PDA

View Full Version : Buy a new Mac Mini or build up an original Intel one?

turtle
2007-01-14, 23:09
With the ability to change CPU's in the Mac Mini now, I'm wondering if it is worth it to buy a new Mini or a Core Solo one and replace the CPU. If I go that route, then which type of Core 2 Duo can I use. (I didn't realize there were so many types of C2D's.) Yeah, no warranty coverage if I go this way, I know. I would also upgrade the RAM to the max.

I know several of you are really good about crunching things out and I'm really seeking your input here. The machine would be used for Aperture and Parallels until I can afford the Mac Pro. (Colleges want you to pay for your classes before you actually start taking them, go figure. :p) So the shortest reason, I need an Aperture, PS CS and Parallels compatible machine for the least amount of money.

I replaced the RAM in my G4 Mini so I know how to use a putty knife. :)
TIA

atomicbartbeans
2007-01-14, 23:14
Yeeah, Core Duos are really expensive when bought separately. Like, possibly more than the mini itself.

Windowsrookie
2007-01-15, 00:32
Yeeah, Core Duos are really expensive when bought separately. Like, possibly more than the mini itself.

ummm, no.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819111303

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819111302

Turtle, any Merom will work. Although I'd stay under the 2.1GHZ mark, Mac Mini's don't have the best cooling.

turtle
2007-01-16, 11:56
No one else with any input?

dmegatool
2007-01-16, 12:02
Don't you have a MacBook 2GHz CoreDuo w/ 2GB ?

Anyway, I would not invest in a mini since your target is a MacPro. I would put that cash on the MP to get it faster...

I don't think the little money you'll save or the little power you'll gain worth the annulation of the waranty.

turtle
2007-01-16, 18:01
Don't you have a MacBook 2GHz CoreDuo w/ 2GB ?

Anyway, I would not invest in a mini since your target is a MacPro. I would put that cash on the MP to get it faster...

I don't think the little money you'll save or the little power you'll gain worth the annulation of the waranty.

Yes, but no. See the MB is my wife's and she doesn't mind me using it though. I currently run Aperture on it as well as PS CS and Parallels. Problem we run into that we both need them at the same time. We can make due. I guess I just want another Intel system to make my life easier. You're right, I just don't want to believe it though. I will have to hold back until I can get the system I need. :\

Thanks for making me put it off. :(

;)