PDA

View Full Version : i bought A powerbook

meepzork
2007-01-28, 03:18
i want to do some basic multitrack recording with a firewire interface and garageband or logic.

G4 titanium 15" 1ghz, 1gb ram, 60gb hdd, superdrive

any ideas or pointers?

Yontsey
2007-01-28, 03:29
how many tracks are you talking?

also, how professional are you talking?

what are you going to be using it for? instruments, straight vocals?

meepzork
2007-01-28, 03:36
not "professional" at all. i just want a decent recording of some jams with my friends. all real instruments and vocals. i would hope to be able to record 8 tracks (im looking at getting the alesis io26)

Yontsey
2007-01-28, 03:39
a cheaper route, if you wanted to go that way, would be just a simple m-audio firewire/usb interface and a mixer. itll all be recorded on 1 track through garageband but you can adjust the levels through the mixer.

meepzork
2007-01-28, 03:43
ive looked into that with several products and it dont get the result i want. so now im looking into this alesis interface

im more concerned with how you think this pbook will be able to handle a project like this

spikeh
2007-01-28, 07:46
I'd perhaps see about getting another gigabyte of RAM in there. Otherwise, it should be fine, if a little slow running with all that DATA INPUT.

PB PM
2007-01-28, 12:16
That would not be possible, the Titanium Powerbooks can take 1GB RAM max (512 x 2). Depending on how much you are recording you might want an external drive though.

Brave Ulysses
2007-01-28, 13:47
i want to do some basic multitrack recording with a firewire interface and garageband or logic.

G4 titanium 15" 1ghz, 1gb ram, 60gb hdd, superdrive

any ideas or pointers?

How much did you pay? Just curious.

PB PM
2007-01-28, 17:39
They tend to go for $450-$700 on ebay so if you paid more it was most likely a rip off.

meepzork
2007-01-29, 02:08
i paid $400 and im very happy with it.

i have a question about the external drive becaue no matter what model powerbook/ibook/macbook someone is using they always say to use an external drive. do you get the benefit by booting to the drive or just from storing the data there?

Brad
2007-01-29, 02:20
The only benefits to using an external hard drive are that it adds more storage space (obviously) and that it may be faster than your internal hard drive.

The major drawback, though, is that you'll have to lug around and plug in that device everywhere you go. That can get annoying quickly.

I do have an external drive for my old 12" PowerBook, but I only use it for storing non-essential, non-work-related files such as my iTunes music library. That way I don't have to stress about taking it everywhere I go and finding a place to plug it in.

Another option is to simply upgrade the internal hard drive in the PowerBook to a larger capacity. This can be a tricky procedure that will be difficult for beginners, but there are detailed instructions (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/PowerBook-G4-Ti-DVI/Hard-Drive) online.