PDA

View Full Version : Need new All-in-one printer tomorrow

PKIDelirium
2007-02-08, 17:56
Okay, so my Epson Stylus CX4800 Printer/Scanner/Cardreader has kicked the bucket. The scanner and card reader still works fine, but the paper feeders are FUBAR, it starts up and promptly mangles up the paper. I've been unable to fix this, and the unit is out of warranty, has been since March.

I'm looking for a new one and I need to get it tomorrow. I don't think I want to get another Epson, so I've been looking at the Canon Pixma line, specifically these models:

MP180, MP510, MP460.

The reviews for it are mostly good except they all seem to have subpar scanning quality. Are there any other good brands/models of all in one units that have great quality for photo printing, as well as photo and other scanning? I'd also like to have a multicard reader on it for the sake of convenience, but it's not a requirement as I have a USB one.

jondaapplegeek
2007-02-08, 18:09
I don't think I want to get another Epson,

I can't suggest a model, but wanted to back up this point. I would never get an Epson again - I've had to many problems with those I've previously had / used. Horrible!

turtle
2007-02-08, 18:30
I have the MP830 and love it! It does everything I need and then some. The software woks great with my MacBook and the scan quality is pretty good too. Print quality is wonderful, though as with most inkjets, it can be very thirsty.

I never use the fax feature on it, though I'm sure it would work great too.

PKIDelirium
2007-02-08, 20:13
Okay thanks, that's good that the software works good. I'm staying away from HP like the plague due to their absolutely crappy software.

I know some people on here dislike all in one units, but I just don't have the desk space at all for a separate printer and scanner, especially since I don't use the scanner all that frequently anyway.

Dave
2007-02-08, 20:23
I can't suggest a model, but wanted to back up this point. I would never get an Epson again - I've had to many problems with those I've previously had / used. Horrible!

I've owned one epson myself, and members of my family have owned a couple more. I can't say that I was horribly impressed, but I will say that they were replaced because they got obscenely old and epson stopped releasing new drivers for them. AFAIK, they all still work, if you can find an OS 9 machine to hook them up to.

To stay on topic, Epson has a color laser printer/copier/color faxer for I think $400 if you get the factory refurb.

Oh, forgot two things. 1) the OP doesn't want another Epson. Well, HP and Canon make pretty good stuff. 2) it's the AL-CX11NF, if anyone's curious.

MSFT
2007-02-08, 22:38
I haven't tested any all-in-one Canons, but I've used dozens of HPs. And out of all the machines that I've ever used, HP products are the best when it comes to printing/scanning/faxing/whatever.

spotcatbug
2007-02-09, 08:03
My Epson 740c was the best printer I ever had. It was a little workhorse. That was a long time ago, though. Epsons are probably totally different now.

Dorian Gray
2007-02-09, 10:14
If you haven't got it yet you might want to consider the new Kodak printers announced on Tuesday (check the Kodak website (http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-locale=en_US&pq-path=2/6868&_requestid=10162) for details). Perez, the big chief at Kodak, used to work at HP, and has now decided that Kodak's future is in the inkjet market. They're coming in swinging, in a pretty dramatic attempt to turn the industry on its head. Nobody knows how these things perform yet, but ink costs are way lower than for other printers (and they use proper pigment-based inks), and Kodak usually gets the tech stuff right (management and marketing is another issue).

PKIDelirium
2007-02-09, 11:44
Hmm...

I'm going out to the mall in a few hours, I'm going to check Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart and Sam's Club, see what's there.

I haven't tested any all-in-one Canons, but I've used dozens of HPs. And out of all the machines that I've ever used, HP products are the best when it comes to printing/scanning/faxing/whatever.

Yeah, they're junk now, at least the all-in-ones. This is actually my second. First one was the CX4600, got it with my iBook in March 2005. It kicked the bucket in December, same exact problem as this one: Paper feeders f'd up, mangled up the paper as soon as it started feeding. They replaced it under warranty, and now it's done it again, and the warranty died in March. :\

I printed out the CNET reviews on various models, so I'm taking those with me later.

*Puts on anti-Best Buy Warranty shields*

tacvbo83
2007-02-09, 12:22
The Canon MP460 is what I use and it is awesome; especially with the optional bluetooth which I have. Got it for $90 at my local Best Buy.

PKIDelirium
2007-02-09, 19:04
Just got back from Staples. I went with the HP PhotoSmart C4180. The Canons in the same price range were just really chinsy and flimsily built. And the control layout is a lot nicer than the Canons, and no flimsy hinges like the Canon was.

thegeriatric
2007-02-10, 06:59
Just got back from Staples. I went with the HP PhotoSmart C4180. The Canons in the same price range were just really chinsy and flimsily built. And the control layout is a lot nicer than the Canons, and no flimsy hinges like the Canon was.

Just saw this thread. But if it's any help i have been using a HP C4180 for a while now, very impressed, as you say nice build quality, good prints and a reasonable scanner. What more could you ask for. Cheap too. :) ;)

PKIDelirium
2007-02-10, 12:35
Hmm...

I just read a bunch of reviews on it including the CNET user ratings. They're surprisingly poor for an HP, with all of them citing bad, streaky print quality for photos, grainy scans, and very rapidly using up the ink.

:err:

Good thing I haven't opened the package yet... I might start looking for a different one.

Dave
2007-02-10, 15:33
Hmm...

I just read a bunch of reviews on it including the CNET user ratings. They're surprisingly poor for an HP, with all of them citing bad, streaky print quality for photos, grainy scans, and very rapidly using up the ink.

:err:

Good thing I haven't opened the package yet... I might start looking for a different one.

Yeah, I'm starting to suspect that, at least for printers, HP has become the new "nobody ever got fired for choosing <company>" company. They're a name brand with a good rep and they work well enough, but if you know what you're doing you can find better stuff. At least that was the impression I got when I was looking for an AIO recently.

Satchmo
2007-02-11, 19:59
Yeah, I'm starting to suspect that, at least for printers, HP has become the new "nobody ever got fired for choosing <company>" company. They're a name brand with a good rep and they work well enough, but if you know what you're doing you can find better stuff. At least that was the impression I got when I was looking for an AIO recently.

HP has been excellent in the past. But yes, in recent years, it has lost it's quality standards, rested on it's laurels and other firms stepped up. Companies such as Brother, Samsung and Lexmark all have decent offerings.

PKIDelirium
2007-02-11, 20:11
Well I went over the return policy and I have 14 days from sale date to return it with no restocking fee as long as it's in salable condition. So I'm going to hold on to it for right now, and do some actual self-testing with it. The reviews are mixed, some say the prints suck, some say the prints are great, so I'm going to see for myself first.

bantock101
2007-02-13, 20:45
I've just completed a rather arduous comparison of all-in-ones. I want to be able to fax, scan, and scan film or slides. This really narrows the field. It came down to the HP 7180 for me. (If you are purchasing a new mac, you can get this from apple for $100 off).

The main difference in terms of print quality between HP and Canon as far as specs go, is that the HP will print at 4 pico-liter droplets and the Canon will print at 1 pico-liter droplets. For documents, Canon prints at 5 pico-liter droplets.

PKIDelirium
2007-02-13, 21:00
I've been testing my 4180 today.

Once I figured out the proper settings, I'm getting GREAT photo prints using either Photoshop or HP's printing software. No problems there whatsoever.

Scanning is a mixed bag. HP's scanning software SUCKS badly, the quality is terrible using that. I tried the trial version of VueScan, and it looked MUCH better. I may actually buy VueScan to use with it.

Other than that, this is a pretty great machine, so I think I'm sticking with it.

thegeriatric
2007-02-13, 21:15
Just saw this thread. But if it's any help i have been using a HP C4180 for a while now, very impressed, as you say nice build quality, good prints and a reasonable scanner. What more could you ask for. Cheap too. :) ;)

I've been testing my 4180 today.

Once I figured out the proper settings, I'm getting GREAT photo prints using either Photoshop or HP's printing software. No problems there whatsoever.

Scanning is a mixed bag. HP's scanning software SUCKS badly, the quality is terrible using that. I tried the trial version of VueScan, and it looked MUCH better. I may actually buy VueScan to use with it.

Other than that, this is a pretty great machine, so I think I'm sticking with it.

I do believe the phrase is. I told you so. :D :lol:

But back to being serious, for a moment anyway. Glad you like it, my scans are pretty good with the built in software, but then again i am using it with a PC running Vista.

So software sucks and Vista.....well i think you get the picture. :lol: :)

wecallitfall
2007-02-16, 08:37
Canon all-in ones ae very good

i'd personally recommend a MP600 for the cool scroll wheel or the mp830 for its faxing abilities

MagSafe
2007-02-19, 08:55
Personally i'd avoid HP at all costs, my dad got one of there models at the start of the year and there simply awful. The OS X software you get with it is just appauling, there hasen't been any effort to make it easy to use at all, its as if the folks over at HP tried to get an OS X port completed in as quick a time as possible.

I've got one of the Canon Pixma printers and have had it for around 2 years now, its been perfect since the day I bought it and works brilliantly with OS X.

I'll have to spend a bit more time looking over this thread actually as my dad will probably be taking back the HP All-in-One soon.

turtle
2007-02-19, 12:53
I have to say one thing about Canon that hasn't impressed me is their email response system. Well, lack there of really. My MP830 has some clogged nozzles and they have been there since day one. I never really print photos with it so I never noticed it until after my store return period. I have email Canon twice with no response at all. I've checked my junk mail folder to just to be sure.

Guess I'm going to have to get more determined. :grumble:

rminkler
2007-02-19, 20:30
I highly recommend buying vuescan. All the money you pay for it goes to Ed Hamrick, who works like a dog updating the software.

Also, my 2 cents is that people looking to buy a printer should look at something like the Lexmark e120n, which is a small monochrome network laser printer, for about 120$. Cheap, cheap, cheap and reliable.