PDA

View Full Version : edu discount--quick question

thegelding
2007-01-31, 09:42
can you get your edu discount at an apple store...i usually buy my stuff at apple.com but i was wondering, can i go to my local store and buy a laptop and desktop and still get the edu discount??

g

Wyatt
2007-01-31, 09:46
As long as you have a school ID, yes. I've used EDU discounts in-store for everything from computers to video output adapters.

beardedmacuser
2007-01-31, 09:56
can you get your edu discount at an apple store...i usually buy my stuff at apple.com but i was wondering, can i go to my local store and buy a laptop and desktop and still get the edu discount??

g

Yes, but you may not get as large a discount as you can online in the right circumstances (in the UK you get a greater discount if you can get to the Apple Store for Education through your institution's network; but I don't know about anywhere else). Also, here in the UK you can't get an education discount on software purchased in an Apple Store (but you can online).

Wyatt
2007-01-31, 09:57
Yes, but you may not get as large a discount as you can online in the right circumstances (in the UK you get a greater discount if you can get to the Apple Store for Education through your institution's network; but I don't know about anywhere else). Also, here in the UK you can't get an education discount on software purchased in an Apple Store (but you can online).
That's interesting. I don't know if there's a software limitation in the states, but I know I was able to get my MBP at the same price as I would have paid online. Same for accessories in the states--I got the same price as was listed online.

alcimedes
2007-01-31, 10:16
No software, hardware only. If you're buying for yourself it's fine to buy in-store, if you're buying through your school (from school funds) it needs to be through your online school store if you have one set up.

Wyatt
2007-01-31, 10:17
No software, hardware only. If you're buying for yourself it's fine to buy in-store, if you're buying through your school (from school funds) it needs to be through your online school store if you have one set up.
That sucks. So I'll have to buy Leopard online and wait for it (if I buy it at all), then.

I wonder what the logic is behind that.

AWR
2007-01-31, 11:32
Piggy-backing on thegelding's thread (thanks, g):

Is their a hard and fast rule about the edu discount regarding age? I ask because we have a five year old who, whenever we let him!, is all over the computer (pbskids, reader rabbit, etc.) and we are also in the market for a MacBook. Any chance of "him" using the discount?

dmegatool
2007-01-31, 11:38
I just started a little business with some ohter guy that are at the university. Can we buy a laptop, let say with the company credit card, and use the student ID of one of the guy ? Does the student name need the appear somewhere or is it just based with the student ID ?

The laptop need to be to the company... comtability stuff propably. Maybe so if someone got fired, he don't walk away with a laptop :)

Brave Ulysses
2007-01-31, 12:28
I just started a little business with some ohter guy that are at the university. Can we buy a laptop, let say with the company credit card, and use the student ID of one of the guy ? Does the student name need the appear somewhere or is it just based with the student ID ?

The laptop need to be to the company... comtability stuff propably. Maybe so if someone got fired, he don't walk away with a laptop :)

Just need a student ID

And no, a 5 year old does not count.

Bryson
2007-01-31, 12:35
Why doesn't a 5 year old count? They sell software (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=B12D1A12&nplm=TD276LL%2FA) for 4 year olds. They go to school, why don't they count? The Edu discount is for K-12 teachers, but you don't qualify as a student until college. That seems...odd. Do schoolkids not deserve a discount? Boo.

AWR
2007-01-31, 12:53
I wonder why little beezers don't count, too. You'd think they'd want to get people hooked at any age. In fact, the younger the better.

And, he's actually using the computer.

Perhaps, they assume that college kids might be on their own buying this stuff. This might be the case in some instances, but saving USD 100 isn't going to put you through uni. And if money was that tight, you might have to settle for a cheapo PC for a few years.

By the way, I might have to checkout that software that you linked to, Bryson. Cheers.

Brave Ulysses
2007-01-31, 12:57
Why doesn't a 5 year old count? They sell software (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=B12D1A12&nplm=TD276LL%2FA) for 4 year olds. They go to school, why don't they count? The Edu discount is for K-12 teachers, but you don't qualify as a student until college. That seems...odd. Do schoolkids not deserve a discount? Boo.

Your post angers me for so many reasons.

Perhaps Apple should just give an education discount to everyone with a child... ya know, cuz that wouldn't be financially stupid.

AWR
2007-01-31, 13:06
Next time try addressing the points, BU. :rolleyes:

(And I'm not sure this is something to get angry about.)

Eugene
2007-01-31, 13:14
It's more complicated than that I think. Apple simply doesn't carry most of its own academic SKUs in store, so you can't just take the retail version (MA715Z/A) of Aperture and get the academic version's (MA716Z/A) price for it.

In contrast, something like the OS X retail box only has one SKU, so you might be able to get academic pricing on that.

Bryson
2007-01-31, 13:23
Your post angers me for so many reasons.

Perhaps Apple should just give an education discount to everyone with a child... ya know, cuz that wouldn't be financially stupid.Angers you? You should get out more. Try getting angry about stuff that matters...

Brave Ulysses
2007-01-31, 13:32
ok.

I wonder why little beezers don't count, too. You'd think they'd want to get people hooked at any age. In fact, the younger the better.

They are a for profit corporation. Their interest is in making profit. Their interest is not in hooking 5 year olds. You say they will get hooked. If that were the case, Apple would be dominating marketshare now as the majority of todays parents who grew up with computers in a school, used an Apple.

And, he's actually using the computer.

I wish he wasn't. I'm a firm believer that computers have ruined K-12 education and made today's children lazy, less social, worse speakers, and in some cases, had negative influences on their health.

Perhaps, they assume that college kids might be on their own buying this stuff. This might be the case in some instances, but saving USD 100 isn't going to put you through uni.

College students are a specific market segment Apple is targetting and has always targetted. They are on the brink of entering the professional field. They have tight budgets, they all must own computers, and they are trendy. The discount is to get them interested and it in most cases just about wipes out the tax on the machine. It's not too generous, but it ain't that bad either. The more generous discounts or for software and that's mostly because if Apple doesn't offer the students cheap software licenses, they'll just steal it anyway. it's better to tempt a student to be legal and purchase Final Cut Studio for $299 rather than charge the full price and have them just bootleg it and make nothing.

They sell software for 4 year olds

So does Best Buy. Go ask best Buy for an education discount for your 4 year old.

They go to school, why don't they count?

See previous explanation.

he Edu discount is for K-12 teachers, but you don't qualify as a student until college. That seems...odd.

Teachers buying a computer for themselves. Students buying a computer for themselves. You want a 5 year old to buy a computer for you.

(And I'm not sure this is something to get angry about.)

It's annoying to see people so petty about everything that they always have to complain and try to take advantage of a generous system when it doesn't fit their desires.

People who abuse the ADC Student Developer membership hardware discount also annoy me.

Angers you? You should get out more. Try getting angry about stuff that matters...

Thank you. I will try to get out more to see the light.

JK47
2007-01-31, 14:20
Perhaps Apple should just give an education discount to everyone with a child... ya know, cuz that wouldn't be financially stupid.
Actually, the point was that Apple should provide an education discount to any student, not any child. :rolleyes:

v.noir
2007-01-31, 15:01
The terms of the online education store in the UK state that you must be over 18, in addition to being a student - no nippers allowed!

screensaver400
2007-02-01, 13:56
That sucks. So I'll have to buy Leopard online and wait for it (if I buy it at all), then.

I wonder what the logic is behind that.

When I bought Tiger online with EDU discount, it arrived a day before the official launch.

Brave Ulysses
2007-02-01, 14:05
Actually, the point was that Apple should provide an education discount to any student, not any child. :rolleyes:

:confused: When your child reaches age 5, he too can become a student someday like every other child.:rolleyes:

Bryson
2007-02-01, 14:11
I know what you're trying to say BU, but you might want to rephrase that a little....

Wyatt
2007-02-01, 15:32
When I bought Tiger online with EDU discount, it arrived a day before the official launch.
That's interesting. I guess I don't mind as much, then. :p