboard goes bad in my beige box PC, I can pick one up for $30 and install it (athlon 2k+ chip, parts are cheap). If the graphics card goes bad, I can do likewise.

iMac, I can replace RAM. That's why.

~ K

atomicbartbeans
2006-12-23, 22:13
Well yes, there's always the possibility of internal hardware failure; the iMac C2D logic board has shown itself to be reliable though, and that's probably the only essential component that you can't get from a 3rd-party manufacturer; the hard disk, CPU, etc. are all off-the-shelf components.

And, I wouldn't say that PC hardware failure can be "counted on". I know anecdotes don't make much difference, but right now I'm typing this on a linux PC on my desk. It was made in 1996 and has changed hands at least three times. :)

Windowsrookie
2006-12-23, 22:15
Because any other computer I can replace any part I like. If the motherboard goes bad in my beige box PC, I can pick one up for $30 and install it (athlon 2k+ chip, parts are cheap). If the graphics card goes bad, I can do likewise.

iMac, I can replace RAM. That's why.

~ K

If your spending $30 on motherboards, then I can see why your worried about malfunction. :p

GladToBeHere
2006-12-23, 22:21
I have four Macs, none of which have had any hardware issues. One is 9 years old with almost all original parts. The others are 5, 6, and 1 years old. Used regularly.

I have no delusions-- Macs are machines. As such, they can fail, especially because all the parts involved are made in any number of places. That said, though-- the build quality is generally very good to great in my experience.

Expect your purchase to last.

Krientle
2006-12-23, 23:05
If your spending $30 on motherboards, then I can see why your worried about malfunction. :p

It was an example number pulled out of the air. And actually, I could probably get one for about $30 used as you can't really buy anything that will support an athlon 2k+ new.

"And, I wouldn't say that PC hardware failure can be "counted on". I know anecdotes don't make much difference, but right now I'm typing this on a linux PC on my desk. It was made in 1996 and has changed hands at least three times." - atomic

Yeah, no disagreement there. Sometimes shit just happens on parts. The number of components that are crammed on to boards are incredible.

Just thought I'd post for suggestions. I have had my iBook into repair many times (2 hard drives, 2 logic boards, 2 keyboards). I use it a lot, I'm a CS Grad Student which basically means I'm attached to my dev. box (what can I say, I like xcode and vim, and portability). I must say Apple's phone support has been excellent, though the genius bar guys are kinda arrogant (well, some of them).

I guess I just wanted some reassurance. In life, there are no guarantees. But before I plop down 1.1k on a computer I could arguably build for a few hundred less than that out by assembling parts bought off Newegg, I'd like a bit of reassurance. I really like OS X's dev environment, and the ease of compiling Qt apps (Qt rocks btw, if you need a crossplatform gui toolkit, I highly recommend it). My needs have chanced since my hardcore gaming youth, and a decent, consistent UI is what I really want. (Sorry, but Gnome and KDE both need to look at their UIs, they seem clunky, though they're both doing good work).

~ K

Brave Ulysses
2006-12-24, 03:58
You are right and your concern is warranted.

iBooks were designed and manufactured like shit. Tons of problems....significant problems. Apple's quality assurance as their popularity has increased has decreased significantly.

It's a shame.

But the iMac has been a solid performer since the switch to Intel and the last round of G5 iMacs. The first G5 iMacs not so much. CRT iMacs not so much.

Barto
2006-12-24, 06:05
If it lasts longer than your warranty, look on that as a bonus. Even though computer model X lasts longer statistically than computer model Y, that doesn't mean much for *your* computer, whatever model.

It could break a week, a month, a year or a decade after you buy it.

So, that's why I see anything longer than the warranty as a bonus.

alcimedes
2006-12-24, 06:54
Brave Ulysses nailed it. There are some apple hardware lines that are not vey good, but the Intel iMacs are not in that camp. They've been solid performers everywhere I've seen them installed.

Krientle
2006-12-24, 13:13
Ok, thanks for the reassurance. I think I'll keep a cd (warcraft 3, I plan on copying everything else to an external hard drive and mounting it when necessary) in my iMac's drive whenever I'm not using it though, for some reason I'm paranoid that someone will stick a minicd into the drive just to spite me!

~ K

Schnauzer
2006-12-24, 14:32

Whoa, $30, they must really blow :eek:

My motherboard for the PC i built was like $170, and an ASUS

Krientle
2006-12-24, 18:47
Whoa, $30, they must really blow :eek:

My motherboard for the PC i built was like $170, and an ASUS

My god, it was a number I pulled out of the air. I have an ASUS A7N8X in my current main machine I paid something like $100+ for.

Right now though, to get a replacement board for my computer, it would cost anywhere from $30-50.

I give up, forget it.

~ K

Kickaha
2006-12-24, 21:44
While every unit is a statistical anomaly, my current stable includes:

A 1998 B/W G3 tower that's had the ATA controller and Enet replaced with PCI boards after a lightning strike, but is otherwise still going strong, a G4 Cube (1999 I think?), an iBook G3 (2001, IIRC) and a PowerBook G4 (2002). Those are just my currently used machines, I have several other older ones that are fully functional, but in mothballs.

The only machine that's caused any issues is the iBook - it was in that bad-mobo phase, and had to go in for corrective surgery. Other than that, they've been trouble-free.

Windowsrookie
2006-12-24, 21:54
While every unit is a statistical anomaly, my current stable includes:

A 1998 B/W G3 tower that's had the ATA controller and Enet replaced with PCI boards after a lightning strike, but is otherwise still going strong, a G4 Cube (1999 I think?)

B&W=1999
Cube=2000
:)

World Leader Pretend
2006-12-24, 22:29

Holy crap!!! What were you expecting for thirty dol- (just messing with you) ;)

My iMac G5 (pre-iSight) has been stable, although it is a little noisy. I've never heard any Intel iMacs make noise though.. they really are very stable machines.

torifile
2006-12-24, 22:47
How the fuck would we know how long your computer's going to last? Buy it, be careful with it and get the warranty.

Krientle
2006-12-24, 23:53
Well, thanks to everyone that's given their Mac stories. I look forward to getting it sometime this week (unfortunately, the day the truck normally comes to deliver to the campus bookstore is the same day that campus will have power shut down to replace a transformer (a big one), or so they tell us).

I'll post my thoughts on it. I plan on using the minidvi adapter from my ibook to do dual screen on it permanently and buying another one for my ibook.

The longer the life I can get out of it the more I can save, which is good!

Regards,
K

Brave Ulysses
2006-12-25, 01:38
Well, thanks to everyone that's given their Mac stories. I look forward to getting it sometime this week (unfortunately, the day the truck normally comes to deliver to the campus bookstore is the same day that campus will have power shut down to replace a transformer (a big one), or so they tell us).

I'll post my thoughts on it. I plan on using the minidvi adapter from my ibook to do dual screen on it permanently and buying another one for my ibook.

The longer the life I can get out of it the more I can save, which is good!

Regards,
K

huh?

I thought you were getting an iMac? Why are you talking about dual screen with an iBook?

Eugene
2006-12-25, 01:44
huh?

I thought you were getting an iMac? Why are you talking about dual screen with an iBook?
The iMac has a mini-DVI port. He either means another adapter or monitor or both...

Kickaha
2006-12-25, 02:02
B&W=1999
Cube=2000
:)

:lol: Yeah, after enough lifespan on the beasts, a single year kind of gets lost in the noise. :) Thanks for the correction.

Krientle
2006-12-25, 10:57
The iMac has a mini-DVI port. He either means another adapter or monitor or both...

Dual Screen on my iMac. You're correct, the Intel iMacs (maybe the G5s, don't know) have mini-dvi ports. I plan on picking up another Mini-DVI->VGA connector for my laptop so that when I need to do presentations I can use it on my iBook.

Regards,
K