PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 for $175

torifile
2007-01-13, 10:51
I found a new Xbox 360 for $175 on my local craigslist. It's the core system. I was reading about the 360 and I realize there's probably going to be an update to it soon, but the biggest change that would affect me would be the hard drive and I can get that later. Should I do it? I was in the market for an old Xbox but this seemed like a good deal. TIA.

djroygbiv
2007-01-13, 11:04
You can get a used Hard Drive from EB Games or Gamestop for about $80 so at $255 ($175 + $80) , this is still $45 cheaper than a brand new system. Thats a pretty good deal. You can also get a memory card for $40-$50 and save your games on there for now.

I imagine somebody will snag that up fairly quickly.

Windowsrookie
2007-01-13, 11:15
Where did you see their will be an update? The only update I heard of was 65nm CPU's. And those won't be in it until late spring/summer.

Windowsrookie
2007-01-13, 11:18
Hey Torifile, I noticed you have an 8525. I'm thinking of buying a T-mobile MDA (Same phone as the 8525) How do you like it?

torifile
2007-01-13, 11:22
Drat. I just missed it. Oh well. The 360 wouldn't do what I want anyway. That's what I'm telling myself, anyway. :)

WR, the MDA is actually the 8125. I had that and I didn't like it. Too slow. The 8525 is actually really good. Better form factor and fast enough to be used without frustration.

scratt
2007-01-13, 11:59
Go for it, and join the Gears of War slaughter fest...

I got a 360 at Christmas, and couldn't care less that they are going to upgrade them... I just want to play games on this thing..

One thing I really don't understand is why its so hard to put your own drive in the 360 cludge.. Surely if you pop it open it's just a bog standard HD? Isn't it?

Windowsrookie
2007-01-13, 12:28
It's a 2.5" SATA hard drive, but it has specific Microsoft stuffs on it.

Boy, how you have changed scratt. What did we tell you 6 months ago? :p

torifile
2007-01-13, 16:25
Well, I did it! I didn't quite get as good a deal as I posted about, but close. With some fancy talking at Circuit City, I got a nice price on the 360 Premium + wireless controller + $30 gift card. Picked up Gears of War, too. :D I can't play it because I'm very close to being in the doghouse right now and don't want to risk it. I'll have to wait to hook it up til tomorrow at the earliest. Too bad there's no wireless adapter included with the premium system. That'd be handy. For now, I'll have to run it through my iMac because my cable modem and router are upstairs.

Windowsrookie
2007-01-13, 17:43
Damn you torifile, now look what you made me do.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/145/356168856_822d236673.jpg

Wyatt
2007-01-13, 20:02
Didn't you just sell yours, WR?

macleod
2007-01-13, 20:07
Didn't you just sell yours, WR?

I was going to ask the same thing! I am thinking about selling mine as well seeing as I got a PS3 for Christmas; however, Gears of War and the eventual release of Halo 3 are also making me want to keep it around for a while.

Windowsrookie
2007-01-13, 20:19
Yeah I sold it, but Compusa's stupid return policy made me buy a bunch of stuff, otherwise I had to pay a restocking fee. :grumble:

But they did have this awesome 5.1 surround sound system with Digital inputs (big 55 pound box in picture) And I finally got to test out my iMac's optical audio out! :)

Wyatt
2007-01-13, 21:15
Yeah I sold it, but Compusa's stupid return policy made me buy a bunch of stuff, otherwise I had to pay a restocking fee. :grumble:

But they did have this awesome 5.1 surround sound system with Digital inputs (big 55 pound box in picture) And I finally got to test out my iMac's optical audio out! :)
:lol: At least you got one new toy out of it. I sold my 360 a while back and bought a DS Lite. I don't play it all that much, and I'm missing having console games to play. I'm actually thinking about picking up a cheap PS2 next month, since I never had one and I missed out on a ton of games.

scratt
2007-01-13, 22:27
It's a 2.5" SATA hard drive, but it has specific Microsoft stuffs on it.

Boy, how you have changed scratt. What did we tell you 6 months ago? :p

Ok. So it is possible then... Hmmmm...

I was totally expecting to get flaid alive for admitting to having a 360, but I have also bought both a Wii (for my wife) and a PS3. My favorite is still very much the PS3, but unfortunately right now when you break it down to the most basic principals.. I want to be able to play games NOW, and also be able to enjoy a good online experience NOW. As it stands we are going to have to wait at least a year for that on the PS3.

torifile, welcome to the club.. When you do pluck up the courage to fire it up let me know.. Perhaps we can get a Gears of War AN clan going, if there isn't one already?

Windowsrookie
2007-01-13, 23:39
I just made a Halo 2 clan, If nobody started a Gears of War clan I can start one tomarrow.

torifile
2007-01-13, 23:50
Damn. I don't have a wireless adapter and I can't figure out how to get my iMac sharing my network connection over ethernet to work. I've done this before with other computers, but the 360 keeps getting a self-assigned IP address so I can't get online. :grumble:

Windowsrookie
2007-01-14, 00:26
Torifile, if you get it working send a friend request to Windowsrookie. :)

torifile
2007-01-14, 01:26
Damn. Now I know why I use a Mac. :) I got it figured out, but it took a while. Not all night, but I had to figure out why connect360 wasn't working. It's all sorted now. :) My gamertag is "torifile", obviously. I don't have Halo 2 and I haven't opened up GoW yet.

WR - how much was that sound system you've got there? I just have my 2.1 system hooked to it right now. And does the remote control the volume without jumping through hoops? I'm disappointed in the media center aspect of it so far. It works, but not as easily as my stereo did to control volume and such. Am I missing something?

Windowsrookie
2007-01-14, 01:43
I don't understand. You're having problems with the Volume? Why are you dissapointed in the media center?

torifile
2007-01-14, 01:55
I don't understand. You're having problems with the Volume? Why are you dissapointed in the media center?
I'm not having problems, per se, but it seems like it's too many steps just to adjust the volume. My universal remote has volume buttons but that's for the t.v.'s volume (and going to frustrate my wife, fo' sho'). To get to the place to control the volume coming from the speakers, I need to go to the "Guide", move over to the volume, select it and then change it. See? Way too many steps. Am I missing something?