PDA

View Full Version : MacRumors "page 2" item on new G5s...

psmith2.0
2004-05-21, 13:14
Interesting (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/05/20040521134437.shtml).

I know their page 2 is a spotty dumping ground for unconfirmed stuff, but still...if those specs came to be, that would make most people pretty happy, right?

Low-end would be 2.2, up to 3GHz (meeting Steve's promise and avoiding any potential rioting/looting by the SW Brigade).

;)

(and if you have to ask what "SW" stands for, learn your AI history/background/popular terminology...for I shall not utter the word, lest actual, living and present SWs are offended)

:p

Luca
2004-05-21, 13:27
Oh come on... SWs are totally justified in demanding a lot from PowerMacs and PowerBooks. They're PRO systems! Sure, a lot of people buy them for playing games and crap, but a lot of people need that performance for their work.

You can rag on SWs all you want if they're demanding dual G5 iMacs and saying how Apple is doomed unless they can release a 2 GHz iBook by the end of the year, but seriously... if you demand high performance from PowerMacs and PowerBooks, you're being normal, not a SW.

SonOfSylvanus
2004-05-21, 13:27
Creative professionals, programmers and even gamers need the extra power that we're clamouring for...

*ducks*

psmith2.0
2004-05-21, 13:35
Luca, you don't have to EXPLAIN it to me, for crying out loud (check those smileys in my original post...they mean something).

:eek:

In any case, I framed the "SW" reference in a positive light: asking, sincerely, will this be the update they've long waited for and they'll be happy? Will this be the "big one" everyone has held off other purchases for? Is this going to make the year-long wait worth it? Will all those souls who've kept their credit cards tucked away feel vindicated in a month? Are these specs reasonable and "do-able"?

I suppose so...nothing sounds too far out or hard-to-believe.

It's a multiple-use name, SW, and sometimes used in a non-derisive manner. Besides, I separate true "pros" from "SWs". They're not the same and I have nothing but respect for serious, pro users legitimately making a case for needing the most power, speed and features they can get their hands on.

WHY am I explaining all this to you...who cares?

:D

DMBand0026
2004-05-21, 13:41
I have to agree with Luca here.
The SWs can demand stuff from the low end (iMac, eMac, iBook) but when i comes to pro machines, that kind of stuff should just be there. There is no excuse. The fact that it's been an entire year since the machines have been introduced and that they haven't been upgraded, wow...that's unheard of in the computer industry and I'm surprised that Apple is still selling any of those things.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a SW (crap, I almost said the word!), but some things in that lineup need major updating and big changes.
But you know those guys are gonna start complaining about something when the new lineup comes out @ WWDC..."Only dual 3.0ghz on a 90nm chip, what happened to 65nm? I'm waiting for the Rev. Cs!" Or, "What is the deal here, only space for 3 optical drives and 4 HDDs? Geez Apple, get a clue, these are pro machines, not some pansy consumer iMacs!"

You know it's gonna happen, just wait and see.

As for me, I love my new PB and wouldn't change a thing.

psmith2.0
2004-05-21, 13:49
:D

Yep, you get it. See? I'm not making this stuff up, folks...the species does indeed exist.

Hey, I agree...I'm way more forgiving of pro users expecting more out of the alleged pro gear from Apple. What gets my motor sputtering are the ones bitching about the consumer stuff "sucking" with "only a G4" and whatnot.

Huge difference.

"I can't use Mail and iTunes with anything less than a G5! Apple SUX!!! :mad:"

:rolleyes:

See?

Luca
2004-05-21, 14:03
I see what you mean, pscates. Pros, and even hardcore gamers, are justified in demanding a lot from the PowerMacs. And it actually irritates me as well when you get people who you know won't be buying anything complaining about specs.

A lot of the time, I just totally separate myself from the hardware upgrade fanaticism because I'm perfectly happy with my computer, and I wouldn't be able to afford a new one even if I did want one. I get excited after stuff gets upgraded, like most people here, but it's really not important to me because my PowerMac G4 is exactly the machine I want and nothing can change that.

Then again, there are always people who are concerned about Apple's success based on what hardware they're offering. I do think it is justified to be concerned about the iMac. Not in a SW type of way (OMG the I-maK sux becuz ti has only t3h G4!!11!!11!!!one!11), but in a way that shows that you are aware of where the tech industry is at right now and you're concerned about Apple. In that case, it's not a question of whether anyone NEEDS a G5 iMac or not, it's a question of whether someone will buy a 1.25 GHz G4 iMac for $1300-$2200 when there are other options available that cost half as much and *appear* to be better. I think it's just as much a marketing issue as it is a specs issue. And I know how you get when it comes to Apple's marketing decisions :D

Crusader
2004-05-22, 11:24
Ok, looks like I have to say it:
"Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!"

It's about time we had a G5 rumor.

Gargoyle
2004-05-23, 13:43
Someome PM me the meaning of SW before I go mad! :confused:

Messiahtosh
2004-05-23, 15:54
Someome PM me the meaning of SW before I go mad! :confused:I do not know what it means either. :o

Luca
2004-05-23, 16:34
Think "the type of person that pscates always complains about."

DAMN! I finally get mod powers, and now I do a double post in someone else's forum!

Could one of the admins please delete?

Luca
2004-05-23, 16:35
Think "the type of person that pscates always complains about."

Also... the abbreviation is not phonetic. One or both of the letters in the abbreviation is pronounced differently than the beginning of the word.

SilentEchoes
2004-05-23, 17:35
ooo ooo a riddle. Its a shame I already know what it means.

Regardless these machines need to stay competitive with the rest of the market. Just because you understand the meaning of value does not make you a SW. Even if I was not to use the rest of the power does that mean I should pay 4x as much for a machine at half the speed? When the G5s where introduced they where extremely competitive. They need to stay that way.

Mac+
2004-05-23, 20:23
Someome PM me the meaning of SW before I go mad! :confused:Gargoyle - I just sent you a PM.

Mac+
2004-05-23, 20:25
ooo ooo a riddle. Its a shame I already know what it means. ...[snip]...

Q. It is something when you do not know what it is. It is nothing when you know what it is. What is it? ;)

DMBand0026
2004-05-23, 20:33
I'll break the silence here...
SW = Spec Whore

Anything else?

Sorry I had to say it, it's for the good of all the members. :)

mark
2004-05-23, 22:08
what's star wars got to do with new g5's and apple? :confused:

Mac+
2004-05-23, 23:01
Episode I: The Phantom Menace
Episode II: Attack of the Clones
Episode III: Return of the stagnant update cycle :p