PDA

View Full Version : Boot Camp: OEM version of Windows?

rcr3car
2007-02-04, 09:44
I want to by an iMac. However, the salesman at the Apple store says that in order to install Windows on the Mac, I need the full retail version of Windows XP SP2. He says the OEM version of XP that came with ny soon to be retired Dell would not work. Is this true? is there some hidden code on XP that would keep it from being installed on another machine? Would it work if I purchased Paralles?

I am not trying to cheat anyone...just move software I own from a machine that is being retired to a new machine.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Brad
2007-02-04, 10:28
There's no "hidden code", but my understanding is that OEM versions of Windows can only be activated for one machine. Windows activation entails getting an Internet connection and allowing Windows to send various information about your computer to Microsoft so it can track the number of times you have installed it. If it looks like you are abusing the license by installing it on too many machines, Microsoft's system will refuse activation and your use of Windows will be extremely limited.

So, while you could probably install it, you might have to contact Microsoft and make an argument for why you should be able to have it on your Mac. Of course, if I am mistaken and the OEM license allows more than one activation, this shouldn't be a problem at all.

chucker
2007-02-04, 10:47
It depends. OEM ≠ OEM. :) Some vendors sell vendor-locked versions of Windows.

Wyatt
2007-02-04, 10:52
The problem is not that OEM versions of XP only work on one machine. It's that you don't actually have an XP disc. You have a "restore" disc that uses an image to just overwrite the entire contents of your hard drive, rather than going through the typical XP install. Every major PC manufacturer, including Dell, uses this method.

Brad is right about the activation process. Microsoft won't activate your copy of XP, since it isn't installed on the original machine. Once your 30 day activation period is up, you won't be able to use XP at all. Your use won't just be limited like Brad said. Your use of XP will end.

Just stay legal and buy a copy of XP. You can get it fairly cheaply online. It's not uncommon to find it for less than $100. Now that Vista's out, I bet you can find it even cheaper.

chucker
2007-02-04, 11:04
The problem is not that OEM versions of XP only work on one machine. It's that you don't actually have an XP disc. You have a "restore" disc

That isn't universally true either.

An OEM version of XP can be:
A) a full disc. It has its own set of license keys, but they're not limited to any vendor or any amount of installations. The only limitation, aside from lacking a physical box with documentation etc. is that you're supposed to buy it in conjunction with a piece of hardware, but even this isn't necessarily relevant, depending on the country you live in. When you buy XP OEM on, say, NewEgg, you get a fully functional disc.
B) a full disc with a vendor-locked license key. Only some vendors do this; I'm not positive if DELL is one of them. Fujitsu, for one, frequently does this. You can typically use a different key and the disc will work fine.
C) a restore-only disc. DELL is a particularly notorious perpetrator of this, but you can ask them not to (when purchasing your machine) for a fee of $10 or whatever.

AtlantaX
2007-02-05, 01:57
Yes, you need to own a copy of windows to legally use it - on pc or mac - doesn't matter.

And it has to be a Windows XP Service Pack 2 disk. If you have a non-SP2 disk and want to make it a bootable SP2 disk, click here -
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html

I used these instructions and it worked great in creating a bootable Win XP SP2 disk.

Some suggestions on how to get this cheap. If you work for a large company that would have a Microsft Enterprise Liscence, they you qualify for the Microsoft Home Use program. I bought my Windows disk from them for 19.95. I also purchased the Professional version of Office for Windows for 19.95 and Office for Mac 2004 for 19.95. Now, I can run both operating system as needed and i'll have a copy of the full office suite in both environments.

If you're company doesn't participate, search the web, ebay. I bought my original Windows disk, way back at launch time, from an online site for $24,99. Came with just a disk and product key. It validates fine with the Genuine Advantage system.

One thing to note, Microsoft specifially forbids using Vista in an emulated mode. It's in their EULA. So, you are technically in violation of their liscense if you use parallels to emulate a Vista session while running OSX. It's ok if you boot to vista though, because that's native and not emulated.