PDA

View Full Version : What should I get now that I can't get an iSight?

garyg
2007-01-26, 11:14
I have a Mac Mini (w/Intel CPU and OS 10.4.8), so I don't have a built-in webcam
and the only iSights out there are being offered for well over the
original price.

A MacMall person recommended an Ezionics iContact Pro II

Anyone agree/disagree? Is Firewire or USB better?

Thanks in advance for any advice....

Gary

zippy
2007-01-26, 11:22
I'd wait a bit if you can, because I think Apple will be coming out with an all new iSight sometime this year, possibly Spring. Mind you, this is purely speculation, but speculation that a lot of people seem to agree with.

If you really need something in the meantime, I'd recommend getting something pretty affordable, so that you won't feel like you wasted your money if you want to pick up an iSight when/if they are released. As for specific recommendations, I unfortunately don't have any experience with alternatives, so I can't help you there.

garyg
2007-01-26, 12:13
I'd wait a bit if you can, because I think Apple will be coming out with an all new iSight sometime this year, possibly Spring. Mind you, this is purely speculation, but speculation that a lot of people seem to agree with.

If you really need something in the meantime, I'd recommend getting something pretty affordable, so that you won't feel like you wasted your money if you want to pick up an iSight when/if they are released. As for specific recommendations, I unfortunately don't have any experience with alternatives, so I can't help you there.
OK, thanks. I saw elsewhere that someone was suggesting a DV camcorder but since I hardly use the analog camcorder I bought in 1989 I can't see getting a DV one that I'd be primarily using as a webcam.

As for Apple's plans, well I figured (as did others) that they'd announce a product at MacWorld (rather than leave the field to the competition).
As I understand it, the iSight was pulled in Europe because of some environmental concerns but Apple is still including iSight with many other new products (especially laptops), so why can't someone in the US buy it as a standalone product?

bassplayinMacFiend
2007-01-26, 12:28
The iSight built into new Apple products isn't the same as the standalone version. For one thing, it connects via USB vs. Firewire for the standalone version. IIRC, the standalone version also included a built-in microphone.

omem
2007-07-17, 16:37
Sorry to bump such an old thread but I'm also looking for an iSight alternative for my iMac G5. Please suggest!

neiltc13
2007-07-17, 17:39
Xbox Live Vision (an Xbox 360 accessory) works with Mac OS X and should provide good quality video. It's €49.99 and you will find it in game stores and good computer stores.

I am unsure whether it has a built in microphone. I know that it is supplied with an Xbox only headset but I don't know if the camera itself has one.

Windowsrookie
2007-07-17, 17:41
No, the camera does not have a mic, all Macs have a mic built in I believe though.

bassplayinMacFiend
2007-07-17, 22:51
Every Mac I've encountered since 2001 has had a built-in microphone.

I have found my Firewire capable Mini-DV camcorder will work as a Firewire video & audio source. I've even used it as a barcode scanner with Delicious Library.

Sargasm
2007-07-18, 00:27
Man, I really should sell my iSight. I hardly ever use this thing.

Windowsrookie
2007-07-18, 00:29
I don't get why apple decided to dump it and not replace it. It was a really nice webcam.

PB PM
2007-07-18, 00:44
A nicely overpriced webcam to boot. ;)

bassplayinMacFiend
2007-07-18, 07:14
I don't get why apple decided to dump it and not replace it. It was a really nice webcam.

It wasn't compliant with the new EU rules regarding dangerous compounds in electronic components.

rasmits
2007-07-18, 07:37
A nicely overpriced webcam to boot. ;)
Way, hideously overpriced.

I'll throw in another recommendation for the Xbox cam. That's what I use - it works great.

chris e boy
2007-07-18, 08:09
Every Mac I've encountered since 2001 has had a built-in microphone.

Mac Minis do not have built in Microphones.

bassplayinMacFiend
2007-07-18, 08:45
Mac Minis do not have built in Microphones.

I have not encountered a Mac mini. :D

psmith2.0
2007-07-18, 12:06

I wish they'd redesign it (to meet all the EU standards, or whatever the hell that is) and then sell them in two-packs (or offer a significant discount if you buy two). Unless you've got someone else to talk to, they're not much use (PhotoBooth notwithstanding). That's what they should've done from the very start...there would be a lot more of them out there in use, IMO. Friends could go in together on them, or people could buy the two-pack and send the other to their good friend who now lives on the other side of the state (or country). It would've built some natural push/reason to exist.

Enough two-packs sold, and friends staying in touch so easily, and word gets around very quick. I think most Mac users would've laid out $129 to get two (even if they weren't FireWire-based, just as long as they worked seamlessly and solidly). But $149 for one was a bit much. I never bought one, although I regret it now because all my friends are flung all over the country.

As tempting as it is to look into this Microsoft one, or another third-party unit, I know I'll have a new MacBook by October or November, so I can ride it out a bit longer I think...

Dorian Gray
2007-07-18, 12:28
I doubt Apple discontinued the iSight solely because it no longer met EU regs. More likely its sales were falling steadily. Part of the reason for that is that internet connections are still too slow to take advantage of the high quality video the iSight offered, hence people think cheap webcams are good enough (and they probably are when the quality is limited by bandwidth rather than optics).

Anyway, if you're looking for a good webcam you could do worse than the Philips SPC900NC (http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/s/spc900nc_00/spc900nc_00_pss_eng.pdf) (link to PDF file). My girlfriend bought this a while ago and I've used it myself on my Mac, so I know for a fact it works with OS X (with the macam driver (http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/)). It's probably not as good as the iSight (what is?) but it's much better than the cheap Logitech models, which in turn are better than pretty much all the other brands. However some of the high-end Logitech webcams now feature Carl Zeiss optics so they probably take webcam quality to another level, but I can't personally vouch for them.

zippy
2007-07-18, 14:37
I wish they'd redesign it (to meet all the EU standards, or whatever the hell that is) and then sell them in two-packs (or offer a significant discount if you buy two). Unless you've got someone else to talk to, they're not much use (PhotoBooth notwithstanding). That's what they should've done from the very start...there would be a lot more of them out there in use, IMO. Friends could go in together on them, or people could buy the two-pack and send the other to their good friend who now lives on the other side of the state (or country). It would've built some natural push/reason to exist.

Enough two-packs sold, and friends staying in touch so easily, and word gets around very quick. I think most Mac users would've laid out $129 to get two (even if they weren't FireWire-based, just as long as they worked seamlessly and solidly). But $149 for one was a bit much. I never bought one, although I regret it now because all my friends are flung all over the country.

As tempting as it is to look into this Microsoft one, or another third-party unit, I know I'll have a new MacBook by October or November, so I can ride it out a bit longer I think...

And make them Windows compatible!

omem
2007-07-18, 17:48
Man, I really should sell my iSight. I hardly ever use this thing.

I'm interested, at a decent price. :)

Xbox Live Vision (an Xbox 360 accessory) works with Mac OS X and should provide good quality video. It's €49.99 and you will find it in game stores and good computer stores.

I am unsure whether it has a built in microphone. I know that it is supplied with an Xbox only headset but I don't know if the camera itself has one.
thanks!

chris e boy
2007-07-24, 07:45
I have not encountered a Mac mini. :D

Well played :p

Nabber
2007-08-09, 12:05
I talked with Apple today about their recommended webcam for a MacPro user. It's the Logitech Quickcam Fusion. I may try one of their newer models first and return it if it doesn't work.

Koodari
2007-08-23, 08:09
Bumpity bumpity.

I have been looking for an used iMac G5 with iSight. However, the going rate for them is so high here I'm starting to think a brand new mini + display would cost almost the same, esp. considering the mini will soon come with Leopard and iLife. But I still want a webcam without a mess on the desk.

I know "USB Video Class" cams like the Logitech Quickcam 5000 Pro should work out of the box now. Can someone here confirm they have a fully working camera without special drivers or setup? I'd like to keep the system as stock as possible, and I need rock solid operation, the folks using this machine won't be able to troubleshoot anything and I don't have reasonable access to fix problems.

What about individual app compatibility -

iChat? iChatUSBCam no longer needed?
Skype?
Photo Booth? (Will be standard on Leopard so I'll have a legit copy.)

Suggestions for a USB Video Class cam with mike, attaching to display, and reasonable price are welcome. It would be great if it was as invisible as possible. "Quickcam plastic discoball" looks aren't exactly nice. The display will likely be silver color, Samsung, LG etc.

If I find one suitable enough I'll probably get another for my own use on external display. I don't want to position the MB for iSight use, I want it lid shut and out of sight.

rasmits
2007-08-23, 08:16
I think your question was just answered:

The Logitech Quickcam Fusion (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-961403-0403-Quickcam-Fusion/dp/B000AA2IC8) is small and fully supported by the OS X system and applications. It's also apparently the cam that Apple Store employees recommend to Mac Pro / Mac Mini users.

But really - any logitech / microsoft / creative cam will work with OS X. That includes Skype, Yahoo! Messenger, iChat, Photobooth, Quicktime, iMovie, etc etc etc. I assure you, you can go to Best Buy, PC World, or wherever and pick up a small, clippable logitech like the Fusion and it will work.

Koodari
2007-08-23, 08:41
Hmm.. I don't really like Fusion's looks, and it costs ~90€ whereas the also ugly Quickcam 5000 Pro is ~50€. That's a difference I'd really rather not pay, much less pay twice.

edit:
Also, picking up a cam at random is not a good idea. Only a third or so of Logitech cams support UVC.
http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/logitech_en_amr.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5336

edit 2:
Amazingly, the XBox Live camera looks neatest *and* cheapest of the bunch. It just doesn't have a mic and screen attachment. It might not look bad at all if I rigged a screen attachment somehow. Something like small velcro strips superglued on the bottom of the camera and top of the screen should work. How expensive are cheapo USB microphones?

edit 3:
Apparently, not expensive at all. Logitech's is 20€. The regular would be 10€ but I recall Macs don't work directly with analog mics because they expect line level input, not mic level.. ?

Koodari
2007-08-23, 09:46
Well, the questions are answered now. The computer project is starting to sound like a mess.

The 17" iMac with integrated graphics would be a perfect fit for my purposes. I called and asked Apple, and no 17" is available anymore even for edu customers. I currently have a bid of 650€ on the used rev B G5. If someone outbids me, I think I'll have to move onto the frankenstein mini solution. I'd much rather buy a 900€ new iMac at Leopard time if Apple just offered one. :\

Boomerangmacuser
2007-08-23, 14:31
Alas, the old 17" iMac is limited to corporate/bulk edu purchasers, not individuals in the edu field. :(

Koodari
2007-08-23, 16:01
Alas, the old 17" iMac is limited to corporate/bulk edu purchasers, not individuals in the edu field. :(I just asked right off the bat if they have it for education customers. Didn't talk about amount. They said no. Maybe they assumed I wanted just one, or else they don't sell it in the EU at all anymore.

atomicbartbeans
2007-09-04, 14:39
I recently purchased a Logitech Quickcam (the notebook version)... it's a nice piece of hardware but doesn't work without macam and iChatUSBCam (which costs money and makes the framerate suck).

I'm looking to return it and pick up an Xbox Vision Camera... how mountable is it to a notebook's display?

Anyone have any tips? :D

atomicbartbeans
2007-09-04, 16:18
By the way, wow... the Xbox Live Vision looks *nice* in video chats... better than my friend's built-in MacBook camera. Very nice gain in low lighting too.

omem
2007-10-28, 16:07
Has anyone tested one of those Xbox Live Vision webcams on Leopard?

Does it work with iChat? If so, does it require any aditional software? (macam, iChatUSB...)

chucker
2007-10-28, 16:12
Has anyone tested one of those Xbox Live Vision webcams on Leopard?

Does it work with iChat? If so, does it require any aditional software? (macam, iChatUSB...)

http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/cameras/camera.php?id=520 says it'll work without macam as long as you have 10.4.3 or newer.

omem
2007-10-28, 18:58
http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/cameras/camera.php?id=520 says it'll work without macam as long as you have 10.4.3 or newer.

They also say that my Trust Sp@ce cam 150 works but it doesn't. Only works in the macam standalone app, not in iChat.

I bought a Creative Live! Cam Vista IM based on this list http://www.ecamm.com/mac/ichatusbcam/configs.html but it doesn't work. I guess I'll just have to trade it for the xbox one, which is over double the price but, oh well...

chucker
2007-10-29, 00:55
They also say that my Trust Sp@ce cam 150 works but it doesn't. Only works in the macam standalone app, not in iChat.

If it works in the macam stand-alone app but not in iChat, then you probably either need to install iChatUSBCam, update your OS X or install/reinstall/update the macam QuickTime component. ;)

atomicbartbeans
2007-10-29, 09:56
Even after having the Xbox camera for a couple months I still love it... also works with Photo Booth and flash-based things like Stickam. I only wish there was a proper notebook mount available.

Reid
2007-11-02, 16:37
Has anyone used any from the Logitech Quickcam Notebook series? They seem to get good reviews on Amazon, but those are all PC users. I believe any Logitech cam that is "Vista Certified" is UVC-compliant, and will thus work with Mac OS X 10.4.9 or greater without additional drivers.

They have a super cheap one just called the Logitech Quickcam Notebook (not Deluxe or Pro) for like $40, but I'm unclear if that one has UVC support or if you have to step up to the higher-end models.

Just looking for an inexpensive Christmas gift for my sisters, who both have the last-model iBook, and both live out-of-state. It would be nice to see them once in a while via iChat!