PDA

View Full Version : The Blackberry - What's the big deal?

scratt
2004-10-08, 22:56
I am a gadget freak... I'll admit that, and it has come time to think about a new mobile. But I really do use the funtionality of mobile email and a camera phone. The camera / email phone I think it actually great for everyone up from private individual to Corporate bosses as a replacement for the note pad... Much more so than a PDA.

If I see something I think is neat, or even an advert I want a number / email address from I take a quick photo and bluetooth it to my laptop when I get home. Much easier and more effective as an aide memoire than a badly scribbled PDA note. That I think is one of the great many missed uses of camera phones that could be exploited in advertising instead of the cutesy take-a-picture-of-your-dog-or-girlfriend type ads!!!

I have traditionally always been a Nokia user. I personally think in terms of their menu system and continuity of 'ease of use' throughout their range they are in the same rough area as Apple are as a 'think different' product manufacturer. I was so pleased when Apple started supporting them after a bit of a lag and a pre-disposition towards Sony mobiles.

I have a 6610, and have had it since pretty much the day it came out.
I have heard of Blackberrys' and always thought they were a mainly US product and a kind of pager. I am sure I read somewhere that yuo bought the original one for a flat rate and could 'text' for life for free, or some measure of years as part of the package? Am I right in that thinking, or mistaken?

Recently I have seen them in a few programs and have seen the launch of their new phone, as opposed to a text only two-way pager. As far as I can see it they are still just phones. I had always presumed they had their own proprietory network and had a kind of GPRS always on system for instant emailing and the like... But if they are being touted in Asia, Europe and elsewhere by the likes of Vodafone they are simply another brand of mobile phone, surely? I am not aware of their being a world-wide always on, single number network... Whenever you travel with a mobile you get stiffed with these roaming charges and people still have to call your home number in your home country, you pay the call charge from their to wherever you are... Am I missing the point of the Blackberry?

That being the case ( and please if I am wrong - enlighten me) have I not got all the functionality of a Blackberry in my Nokia 6610?

Or is this quad-band (6610s being tri-band) the proprietory network I was thinking Blackberry had? And if so is that available world-wide and can I truly be connected all the time at low cost? Even if that is just for email and / or text... that might make me buy one!

Sorry to ask what is probably a dense question to US people, but I cannot find a straight answer on European and Asian web sites...

Thanks for any feedback?

Moogs
2004-10-08, 23:04
Oprah loves her Blackberry, therefore it must be good. She gives cars away you know. :p ;)

dfiler
2004-10-11, 15:26
Originally, it seems blackberry's success came not from an exhaustive feature list, but from the combination of just a few key technologies. It was the first handheld to offer truly useful net access from your pocket.

Interestinly, business types comprised a fairly high percentage of early adopters. Normally its only gadget geeks who buy and perhaps use these devices. But for some reason, blackberry was different. I think it all boils down to realtime email and market info from you pocket. Wallstreet, immediately found them useful.

Most people already have sufficient ways of handling their contact info and calendars. They needed something else from a PDA in order to justiry the time and money involved with using one. Email and market data was the 'something else'. There was no low tech substitute for having that info in your pocket.