PDA

View Full Version : Stupid f*(8ing ABS!

torifile
2004-10-07, 20:26
My trusty Snow ABS is giving me fits these days. It's like it can't do DHCP anymore. What happens is when I wake my computer from sleep, the BS doesn't assign it an IP address. I can connect to the base station because it shows up in the menubar. Airport Admin Utility, however, doesn't show it much of the time.

What's strange is that even when it *does* give me an IP address, it'll sometimes be one that's already assigned.

The only way to remedy the situation is to unplug it and then plug it back in. This happens with all of the computers in the house - 2 macs, on PC and one pocket pc.

I've tried manually assigning an IP address and the internet isn't reachable this way, so that doesn't work. I've tried doing soft resets. I even did a hard reset. Nothing seems to work.

Is it possible that it's just broken? Like a hardware thing? Any ideas? I'm open...

FFL
2004-10-07, 20:43
No cure I know of, other than hoping Apple has it on their "radar" as a known issue and it gets addressed by the next firmware update. Meanwhile, a workaround to keep you from getting out of your chair several times a week would be to use the ABS Utility to Restart the !@#$#% base station.

Not like I'm speaking from experience or anything.... :D

torifile
2004-10-07, 20:49
I would but AAU only shows the BS intermittently.

The thing is, NOTHING's changed in my set up since a couple of weeks ago when this wasn't happening. I can't figure it out. And, yes, the worst thing is having to get off my lazy ass to unplug it. Well, that and it doesn't seem to want to assign more than one IP address at a time. :/

alcimedes
2004-10-07, 21:55
i was trying to figure out why your car problems were in the genius bar.

sunrain
2004-10-07, 22:34
i was trying to figure out why your car problems were in the genius bar.

I was thinking the same until I saw DHCP. I was also wondering where he was driving in the snow this time of year.

kretara
2004-10-08, 06:44
Shit, I was thinking "How did he get his car to use DHCP?"

torifile
2004-10-08, 07:20
:lol:

My car is another story ENTIRELY. I've been bitten by the "sammy's-been-neglecting-us-let's-show-him-he-can't-take-us-for-granted" bug recently. :err:

alcimedes
2004-10-08, 08:10
:lol:

My car is another story ENTIRELY. I've been bitten by the "sammy's-been-neglecting-us-let's-show-him-he-can't-take-us-for-granted" bug recently. :err:

my wife had that once. just top off the fluids.

cudaboy_71
2004-10-08, 09:05
my wife had that once. just top off the fluids.

if that's what you call it now i guess the honeymoon's over, eh?