PDA

View Full Version : Should I bother buying a PC?

20newUser
2007-01-15, 07:48
Well, I'm in dire need of running some windows apps on my mac and I would like to ask - is virtualization really worthy? I mean, does it provide native speed for windows apps? I just wanted to ask some people who used Boot Camp or Parallels, will it work fine? Is virtualization as effective as people say? Well, I know that Parallels supports USB, But doesn't have 3d graphics support, while Boot Camp allows playing games and working with graphics, but, as far as I know, doesn't allow to run windows and Mac Os simultaneously. What of these two apps is more convenient in usage? what should I choose? Thank you

chucker
2007-01-15, 07:52
Boot Camp lets you do virtually everything any PC would, but yes, you'll ahve to dual-boot. Aside from having to quit applications and being in a different environment, it also takes away 2-5 minutes of your time having to boot back and forth. So for most apps, you'll want to use Parallels Desktop instead, out of sheer convenience.

Buying an additional computer is really only worth it when you actually have to run a full-blown Windows and Mac OS X at the same time.

Gargoyle
2007-01-15, 07:53
The big question would be - What apps? If they need 3D graphics then no, otherwise Yes.

Parallels is very good and serves my needs for both running Windows (Mostly custom apps / testing) and Ubuntu linux (just for fun).

If you are running Parallels get a LOT of RAM. A friend just went from 512Mb to 2G and he said the speed increase in Parallels was huge.

chris e boy
2007-01-15, 07:59
Parallels is incredible.

If you have enough ram in your Mac (I would recommend 2GB), you can hardly tell its running and Windows apps run pretty much at native speed. 3D graphics support is apparently on its way.

One of the best things about Parallels is the new 'coherence' mode, which hides the desktop of your virtual machine. This makes it look like your Windows apps are running natively on your mac. They even show up in the dock.

On my iMac in work, I notice no loss of speed whilst running Fireworks, Dreamweaver, Safari, Firefox, Skype (on the mac) whilst running Visual Studio, Outlook and SQL Server Management Studio (on the parallels machine).

As you can imagine, this sort of configuration runs even faster on my Mac Pro in the house.

specter
2007-01-15, 08:00
Yes, virtualization itself is a very powerful solution. For example, I run a lot of windows apps (for example acrobat reader - the most common one) every day on my mac under parallels (http://www.parallels.com)and from my own experience I can say that it provides almost native speed for windows. It is right that Parallels doesn't support 3d graphics - and Boot Camp is the only solution here (while parallels team claim that they are currently working on 3d graphics support (http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/08/08/parallels.desktop.for.mac/)). But what I like most about Parallels (one of the many aspects:) ) is Boot Camp support. In fact their latest beta includes Boot Camp partitions support - http://www.macobserver.com/article/2006/12/01.12.shtml (http://www.macobserver.com/article/2006/12/01.12.shtml)

specter
2007-01-15, 08:08
Parallels is incredible.
One of the best things about Parallels is the new 'coherence' mode, which hides the desktop of your virtual machine. This makes it look like your Windows apps are running natively on your mac. They even show up in the dock.

Yes, I agree, Parallels (http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/)is really incredible:D Coherence mode is the second thing I like most - this means i can have windows running while I’m working in os x and not even know it! Drag and drop support is absolutely awesome))!!
And, returning to what it all started from, I sholud say that there's no need to choose either parallels or Boot Camp - in fact with Boot Camp support under parallels ерыу two apps can make a perfect combo.
I found an article (http://blog.jeffkee.com/2007/01/12/parallels-beta-the-newest-technology-to-intel-macs/)about Parallels and Boot Camp - you may find it interesting.

20newUser
2007-01-15, 08:14
Thank you all very much - you did react very fast indeed:) I have another question - in case with Boot Camp support in Parallels do I still need two copies of windows to settle licensing issues with microsoft?

specter
2007-01-15, 08:19
in case with Boot Camp support in Parallels do I still need two copies of windows to settle licensing issues with microsoft?
Theoretically you don't need two copies - as far as I know, you can run windows directly from you Boot Camp partition under parallels - it means that you don't was hard drive space for two copies of windows and don't waste extra money...

20newUser
2007-01-15, 08:27
Well, I think I'm downloading parallels. Thanks. I spent 20 minutes on this forum and learnt more than i did from reading articles for hours:) I'll share my impressions after testing Parallels

billybobsky
2007-01-15, 10:10
Yes, virtualization itself is a very powerful solution. For example, I run a lot of windows apps (for example acrobat reader - the most common one) every day on my mac under parallels and from my own experience I can say that it provides almost native speed for windows. It is right that Parallels doesn't support 3d graphics - and Boot Camp is the only solution here (while parallels team claim that they are currently working on 3d graphics support). But what I like most about Parallels (one of the many aspects ) is Boot Camp support. In fact their latest beta includes Boot Camp partitions support - http://www.macobserver.com/article/2006/12/01.12.shtml
What?

Acrobat Reader, the application which you can get for MacOS for free on Windows through emulation?

Dare I ask why?

Bryson
2007-01-15, 10:43
...and duplicates a function that is already included on your Mac in Preview...

specter
2007-01-16, 07:21
Acrobat Reader was the most popular windows app that came to my mind that moment) That was just an example - wanted to illustrate how windows programs run under Parallels

MagSafe
2007-01-16, 08:44
I have to use Parallels all the time at home. I actually don't mind using it to much as it keeps my work and home environment seperate (home being OS X, work being Windows) and i'm always in a similar environment to what I use at work.

The only thing I can complain about Parallels is how much memory it uses up, to be fair I only have a Mac Mini (1GB, 1.66GHz, Integrated GFX) so when running Windows at the same time as OS X it can become a bit straining on my setup.

I'll have to upgrade to a Mac Pro or iMac sometime :p, but other than that its perfect and I would much rather use it over BootCamp.

specter
2007-01-17, 13:13
The only thing I can complain about Parallels is how much memory it uses up, to be fair I only have a Mac Mini (1GB, 1.66GHz, Integrated GFX) so when running Windows at the same time as OS X it can become a bit straining on my setup.

I'll have to upgrade to a Mac Pro or iMac sometime :p, but other than that its perfect and I would much rather use it over BootCamp.

Yes, memory issue really matters when running parallels. I also prefer running parallels rather than Boot Camp, but I'm not a gamer and I don't work with 3d graphics. My girlfriend sometimes plays games on my mac and I taught her how to use Boot Camp:)

specter
2007-01-17, 13:19
1 gb of ram is not very much:) In fact, I heard that a minimum memory upgrade gives a decent boost to parallels. Certainly, with two gigs of RAM windows will work at native speed

20newUser
2007-01-17, 13:23
Well, now I'm a happy Parallels owner:) Still, I haven't bought it while there's an opportunity to test it thoroughly. My first impression was absolutely positive - most of all I liked Coherence mode and Drag & Drop support. Virtualization really rocks!! And all USB devices also work fine under Parallels... Thanks for good advice;)

specter
2007-01-18, 06:52
Well, now I'm a happy Parallels owner:) Still, I haven't bought it while there's an opportunity to test it thoroughly. My first impression was absolutely positive - most of all I liked Coherence mode and Drag & Drop support. Virtualization really rocks!! And all USB devices also work fine under Parallels... Thanks for good advice;)
Glad you enjoy it;) Welcome to the community of happy Parallels users:)