PDA

View Full Version : Super Fast help needed

xionja
2004-10-08, 22:09
Okay so i'm going to boston with my father tomorow, and whoa suprise he hands me a new ipod (yeah he randomly bought two ipods?) and he's like lets listen to music tomorow.

so I need to put my music library on the ipod.

problem: my music library is in lossless format which obviouly isn't going on the ipod

Can I put it on the ipod in a smaller file format without having to convert the whole library first, which would take more than 24 hours?

How can i finagle this and leave for boston in 9 and half hours?

Brad
2004-10-08, 22:21
Do you really need *all* of your music?

You could just select some of the albums, start converting before going to bed, let it run overnight, and copy the files over in the morning that are ready.

There's really no way to make the music smaller without converting to another lower-quality format.

FFL
2004-10-08, 22:25
Go through your iTunes Library and uncheck your least important songs - OR - make a playlist of your most important songs. You'll know by the status at the bottom of the iTunes window, how many GB you have on that playlist.

when the iPod is plugged in for the first time, you can select in the iPod Preferences screen, to sync automatically (only the checked songs), or to only sync your new playlist. This should serve you for the trip till you get home and have time to convert the entire library to AAC. I recommend a custom setting of 192 kpbs AAC, by the way.

Learn from the ability to sync only certain playlists, and you can keep your lossless for listening to on the computer, and sync the AAC versions for your iPod.

FFL
2004-10-08, 22:31
Can I put it on the ipod in a smaller file format without having to convert the whole library first, which would take more than 24 hours?

How can i finagle this and leave for boston in 9 and half hours?
You could also take your new temporary playlist of favorite songs, select all, and use the menu command Advanced/Convert Selection to AAC (hint: you'll have to change your iTunes Import preferences to AAC instead of Lossless first). Then put all the CONVERTED files in a new playlist (use View Options to view and sort by Size), and select that playlist for syncing in your iPod prefs. That should let you load up the iPod with as many songs as you need for a daytrip.

xionja
2004-10-08, 22:46
aight, I did the playlist thing, it was tough tho. harsh selection.

When I actually get to use the ipod, will it be possible to have two separate librarys, home and ipod for different qualities?

FFL
2004-10-08, 22:57
aight, I did the playlist thing, it was tough tho. harsh selection.

When I actually get to use the ipod, will it be possible to have two separate librarys, home and ipod for different qualities?Not unless you are willing to sit through an entire library copy-over every time you switch machines. There may be shareware tricks, if you search versiontracker.com for "ipod" or something...