PDA

View Full Version : iPod - Buy now or wait? Will iPhone impact iPod release cycle?

OCA|
2007-01-11, 14:35
Now that I have a 45 minute commute to my new job, I'm finally away from my computer enough in a day to make purchasing an iPod worthwhile. Of course, I'm afraid that if I pick up one now, right around the corner they'll release a new one. Normally, I would just play it safe and wait... but with the iPhone having just been announced, I can't help but wonder if they plan on waiting until after the iPhone to introduce a new iPod. If that's the case, it would be worth it to purchase one now - six months is a bit long to wait.

What should I do?

-OCA|

torifile
2007-01-11, 14:38
That's a tough question. If I were you, because you definitely could use an iPod, I'd buy a refurb from Apple and wait until a new model is released. The next generation of the iPod seems like it'll be a big change. Look into getting a refurb from the Special Deals section of the Apple Store.

edit: I just checked and they're offering 30 gig iPods (both black and white) for $179. That's a good deal and when you're ready for the next gen iPod, you'll get back almost 100% of that cost.

Wyatt
2007-01-11, 15:13
That's a tough question. If I were you, because you definitely could use an iPod, I'd buy a refurb from Apple and wait until a new model is released. The next generation of the iPod seems like it'll be a big change. Look into getting a refurb from the Special Deals section of the Apple Store.

edit: I just checked and they're offering 30 gig iPods (both black and white) for $179. That's a good deal and when you're ready for the next gen iPod, you'll get back almost 100% of that cost.
I'm with tori. I actually think we won't see an iPod update until October, and it's certainly worth it to buy an iPod now and sell it when the new model is announced. You'll likely still get $100-150 when you sell yours.

PKIDelirium
2007-01-11, 15:54
Buy now.

The 5.5G won't be replaced so soon.

OCA|
2007-01-11, 23:59
I just checked and they're offering 30 gig iPods (both black and white) for $179

That's a good find. Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I'm gonna do just that :D

-OCA|

PKIDelirium
2007-01-12, 00:14
Those are 5G, not 5.5G.

spikeh
2007-01-12, 00:20
I'm with tori. I actually think we won't see an iPod update until October, and it's certainly worth it to buy an iPod now and sell it when the new model is announced. You'll likely still get $100-150 when you sell yours.

I concur.

chris e boy
2007-01-12, 08:28
i disagree, i think we'll either get an upgrade to 6G in March or sometime soon after the iPhone is released (july?)

Miko
2007-01-12, 10:22
just buy a shuffle and rock on.

I don't think Apple will update the current iPod until the iPhone has had its time in the lime light. I mean I can't tell you how many people I know who would buy the iPod just for Cover Flow and Multi-Touch. Apple knows it and they are not going to have it compete with the iPhone. They did the same when the 12" and 17" Powerbooks were announced, um how long did it take before we got a revised 15" PB? because they new most people would buy the 15".