PDA

View Full Version : Burning a CD on a G3iMac usng 10.2.8

Mac+
2004-10-13, 03:51
I am trying to test the CD-RW capabilities of this iMac I have bought for my parents. I feel like a "doofus" b/c I have never had to burn a CD before in my life. :o

I thought you could just drag a folder of Word docs (for example) onto the CD image on the Desktop and they would be copied over. But this does not seem to be working.

I checked the Apple knowledge base and found this convoluted method:
The Disk Copy utility in Mac OS X 10.2 allows you to burn to the same disc two or more times until it is full, which is known as creating a multi-session CD.

To create a multi-session CD, use the Disk Copy utility to create a disk image file from which the CD is burned. Follow these steps:

Drag the item or items you wish to burn into a folder.

Open Disk Copy (/Applications/Utilities/).

Drag the folder onto the Disk Copy window. The Image Folder dialog appears.

Choose a location for the image file using the Where pop-up menu. For simplicity, you may choose Desktop.

Click Save. Wait for the image to be finished.

Select Burn Image from the File menu. The image file should not be mounted.

In the navigation dialog that appears, select the image you just created, then click Burn. If you have not already inserted a blank disc, you will be prompted to do so now.

In the Burn Disc window, click the disclosure triangle.

Select the checkbox for "Allow additional burns".

A disc burned with this setting will remain open to subsequent multi-session burns.

Additional burns on same disc

When performing additional burns on the multi-session disc, simply repeat Steps 1 to 7. The "Allow additional burns" setting selected in Steps 8 and 9 should automatically be retained for that disc on subsequent burns. Each new burn session on the disc will appear in the Finder as a separate disk, and it will have the name of the disk image file from which you burned it.
Surely this can't be *THE* way to do it? Is there something easier?

TIA. :)

Mac+
2004-10-14, 08:06
Don't worry - I learnt two things today.
1) to burn the CD in 10.2.8 just copy files over and then drag the CD icon to trash - which then becomes a burner :rolleyes: ... now *that* is easy to figure out. :no:
2) I had to do install OS 9 and the issues that followed ... forget about it.

Long story short - I finally have a G3 iMac set up for my folks with OS X only + 512MB RAM in addition to the original Airport Card I bought and installed too. I hope they appreciate it!

chung123
2004-10-18, 08:25
Long story short - I finally have a G3 iMac set up for my folks with OS X only + 512MB RAM in addition to the original Airport Card I bought and installed too. I hope they appreciate it!

You should consider upgrading that iMac to 10.3 Panther.

It makes a big difference for older G3 Macs, performance wise.
Jaguar is pretty responsive--but Panther runs soooo much nicer.

Sounds like a nice setup...wireless too...I'm sure your parents love it.

Mac+
2004-10-18, 19:12
Thanks for the reply chung123 - I did not upgrade to Panther myself and now I am sort of torn between waiting for Tiger or purchasing a copy of Panther at this late stage of the game.

With regard to the wireless, I thought I should get that too, since those airport cards were off the market (from Apple) ... now I have to find an old Airport Base Station I guess.

Yes, my folks were very happy with the computer - but to give you an idea of where they are at with computers here are two comments:

Dad - looking at me bring the indigo iMac up the stairs - "Where's the computer?" :lol:
Mum - once she has logged in for the first time - "So, how do we get to Free Cell?" :rolleyes:

Oh well, at least they're switching! ;)