PDA

View Full Version : ps3 or 360

tim2006
2007-02-11, 13:18
Trying to decide between 360 or ps3. Will play mostly 3rd party games. would play Halo if got 360.

Bryson
2007-02-11, 13:21
Has Halo.
Isn't ninety-four bajillion dollars.
Depending on which HD DVD format wins, you won't get stuck with the loser.

Brad
2007-02-11, 13:23
Moving to Purchasing Advice.

rasmits
2007-02-11, 13:25
I got the PS3, and I like it a lot. I don't know... Some people are so passionate about their game systems. I imagine this thread will quickly turn ugly.

Once you add the HDD, Wifi, HD DVD, and XBox Live to the 360 they're pretty much the same price.

Artap99
2007-02-11, 13:31
At the moment, the 360 is the better machine. It's been through several runs of R and D, while the PS3 is relatively new and hasn't work all of its bugs out. The PS3 software doesn't come close to that of the 360. However, while the 360 has a larger catalogue of current games, the PS3 has a larger overall catalogue dating back to the PSone.
I'd say to go with the 360, but that's because I like XBOX games more. I'd miss God Of War, but with Sony bleeding franchises, it's only a matter of time until that is no longer exclusive. But then again, I'm not a fan of RPGs. A lot of people can't live without Final Fantasy.

spikeh
2007-02-11, 13:36
I'd go with the 360 for the online experience. I'm going to buy a PS3 in two or three years when they are £100. :)

Quagmire
2007-02-11, 13:41
I got the PS3, and I like it a lot. I don't know... Some people are so passionate about their game systems. I imagine this thread will quickly turn ugly.

Once you add the HDD, Wifi, HD DVD, and XBox Live to the 360 they're pretty much the same price.

The HDD is included in the premium system and live is only $50 a year. It is only when you add the HD-DVD drive that it will make it the same price. I haven't bought it since I want to see which format will win the war before investing my money into it.

I also recommend the 360 and also recommend getting a good HDTV. I have a 19" HDTV LCD and my games look sweet on it. :p There are a lot of jerks on live though and abuse the rep system. A person knocked me down when I was playing Battlestations: Midway and I sunk 4 of the enemies ships before they sunk one of mine and I was surprised on told them about it back in the lobby. The host kicked me because I was sinking him. Also, another person like 11 years old was kicking everyone who went on the Japanese team because he wanted him and a friend to be on it. Of course we kicked there butts due to their stupidity. Anyway, then he kicked me because he didn't want to play with me anymore.

rasmits
2007-02-11, 13:43
The HDD is included in the premium system and live is only $50 a year. It is only when you add the HD-DVD drive that it will make it the same price. I haven't bought it since I want to see which format will win the war before investing my money into it.Oh okay.

turbulentfurball
2007-02-11, 14:09
*looks for Windowsrookie's contribution*

If I had lots of money and a huge PS2 and PS 1 catalogue I'd go for the PS3. If you had an XBox I'd go for that. There will always be older games that you'll want to go back to.

turtle
2007-02-11, 14:16
Read books instead. :)

Wyatt
2007-02-11, 18:56
Some more information would be nice. For example, is money a consideration? Do you want to watch high-def movies? Do you want to play games online? We need more information than "would play Halo".

Personally, I don't think there are enough games available right now to justify the PS3 unless you want Blu Ray movies. I had a 360 for a while and sold it because I didn't play it. I actually recently picked up a PS2 so I could build up a game library and buy a PS3 when the price is more reasonable and there are more games.

JK47
2007-02-11, 19:07
As others said, a PS3 and 360 similarly configured are about the same price. Keep in mind that no matter what you add on to the 360, it will not have the same processing power as the PS3. (Note: you'll need a HDTV to notice the difference.)

It is also important to realize that the 360 has been out for over a year, and has a much wider selection of better games than the PS3. The PS3 will certainly catch up with its' fair share of quality games. It's more of a question of how long you are willing to wait. This spring has quite a few amazing-looking PS3 game releases in store.

Personally, I think the PS3 is a better system. I like the 'all-in-one' approach of the PS3. I don't like tacking a HDD, Wifi, and HD DVD onto a system I just bought. The PS3 is also damn near silent. It also has a free online network.

Quagmire
2007-02-11, 20:17
As others said, a PS3 and 360 similarly configured are about the same price. Keep in mind that no matter what you add on to the 360, it will not have the same processing power as the PS3. (Note: you'll need a HDTV to notice the difference.)

What the 360 lacks in the CPU department is made up in the GPU department. Making that point moot. Hell, even developers developing for each platform said you couldn't tell the difference between the graphics of their games on both consoles. The Cell CPU though is impressive and its potential hasn't been reached yet, but neither has the 360's CPU been pushed to its potential. Pretty much when these systems reach the end of their life then we can come back and say which system was superior in the graphics department.

scratt
2007-02-12, 02:00
Right now.. The best games and the biggest library are on the 360 for sure.
That's why I have one.

I also have a PS3, and my wife has a Wii, so we are not really good people to ask this question, as we would say get them all!

I think in the next 12 months we will see a much better portfolio of games for the PS3, and I also believe that in 2 to 3 years time the PS3 will be the gaming machine, unless a super duper 360 MkII upgrade comes out... The PS3 does have more horsepower than the 360, that is not disputed, but harnessing it will be hard, just like it was in the PS2 initially.

So if you are only buying one, and buying it now. The 360 is what you want.

spikeh
2007-02-12, 09:02
What the 360 lacks in the CPU department is made up in the GPU department. Making that point moot. Hell, even developers developing for each platform said you couldn't tell the difference between the graphics of their games on both consoles. The Cell CPU though is impressive and its potential hasn't been reached yet, but neither has the 360's CPU been pushed to its potential. Pretty much when these systems reach the end of their life then we can come back and say which system was superior in the graphics department.

The general consensus is that the 360 and PS3 will start out at a very similar level, but over the course of their respective lifespans, the PS3 will lead the pack.

Kraetos
2007-02-12, 13:57
If you plan to play Halo 3 at all, then the 360 is obviously the way to go. If the rest of the games you care about are mostly third party, then go with the 360 - it's cheaper, and you're getting the exact same experience (if not better) from most third party games.

Furthermore, I don't see any good exclusive games for the PS3 coming for a couple years. The powerhouse that pushed PS2 sales - GTA - is no longer exclusive to PS. GTA4 will be released simultaneously for 360 and PS3 on 10/16/2007. If you're big into RPGs, FFXIII should be pretty good and also should be coming this year/early next year. But, it might also be followed by an Xbox 360 port, as Square Enix has announced they plan to "support the platforms more evenly" than they did last generation. Of course, if you're into RPGs, Mass Effect is going to be the fucking bomb.

To hugely generalize: if you're into action/adventure: 360. If you're into RPGs: PS3. But this rule is more often than not broken. Resistance: Fall of Man is a solid shooter for PS3. And MGS4 will be PS3 exclusive, to start. And Mass Effect will likely be fucking sweet, for 360.

(If you're into sports games, it doesn't really matter. Most sports games are cross platform, and both consoles have centralized online services... although, there are 10 million 360s out there, and a mere million PS3s out there.)

Finally, neither system has reached their full graphical potential. Neither will for several years. The Xbox will probably be pushed to its limit in a year or two, and the PS3 3-4 years from now - the PS3 will probably take longer because its architecture is so exotic. When maxed, the PS3 will look better. By how much, is unclear, but it will be noticable.

Three things to keep in mind, though: by then, the PS3 will be down in the $400-$150 area... where, IMHO, it should be right now. There's a reason Best Buy and GameStop shelves are packed with 'em. Second, unless console release cycles change dramatically for some reason, the next Xbox will be near release right around then. Lastly, in six generations of video game consoles, the "most powerful" console has never been the marketshare leader. The reason for this is simple: the graphics don't really matter. The games do. You would do yourself a favor if you completely pushed "graphical horsepower" out of your head as a purchasing point, an instead focused on whether or not the current exclusive and upcoming exclusive games are games you want.

Anyways, as a pretty hard core gamer, I can say that I own a Wii and a 360, and a 24" HD screen to use them. I can also say that I don't plan on owning a PS3, unless some indie comes along and releases an exclusive that hits one out of the park, until 2008.

To summarize: I whole-heartedly recommend an Xbox 360. The PS3 currently has nothing really worthwhile (I'd buy Resistance if it was Xbox 360, but I'm not droppin' $600 for it) and actually has a pretty sparse exclusive catalog over the next few years. It'll rack up a few killers: FFXIII, MGS4, God of War 3, and I'll certainly own one eventually. But right now, it doesn't look like it will pull in more killer games than the 360 will, so if you're only gonna buy one, that's how you should go.

Quagmire
2007-02-12, 19:09
The general consensus is that the 360 and PS3 will start out at a very similar level, but over the course of their respective lifespans, the PS3 will lead the pack.

It all depends if the Cell CPU is all what Sony and all the other hypers is cracked up to be. As the 360 does have a better GPU then the PS3. If the Cell CPU falls short on the hype then the PS3 won't be better. If the developers can't write games for the Cell CPU then again PS3 is screwed. But, if the Cell CPU is what it is cracked up to be and developers learn how to take advantage of the Cell CPU, then yes I see the PS3 being the better system. As I said when these systems reach the ends of their cycles, then we can come back to see what system is the best system.

PKIDelirium
2007-02-12, 19:10
Trying to decide between 360 or ps3. Will play mostly 3rd party games. would play Halo if got 360.

Wii

torifile
2007-02-12, 20:06
Wii

+ 360. That's what I've got and I'm in gaming heaven. I just need more time to play!

Windowsrookie
2007-02-12, 21:37
*looks for Windowsrookie's contribution*

Damn. Should have checked AppleNova earlier. Well, I think we all know what I'd buy. :)

And I did, twice. :)

And Kreatos, In a recent interview with Bill Gates they asked if ANY game will look better than Halo 3 on the 360. He said no. Halo 3 is the game everyone wants, it's the game everyone will have, and it's the game everyone will be playing for the next 5+ years.

spikeh
2007-02-12, 21:42
In a recent interview with Bill Gates they asked if ANY game will look better than Halo 3 on the 360. He said no.

Don't tell me he's been hyping the most anticipated game on his console?! Ridiculous! :p I don't believe for a second that Halo 3 will be the best looking game on the 360. If it peaks visually 2 years into its lifespan, the console - not to mention a lot of the appeal of the inevitable Halo 4 "Spiritual Successor" - is fucked.

Windowsrookie
2007-02-13, 01:01
Don't tell me he's been hyping the most anticipated game on his console?! Ridiculous! :p I don't believe for a second that Halo 3 will be the best looking game on the 360. If it peaks visually 2 years into its lifespan, the console - not to mention a lot of the appeal of the inevitable Halo 4 "Spiritual Successor" - is fucked.

I'd say Halo 2 is the best looking game on the original Xbox, still. And Halo 2 is several years old. You forget, Microsoft makes the 360, and owns the company that is making Halo 3. ;)

alcimedes
2007-02-13, 01:17
Wii

He'd have to find one first. :lol:

Partial
2007-02-13, 01:40
I'd say Halo 2 is the best looking game on the original Xbox, still. And Halo 2 is several years old.

Jade Empire and/or Ninja Gaiden

Kraetos
2007-02-13, 01:57
Damn. Should have checked AppleNova earlier. Well, I think we all know what I'd buy. :)

And I did, twice. :)

And Kreatos, In a recent interview with Bill Gates they asked if ANY game will look better than Halo 3 on the 360. He said no. Halo 3 is the game everyone wants, it's the game everyone will have, and it's the game everyone will be playing for the next 5+ years.

Oh god, 100% agreed. I mean, Bill spends a lot of time speaking out of his ass these days, but I'll buy that one, not on the graphics, but on the sheer awesomeness of Halo 3. (I sure hope the Xbox doesn't graphically peak only two years in.) Halo 3 is the first game in a long time that I realistically can envision to dethrone Ocarina of Time from the lofty "best video game of all fucking time, period, end of story." Throne.*

P.S. Kraetos. And yes, I realize the irony of my universal avatar being the name of a character in a game** that is exclusive to the PlayStation platform while I hype the Xbox 360. Don't bother pointing it out.

*Even then, not bloody likely. But I'll settle for second place.
**Yes I am ridiculously excited for 3/13. Even more exciting is that that is my spring break week - hereafter known as "Kratos week."

tim2006
2007-02-13, 14:22
I like sports games, shooters, I prefer to buy the best tech so I dont have to upgrade alot.

spikeh
2007-02-13, 14:30
I'd say Halo 2 is the best looking game on the original Xbox, still. And Halo 2 is several years old. You forget, Microsoft makes the 360, and owns the company that is making Halo 3. ;)

No, I'm aware of that. Halo was the best looking game on the Xbox until Halo 2 came out. Ninja Gaiden is, as has been pointed out, miles better looking than both - I wouldn't expect the 360 to peak graphically just yet. That would be, how you say, "completely retarded".

I like sports games, shooters, I prefer to buy the best tech so I dont have to upgrade alot.

In that case get the 360. You'll get all the sports games you need for either PS3 or 360, but the daddy of console shooters is Halo, and it's only going to be on the 360. Plus you'll save a bunch of money, and you can walk out and buy one tomorrow.

Wyatt
2007-02-13, 14:58
In that case get the 360. You'll get all the sports games you need for either PS3 or 360, but the daddy of console shooters is Halo, and it's only going to be on the 360. Plus you'll save a bunch of money, and you can walk out and buy one tomorrow

If he's in the states, he can buy a PS3 any time he wants, too. There are zero shortages here.

tim2006
2007-02-13, 15:14
if it were not for halo i would go ps3 all the way. does xbox have significant hardware problems.

spikeh
2007-02-13, 15:26
if it were not for halo i would go ps3 all the way. does xbox have significant hardware problems.

I had a Rev. A 360 Premium and it broke after about four months - 3 red lights, the PSU died and it had to go back. My brother bought one around that time and 3 months in it had the same problem. The good news is that the Microsoft are first-class with their product returns and will sort it all out for you, you just need to give them your serial number, a description of the problem and they will ship out a box, pick up the 360, fix and reship it.

The 360 has been through a lot of testing and iterations, though, and it may have improved by now. The PS3 is something of an unknown quantity, but there aren't many reports of faults thus far - certainly not on a scale with the initial 360s.

rasmits
2007-02-13, 15:49
Yeah, the PS3 has been surprisingly reliable thus far. Miraculously, there have been no mass hardware problems.

*bangs head on wood*

Kraetos
2007-02-13, 16:28
My Xbox is fine. My other Xbox from a year ago (read: rev A) is also fine. I think most of the hardware issues have been ironed out.

As for PS3s, last time I was at Best Buy, I went to go and play it. A friendly employee informed me that it had melted itself, and pointed to a small pile of 60GB PS3s, asking if I wanted to buy one.

Bottom line: neither console is invincible. The 360 had a rough start, but I haven't heard of any problems recently. On the other hand, the PS3 has admittedly had a smoother rev. A - but faliures do happen.

Windowsrookie
2007-02-13, 22:38
I'll let you guys know how Halo 3 is soon. :)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/163/389769364_766ee1a2d0_o.png

Maciej
2007-02-14, 00:36
I like my 360, but I've also seen a ps3 on my gorgeous HD tv. The ps3 sure looks good, but I couldn't compare the same game so nothing remotely scientific would come from me comparing them. If you can afford it, I'd go with the ps3.

Kraetos
2007-02-14, 00:46
I'll let you guys know how Halo 3 is soon. :)

Preordered Crackdown = will have it day after release = Halo 3 beta, bitch.

I'll be lookin for ya, WR.

bassplayinMacFiend
2007-02-14, 16:17
I have a Rev A unit (started using on 12/13/05). While I haven't had any troubles, I know of a few hardcore gamer friends that are on their 3rd or 4th unit. MS has extended warranties on all units produced before 1/1/06 for free. The warranty doesn't seem to have an end date, if you have a Rev A unit and you're in the US, MS will repair it for free.

I would assume there were problems with these units since this is the 2nd time MS has freely extended the warranty on all 360 units built before 1/1/06. Still, like I said, I have a Rev A unit that still works great, but among the 20 or so friends I play against online on a weekly basis, I'm in the minority in this aspect.

Windowsrookie
2007-02-14, 17:27
I think the problems people have with the 360 are more their own fault, not Microsoft's. I have friends who put the 360 on the carpet under the TV, next to the heat vent. And they wonder why they have problems.... :rolleyes:

spikeh
2007-02-14, 17:57
I think the problems people have with the 360 are more their own fault, not Microsoft's. I have friends who put the 360 on the carpet under the TV, next to the heat vent. And they wonder why they have problems.... :rolleyes:

You can't blame widespread hardware problems in a product on the users. The 360 had fairly significant problems with overheating, restarting and PSU-nerfing in the early days. Most of them have been resolved, happily, but even the most ardent Microsoft lover couldn't blame the troubles on users keeping their consoles in inappropriate locations.

rasmits
2007-02-14, 18:39
even the most ardent Microsoft lover couldn't blame the troubles on users keeping their consoles in inappropriate locations.Ah, well, have you met Windowsrookie before? This is no ordinary 360 fan.

alcimedes
2007-02-14, 18:44

Um, if original units failed and the new units aren't failing, I'd say that falls squarely on MS's shoulders for a manufacturing failure.

Windowsrookie
2007-02-14, 19:16
Um, if original units failed and the new units aren't failing, I'd say that falls squarely on MS's shoulders for a manufacturing failure.

Three of my friends own original 360's. The only problems ONE of them is having, is overheating issues, and this is because of where he puts the Xbox. Other memebers have pointed out in the thread that they have rev. A Xbox 360s and are working fine. ;)

tim2006
2007-02-14, 20:04

How big of problem is it now

spikeh
2007-02-14, 20:29
Ah, well, have you met Windowsrookie before? This is no ordinary 360 fan.

You could say we've met (http://forums.applenova.com/showpost.php?p=389975&postcount=269). Even he can't get away with this fanboyisming though. :grumble:

How big of problem is it now

As we've been saying throughout, there were a lot (by industry standards) of cases of failures and screw-ups with the initial shipments, and there are far less now. Although no hardware is full-proof or indestructible, the 360 is now as safe a bet as any console.

Three of my friends own original 360's. The only problems ONE of them is having, is overheating issues, and this is because of where he puts the Xbox. Other memebers have pointed out in the thread that they have rev. A Xbox 360s and are working fine. ;)

Hmm? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360#Xbox_360_technical_problems) By waiving the repair-fee for units manufactured before January 1st, Microsoft effectively admitted being at fault for the problems. You can't keep drawing massive, massive generalisations from a tiny sampling of the public. If I was being mean I'd also speculate that your friends may not be the best place to start any kind of research into the matter, but I'm not and won't :p:)

Kraetos
2007-02-15, 02:13
It's safe to say that something was wrong with the first batch of 360s. I chalk this up to MS really wanting it to be out for black friday '05, which they did, and IMO, was worth it.

tim2006
2007-02-18, 18:19
is thre 360 a good bye now or is it yesterdays tech now that ps3 is here.

spikeh
2007-02-18, 18:27
They will have the same life-span, pretty much. The successor to the Xbox may come out earlier than the PS4, but you'll still get games on the 360 well after that has launched. The PS3 doesn't offer much more than the 360 out of the box, and the 360 has a great selection of games currently available. The technology isn't what matters, remember, it's the games that count - they both have big titles, great wireless controllers and HD-DVD playback. They both feature online services, although many believe the 360 is the better deal.

At the end of the day we can't make this choice for you. Perhaps you'd be better off waiting a few years and seeing how things pan out - if not, I'd suggest the 360 given the games you said you liked: Sony have started to lose exclusives, and I can't see that stopping. Ultimately it wouldn't matter if you had bought the most modern kit in the world if it didn't have any decent games to play on it.

torifile
2007-02-18, 18:36
Did you read this thread? Didn't you already ask this question?

Wyatt
2007-02-18, 19:54
I wanted to say something about this earlier, but edited my first reply: please write complete sentences and appropriate punctuation and capitalization. Also, bye and buy are not the same thing. People will take you much more seriously if you write and speak properly. This doesn't just apply to Apple Nova, but also to the rest of your life.

Robo
2007-02-19, 14:46
It depends on what type of games you want to play. That's way more important then specs or price or anything.

There is very little that interests me on the 360. Most of my favorite games are on the PS3 and Wii. Therefore, those are the systems that I'm going to get.

krnholeboy32
2007-02-21, 16:53
owned both sold the ps3 going to wait until next year when I heard slimmer ps3's will be released as well with pricecut and ff 13 and metal gear would already been out for a while

spikeh
2007-02-21, 16:57
Oh man I hate Final Fantasy. The thirteenth one? Seriously? What's final about it?

krnholeboy32
2007-02-21, 17:12
one more thing is that so far all the games on the ps3 is on the xbox 360 except resistance fall of man was a great game but too short or will have them on the 360 with better graphics and faster loading times. So for right now I would say the 360 wins I cant wait till blue dragon is released here and virtual fighter 5 hopefully with xbox live but I will definetly pick up the ps3 next year for mgs4 and ff 13 well maybe i'll read the reviews first.. just incase....

hey final fantasy are bad ass games and its the final fantasy of each game that is made because their all different stories and different characters making it the final quest/fantasy for those characters. lol.

torifile
2007-02-21, 17:27
one more thing is that so far all the games on the ps3 is on the xbox 360 except resistance fall of man was a great game but too short or will have them on the 360 with better graphics and faster loading times. So for right now I would say the 360 wins I cant wait till blue dragon is released here and virtual fighter 5 hopefully with xbox live but I will definetly pick up the ps3 next year for mgs4 and ff 13 well maybe i'll read the reviews first.. just incase....

hey final fantasy are bad ass games and its the final fantasy of each game that is made because their all different stories and different characters making it the final quest/fantasy for those characters. lol.
Spend less time playing games and more time learning to write. Or at least throw a period or comma in there every once in a while. Sheesh.

krnholeboy32
2007-02-21, 17:42
wuts up with nerdy old pplz obsession with grammar and punctuation and spelling. Good lord this is a forum which u should write comfortably not a freakin college paper and i'm sure alot of u pplz dat try to spell correctly and punctuate about at least 30% of da time i bet its wrong oh better get your lil penguin book to make sure its right~~ geeez i guess instead of me playin too much games i guess u should quit readin them books and try to do everything properly, sum ppl dont give a *uck how we type on the threadz mr. college professor.

rasmits
2007-02-21, 17:55
krnboy32, it may work at ign.com but around here, you'll have a hard time getting taken seriously when you type like that.

Especially with statements like this:

"resistance fall of man was a great game but too short or will have them on the 360 with better graphics and faster loading times"

..which is just plain wrong. Did you just now make that up?

By the way: Welcome. :)

zippy
2007-02-21, 18:04
wuts up with nerdy old pplz obsession with grammar and punctuation and spelling. Good lord this is a forum which u should write comfortably not a freakin college paper and i'm sure alot of u pplz dat try to spell correctly and punctuate about at least 30% of da time i bet its wrong oh better get your lil penguin book to make sure its right~~ geeez i guess instead of me playin too much games i guess u should quit readin them books and try to do everything properly, sum ppl dont give a *uck how we type on the threadz mr. college professor.

The problem with you writing "comfortably" is that it is NOT comfortable to read. So show some respect to your intended audience and write legibly. That is all that is being asked.

spikeh
2007-02-21, 18:21
The problem with you writing "comfortably" is that it is NOT comfortable to read. So show some respect to your intended audience and write legibly. That is all that is being asked.

wtf omg rlax man dis pwnz. IGN4EVA.

krnholeboy32
2007-02-21, 18:31
ok zippy if torifile would have put it in that way I would be more than happy to write a little better. Since you asked in a nice manner without any sarcasms sure I'll write better. And as for rasmits I owned the ps3 for a good 2 months before deciding to sell it. I tried my very best to have any reasons for keeping the ps3, I tried to love it but failed. Everytime I saw the ps3 sitting next to my hdtv it broke my heart because I knew I was tricked into buying a blueray player for $500 with no games to play at all. Believe it or not I'm not a hardcore gamer. I dont buy pc's or mac's to play games nor do I give out hours and hours on a console. Its more like if I have time or nothing else to do I play. And resistance fall of man was a nice game and I enjoyed it but it was way too short. I probably played an hour or 2 at most per day and it only took me 3 days to beat. I honestly thought it would last me at least a week of about an hour a day. I tried the online mode just to see if its any good, but its way too hectic, you just kill one person then someone out of the 40 people will kill you in a little ass room or battlefield in an instant. Then you come back kill one or two people and then you die again.
Also I rented gears of war so I know alot of ppl compare gears to resistance but to me resistance gameplay was better in my opinion. Gears of war had better online play because you can work as a team, but I liked the resistance gameplay better. So for me the ps3 besides the blueray player, which I could get the hd dvd player for the xbox 360 instead and I've read numerous good reviews and won compared between the ps3 blueray vs. 360 hddvd. I saw first hand the difference as well, the blueray is not that great from what I saw in real life side by side comparisons, the 360 hddvd looks amazing.
So I decided to sell the ps3 and pocket the extra $500 (had the 20gb model) and I'll wait until I see some actual good games and worth playing in the future. The only game I liked on the ps3 was Nba 2k7 but then its out on the xbox 360 and its I believe $10 cheaper on the 360 as well. Also the graphics on the 2k7 on the xbox 360, the colors look more vivid and not dull and there is no slow down during game play unlike the ps3, which was annoying. Maybe its because they ported it at the last minute but it did have a little more authentic signature moves of some players that were not available on the 360. Anyways, the only game I play and own is Nba 2k7 on the xbox 360. I think its because of xbox live and being able to play other people all over the world online is the best.
I hope sony can get their online system figured out and better it, I know its free but honestly I rather fork out 50 bucks a year for better online service like the xbox live than have a crappy free online system. But I hope final fantasy 13 will be something different because I stopped playing the final fantasy series at part 9 on the psx and I dont play very much rpg's anymore because I dont have time and the patience either and same crap over and over again. But if the final fantasy 13 shows something new or different, then i'm completely sold. But I have a feeling it will be the same type of game again and nothing next gen about it except it'll be on 720p or something. But metal gear solid looks very promising and cant wait for that and will wait gladly a year also when the system and the game is alot cheaper too.

zippy
2007-02-21, 18:37
ok zippy if torifile would have put it in that way I would be more than happy to write a little better. Since you asked in a nice manner without any sarcasms sure I'll write better.

Cool.:)

alcimedes
2007-02-21, 18:44
Um, paragraphs?

chucker
2007-02-21, 18:50
Coherence ain't just a nifty Parallels Desktop feature. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coherence_%28linguistics%29)

krnholeboy32
2007-02-21, 19:04
lol *sigh*, by the way isnt wikkipedia site coming down?

alcimedes
2007-02-21, 19:29
Honestly though, it's one thing to want it to be comfortable to write, but it should also be comfortable for other people to read.

scratt
2007-02-21, 19:35
And capital letters...

Also, completely stupid assertions such as *'I heard that they are going to release a slimmer cheaper PS3 next year', which are obviously things that you heard in your head don't cut much ice here I am afraid.

*Capitals etc. added to quotation so that adults can understand the sentence.

billybobsky
2007-02-21, 19:45
lol *sigh*, by the way isnt wikkipedia site coming down?
What are you and why do you keep making shit up?

Wraven
2007-02-22, 10:04
What are you and why do you keep making shit up?

billy,

krnboy isn't quite making it up; he's just referencing a rumor that has sprouted up in the last week or so that the folks that host Wikipeida are broke. This rumor has since been dispelled. The accountant for the foundation said they have funds to cover more than 4 months of expenses in the coffers, which is actually pretty good considering their history (from their own words).

So krnboy, I think what billybobsky is trying to say is please don't propagate dubious rumors. Thanks!

scratt
2007-02-22, 11:47
butwhathasanyofthisgottodowiththeps3or360

Wyatt
2007-02-22, 11:54
butwhathasanyofthisgottodowiththeps3or360
nothingatallbutitskindafuntotypelikethislolbbq

Wraven
2007-02-22, 12:00
iwasjustryingtostickupforanewermemberthatprobably
madeanhonestmistakeyouguyscannowgobackto
jackingofftops3and360andyestypinglikethisisfun ;)

Bryson
2007-02-22, 12:11
Soonallpostswilllookthiswayasspacesarewastefuldont chaknow.

rasmits
2007-02-22, 15:42
obviouslywhenyoutypewithoutspacesitcountsasoneword somysigdoesntshowupisntthatfunnyhaha

krnholeboy32
2007-02-22, 15:46
Someone digged the slimmer ps3's if you look around there you'll find the article saying that in sometime early to mid 2008 there will be slimmer ps3's because sony wants to redesign them for sale purposes, just as they did with the ps2's. Also yea i'm just talking about wikkipedia coming down from the rumor I heard and dont know if its true or not on that, so what wraven said might be true.

Also for those ppl that wrote it without spaces c'mon now dont be such dumbasses, just because I misspell words and dont use a few commas. I never typed without spaces~~ most retarded shiet i've ever seen or read~~

Windowsrookie
2007-02-22, 15:52
Why make it slimmer? The PS3 is fine now. I liked the "Thick" PS2 better, Sony was stupid for slapping in the flip top tray.

Wyatt
2007-02-22, 16:03
Someone digged the slimmer ps3's if you look around there you'll find the article saying that in sometime early to mid 2008 there will be slimmer ps3's because sony wants to redesign them for sale purposes, just as they did with the ps2's. Also yea i'm just talking about wikkipedia coming down from the rumor I heard and dont know if its true or not on that, so what wraven said might be true.

Also for those ppl that wrote it without spaces c'mon now dont be such dumbasses, just because I misspell words and dont use a few commas. I never typed without spaces~~ most retarded shiet i've ever seen or read~~

It was a joke. If it bothers you to be teased a bit, I suspect you're not going to like it here. We tease everyone, including seasoned members and administrators. Don't take it personally. Nobody intends to be malicious. We just like to kid around.

Please re-read what I posted about your writing earlier. People will respect you more and take your posts (and therefore you) more seriously if you try to write properly. We're not asking for brilliant prose. We're asking for something that doesn't require work to read. The less work people have to put into reading your posts, the more work they will be willing to put into a response.

This most recent post of yours is much better. There are plenty of things in there that bug me (for example, I hate when people write "ppl"), but it's much better. If you can stick to that, you'll be fine.

spikeh
2007-02-22, 16:14
I'd totally dig a slimmer PS3. Mitch, where ARE you?!

Windowsrookie
2007-02-22, 16:40
I'd totally dig a slimmer PS3. Mitch, where ARE you?!

I'm just saying. Sony Made the Slim PS2 Really cheapily. I'm guessing they'd do the same with a slim PS3. But, I'd never buy one anyways, so whatever. :)

I guess it is a little big. About the same as the original xbox. But why do you need it any smaller? It just sits under your TV anyways.

http://ps3-news.vigamex.de/uploads/consoles_sizes-1.jpg

scratt
2007-02-22, 21:29
Aw guys.. I just woke up and caught up with the thread.. Thanks, the last page of posts have really given me a great big smile and a laugh this morning. :lol: :)

@krnboy32, seriously, welcome. Do enjoy it here. We're not half as bad as we first seem. :)

NosferaDrew
2007-02-22, 22:08
But why do you need it any smaller? It just sits under your TV anyways.
A PS3 will sit under a TV, but damn, the 360 needs to be behind the TV or under a pillow or something.

My PS3 is practically silent compared to the 360.

macleod
2007-02-22, 22:37
A PS3 will sit under a TV, but damn, the 360 needs to be behind the TV or under a pillow or something.

:lol: :D

I have both right now and I have to say that I prefer the PS3 for a couple reasons. The first would have to be looks. This is my personal opinion but I think the PS3 looks better and I love the fact that it has wireless internet and no big power brick, even though the system itself is a little bigger. I also love how quiet it is compared to my 360. The 360 is pretty darn loud and I don't mind it that much but it is nice that the PS3 has been fairly quiet. As far as performance is concerned, I also lean to my PS3 because it is nice to be able to use HDMI, play Bluray discs without buying another piece for the system, and the games look great and I assume they will only look better and better as time passes and the developers utilize the full potential of the system. Just my opinion but I hope that helps give another perspective.

Windowsrookie
2007-02-22, 22:39

I have both right now and I have to say that I prefer the PS3 for a couple reasons. The first would have to be looks. This is my personal opinion but I think the PS3 looks better and I love the fact that it has wireless internet and no big power brick, even though the system itself is a little bigger. I also love how quiet it is compared to my 360. The 360 is pretty darn loud and I don't mind it that much but it is nice that the PS3 has been fairly quiet. As far as performance is concerned, I also lean to my PS3 because it is nice to be able to use HDMI, play Bluray discs without buying another piece for the system, and the games look great and I assume they will only look better and better as time passes and the developers utilize the full potential of the system. Just my opinion but I hope that helps give another perspective.

So, you're saying everything that every PS3 user has always said?

:p

turtle
2007-02-22, 22:44
*Side note: Do either of these system run F@H?

macleod
2007-02-22, 22:53
So, you're saying everything that every PS3 user has always said?

:p

Darn you WR! But...yeah. :lol: :o It is true though. That is what I like so much about it. I am actually probably going to try to sell my 360 soon because I haven't even turned it on since the superbowl and that was just to play madden.

Kraetos
2007-02-23, 02:17

Okay... and what GAMES do you play on it?

It is a game system, first and foremost. If you bought it for a Blu-Ray player, then fine - its the cheapest Blu-Ray player out there (and its STILL cheaper than an HD-DVD players, but thats another story) but then you're not the person to be advising someone who wants to play games on it.

The Xbox 360 just has a better game roundup. I don't get why all these people are saying "well it's not too good now but it will get better" without citing the GAMES, people!

If you look at the heavy hitters - Halo 3 and GTA4 - the Xbox 360 has both, and the PS3 has one.

Now I'm not saying the PS3 is hopeless - no, far from it - but if you're looking to buy one system for the games, its the Xbox 360. The PS3 either needs to pull some amazing games out of Sony's ass, or it needs to drop about $200 in price. Until then, well, it's just not going to sell many units, compared to its competition, the Wii and the Xbox 360, which have sold 4 million and 10 million respectively. Compare the to the PS3, which is struggling along at 1.5 mil. What can you expect from an overpriced system with no decent games?

I'm with WR on this one. If you're a gamer, this isn't even really a decision. It's you, going to Best Buy, and dropping $400 on an Xbox 360. I'll reevaluate it in a year or so, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

macleod
2007-02-23, 07:30
I play mostly sports games. Right now I only have NHL 2K6 and I have Need For Speed. The games I was referring to (and yes I should have stated them) were Motorstorm, Gran Turismo HD, and Assassin's Creed. I have played demos of the first two and they look fantastic. Yes they are a little while off, but those extra features of the PS3 are what make me like my PS3 more. There are sports games out for it right now so I am happy, but then again I am not the average gamer because Halo 3 doesn't have a big pull for me right now. I played Gears of War and enjoyed that but it isn't enough for me to keep the 360. Sorry that I left this out last time.

bassplayinMacFiend
2007-02-23, 07:55

It's been rumored the Spring dashboard update will fix this problem by slowing down the drive. People who've supposedly seen units running post-update say the 360 is much quieter. The negative side effect will be slower data reads since the drive won't be spinning as fast as it does today.

Wyatt
2007-02-23, 08:58
*Side note: Do either of these system run F@H?
The PS3 can boot into Linux, so I'm sure F@H isn't far behind (if it isn't possible already).

torifile
2007-02-23, 11:48
It's been rumored the Spring dashboard update will fix this problem by slowing down the drive. People who've supposedly seen units running post-update say the 360 is much quieter. The negative side effect will be slower data reads since the drive won't be spinning as fast as it does today.
Thank god. My biggest beef with my 360 is the noise. I can still hear it when it's in my entertainment cabinet. That's too loud.

Windowsrookie
2007-02-23, 16:00
The PS3 can boot into Linux, so I'm sure F@H isn't far behind (if it isn't possible already).

They're making a client for the PS3.

turtle
2007-02-23, 16:05
They're making a client for the PS3.

I vote PS3 then. :D

Windowsrookie
2007-02-23, 16:06
I vote PS3 then. :D

But, Mac OS X is close to running on a 360. :D

turtle
2007-02-23, 16:09
But, Mac OS X is close to running on a 360. :D

:lol:

I would rather have Halo personally, but I don't game much as it is. Heck I don't even own a system right now. The last system I owned was a Genesis and a Super Nintendo. Folding power though, now there's a reason to buy a system if you are rarely going to be using it for gaming. ;)

Windowsrookie
2007-02-23, 16:11
It'd be interesting to see how well the PS3 folds. Interesting because a mini is the same price. :)

turtle
2007-02-23, 16:13
I don't think it would be a comparison based on the "Cells" hype. Then again, it might only be hype.

alcimedes
2007-02-23, 16:16
I thought someone had already gotten the folding client to work on the PS3 and it put out massive numbers, but I don't see anything on it at the moment.

It would make sense though considering it has 7 or 8 cores to work with plus possibly the GPU.

I thought so (http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-PS3.html)

Now in 2006, we are looking forward to another major advance in capabilities. This advance utilizes the new Cell processor in Sony’s PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3) to achieve performance previously only possible on supercomputers. With this new technology (as well as new advances with GPUs), we will likely be able to attain performance on the 100 gigaflop scale per computer. With about 10,000 such machines, we would be able to achieve performance on the petaflop scale. With software from Sony, the PlayStation 3 will now be able to contribute to the Folding@Home project, pushing Folding@Home a major step forward.

Kraetos
2007-02-23, 16:18
Then again, it might only be hype.

That, my friend, is the single largest ambiguity regarding the PS3's future. If the cell ends up being just another microchip, or even a very powerful microchip that programmers take too long learning how to utilize properly, the PS3 has some rough times in store.

OTOH, if the Cell ends up being the powerhouse it's hyped to be, I expect the PS3 to have a very prosperous run. But I am simply not sure right now.

Windowsrookie
2007-02-23, 16:22
I thought someone had already gotten the folding client to work on the PS3 and it put out massive numbers, but I don't see anything on it at the moment.

It would make sense though considering it has 7 or 8 cores to work with plus possibly the GPU.

I said they were working on a client. :p

turtle
2007-02-23, 16:28

So when will that be available? I have to say, based on what is on the F@H site, that is one awesome chip to be able to preform like that. It is so under-utilized in that game console that it isn't even funny.

Wow, just, wow. :|

Edit: WR, to answer your question about Mini vs PS3, here's the latest (http://forum.folding-community.org/ftopic17700.html).

alcimedes
2007-02-23, 16:32
Looks like a single PS3 could put you at the top of our folding team production list. :)

turtle
2007-02-23, 16:35
Looks like a single PS3 could put you at the top of our folding team production list. :)

No kidding. This just might be worth it, and get games to boot! Then if we could get those members here with PS3's to join the fold...

krnholeboy32
2007-02-23, 16:42
Nosferadrew the reason why the 360 is louder is because the 360 is more powerful and the ps3 isnt very or as much, the cell might be a little more advanced but the ps3's core does not have much general purpose, i think its more of 30% rather than the 70% on the 360 and games need general purpose to run better. And not to mention that the ps3 graphics card is crap compared to the 360. Oh and I heard xbox upgraded the new dvd drives on the 360's which made the most noise and now with those new drives on the newer 360's are much quieter and loading times are much quicker as well.
And one more thing to fcgriz, when I owned the ps3 I installed the linux on it but then.. there was nothing to do on it. Only maybe run maime but then I have a computer I can do that on, oh and I already own a mac pro and a macbook so I have a much better os, the OSX. *no point in installing the linux on the ps3* in my opinion, until they do some hacking through it for copying free ps3 games to work then I'm going to rent as much as I can with a big assed hd! =P
And one last thing for macleod lol, I play mostly sports games as well. And after owning the ps3 and currentlly owning the 360, I prefer the 360 mainly because of the xbox live and graphics second. Like I posted before that the 360 version of the 2k7 looks and runs much better than the glitchy ps3 version. I still cant figure out why the ps3 version slows down at midcourt area and the colors look dull and some of the times just lags very badly. Also the 2k7 on the 360 is 39.99 brand new and the ps3 version is still 59.99 =(.

Windowsrookie
2007-02-23, 16:56
Nosferadrew the reason why the 360 is louder is because the 360 is more powerful and the ps3 isnt very or as much, the cell might be a little more advanced but the ps3's core does not have much general purpose, i think its more of 30% rather than the 70% on the 360 and games need general purpose to run. And not to mention that the ps3 graphics card is crap compared to the 360. Oh and I heard xbox upgraded the new dvd drives on the 360's which made the most noise and now with those new drives on the newer 360's are much quieter and loading times are much quicker as well.
And one more thing to fcgriz, when I owned the ps3 I installed the linux on it but then.. there was nothing to do on it. Only maybe run maime but then I have a computer I can do that on, oh and I already own a mac pro and a macbook so I have a much better os, the OSX. *no point in installing the linux on the ps3* in my opinion, until they do some hacking through it for copying free ps3 games to work then I'm going to rent as much as I can with a big assed hd! =P
And one last thing for macleod lol, I play mostly sports games as well. And after owning the ps3 and currentlly owning the 360, I prefer the 360 mainly because of the xbox live and graphics second. Like I posted before that the 360 version of the 2k7 looks and runs much better than the glitchy ps3 version. I still cant figure out why the ps3 version slows down at midcourt area and some of the times just lags very badly. Also the 2k7 on the 360 is 39.99 brand new and the ps3 version is still 59.99 =(.

edited for content. as in there wasn't any.

krnholeboy32
2007-02-23, 17:00
hey but what I said is the truth~ Still yet to see any good games on the ps3~! U can play everything on the 360 that the ps3 has and will maybe except resistance fall of man but I wouldnt be surprised if it ported over to 360 in the near future. Also I seriously thought about keeping the ps3 because of virtual fighter 5 that was going to be released and I believe it is out already now, but it has no online mode which I think is my primary reason I sold my ps3. The only game I want to play is heavenly sword and if that game is all it is cracked out to be and more then I will probably pick up the ps3 again in the later future. And isnt this a thread basically about which system to own to mainly play games.. correct?? In another opinion, I think that the wii is the real winner.. the major sleeper here.

has anyone seen this recently?? http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/pal-ps3-backwards-compatability-gimped-[update]-239076.php
that *uckin sucks man..

tacvbo83
2007-02-26, 10:31
Is there going to be a slimmed down version of XBOX 360 in the next few months? I read something about that awhile ago but I don't think it was official.

Suddoo
2007-02-26, 11:59
Nosferadrew the reason why the 360 is louder is because the 360 is more powerful and the ps3 isnt very or as much, the cell might be a little more advanced but the ps3's core does not have much general purpose, i think its more of 30% rather than the 70% on the 360 and games need general purpose to run better. And not to mention that the ps3 graphics card is crap compared to the 360. Oh and I heard xbox upgraded the new dvd drives on the 360's which made the most noise and now with those new drives on the newer 360's are much quieter and loading times are much quicker as well.
And one last thing for macleod lol, I play mostly sports games as well. And after owning the ps3 and currentlly owning the 360, I prefer the 360 mainly because of the xbox live and graphics second. Like I posted before that the 360 version of the 2k7 looks and runs much better than the glitchy ps3 version. I still cant figure out why the ps3 version slows down at midcourt area and the colors look dull and some of the times just lags very badly. Also the 2k7 on the 360 is 39.99 brand new and the ps3 version is still 59.99 =(.

hey but what I said is the truth~ Still yet to see any good games on the ps3~! U can play everything on the 360 that the ps3 has and will maybe except resistance fall of man but I wouldnt be surprised if it ported over to 360 in the near future. Also I seriously thought about keeping the ps3 because of virtual fighter 5 that was going to be released and I believe it is out already now, but it has no online mode which I think is my primary reason I sold my ps3. The only game I want to play is heavenly sword and if that game is all it is cracked out to be and more then I will probably pick up the ps3 again in the later future. And isnt this a thread basically about which system to own to mainly play games.. correct?? In another opinion, I think that the wii is the real winner.. the major sleeper here.

has anyone seen this recently?? http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/pal-ps3-backwards-compatability-gimped-[update]-239076.php
that *uckin sucks man..

Sorry to be playing at mod here (:D - seems to be a fun game!), but can you please set out your replys into paragraphs! It makes reading much easier, as I gave up halfway.

ps. :) sorry y'all high up mods + admins

scratt
2007-02-26, 12:11
Nosferadrew the reason why the 360 is louder is because the 360 is more powerful and the ps3 isnt very or as much...

I stopped reading after that bit. The content and the style are both rubbish.

krnboy32, you are right about one thing. Right now the 360 is the one to own simply because of the content that is available...

As for the rest of what you have to say, well, people know my view, but I'll let the coming 12 - 24 months be the proof of what is true... Someone might have deciphered what you actually posted by then two, and we can compare... :p

Suddoo
2007-02-26, 12:56
Cleaned up:

Nosferadrew, the reason why the 360 is louder is because the 360 is more powerful and the ps3 is comparatively weaker. The 'cells' might be a little more advanced, but, the ps3's core does not have much general purpose ability.

I think its more of 30% rather than the 70% on the 360 and games need general purpose to run better. And not to mention that the ps3 graphics card is crap compared to the 360. I also heard the xbox upgraded the new dvd drives on the 360's which made the most noise and, now with those new drives on the newer 360's are much quieter and loading times are much quicker as well.

And one more thing to fcgriz, when I owned the ps3 I installed the linux on it but then.. there was nothing to do on it. Only maybe run 'maime' but then I have a computer I can do that on - I already own a mac pro and a macbook so I have a much better operating system - OSX. *no point in installing the linux on the ps3* in my opinion, until they do some hacking through it for copying free ps3 games >>:no: << to work then I'm going to rent as much as I can with a big hard drive

And one last thing for macleod, I play mostly sports games as well. And after owning the ps3 and currentlly owning the 360, I prefer the 360 mainly because of the xbox live and graphics. Like I posted before that the 360 version of the 2k7 looks and runs much better than the glitchy ps3 version. I still cant figure out why the ps3 version slows down at midcourt area and the colors look dull and some of the times just lags very badly. Also the 2k7 on the 360 is 39.99 brand new and the ps3 version is still 59.99 =(. (fps???)

There we go... Shifted through it, added grammar, paragraphs, and changed the word order a little.

nowhere near perfect (no nitpicking, thank-you) but you can (zomg!) read it anyways :D

ps. krnboy32, take note..

Kraetos
2007-02-26, 13:17
There we go... Shifted through it, added grammar, paragraphs, and changed the word order a little.

nowhere near perfect (no nitpicking, thank-you) but you can (zomg!) read it anyways :D

ps. krnboy32, take note..

Given that krnboy has already stated that spelling and grammar is for "nerdy old ppl,*" I doubt he will take note. Not much of a loss, if you ask me, since he doesn't seem to know what he's talking about...

* I'm 19. Windowsrookie is 16. Both of us write perfectly legible sentences.

Suddoo
2007-02-26, 13:26
im teh 16 too,lawl. yeh, we all rite perfictly legible writin' dnt we?

Just realised (looking through this thread), krnboy hasn't had a positive attitude to the 'older generations', ah well!

~/Suddoo

p.s. That Ps3 folding work is simply staggering! I (personaly) think that Sony should send a 'software update' of F@H to all the Ps3s in the world. Whereby the owner of it should be allowed to have the choice to install it or not, with all the information about it provided.

krnholeboy32
2007-02-26, 17:36
Good lord, now break into paragraphs~~~ honestly I go on da forums to read about what ppl have to say and no matter how its spelled(ghetto way) or if its spelled correctly. It dont matter long as u can understand what da hell da person who posted had to say~ And not how they type it. And dis is da way I type so ya'll just gonna have to deal wit dis shiet.

Oh and for Kraetos I know exactly wut i'm talkin about~ I'm sure u own a ps3 but dont take it personally man I had one too and I intend to own one prob. in a year or 2 and i'm still prayin that mgs4 and other future games on the ps3 wont let me down~

Wyatt
2007-02-26, 19:17
Good lord, now break into paragraphs~~~ honestly I go on da forums to read about what ppl have to say and no matter how its spelled(ghetto way) or if its spelled correctly. It dont matter long as u can understand what da hell da person who posted had to say~ And not how they type it. And dis is da way I type so ya'll just gonna have to deal wit dis shiet.

Oh and for Kraetos I know exactly wut i'm talkin about~ I'm sure u own a ps3 but dont take it personally man I had one too and I intend to own one prob. in a year or 2 and i'm still prayin that mgs4 and other future games on the ps3 wont let me down~
Seriously, how hard is it to write "the" instead of "da," krnboy?

scratt
2007-02-26, 19:37
It dont matter long as u can understand what da hell da person who posted had to say~

That's the point.. Your posts above are illegible, as well as incoherant. If you have something you want to say then you have a responsibility to get it across in a way that other people find comfortable to comprehend. But then you'll discover that when you eventually have to go to interviews and so on...

Oh and for Kraetos I know exactly wut i'm talkin about~

Da 360 is noisier dan da psE 'coz it's more powerfuLL..

Hmm. Right. Obviously you don't know what you are talking about.
Regardless of which is better, or more powerful, or more versatile, which is totally open to debate, and can be interpretted in so many different ways, the reason the 360 is more noisy is to do with build quality and physical / component choices which have *nothing* to do with the 'power' of the units. Period.

krnholeboy32
2007-02-26, 20:47
hmmm.. ok scratt let me ask you dis wut da *uck does interviewing for a job and posting on a *uckin forum have anything to do wit each other~~
Shiet if I went into a job interview of course i'ma b all professional but dis is just a forum, just posting shiet online not posting to my bosses or n e thing~ damn ya'll all need to learn to just chill
out~ Also if my posting was illegible then how did u understand wut I said and have ur own opinion about y my opinion was wrong huh??? U clearly read da way I spelled it and CLEARLY understood. And please think before u say n e thing, there could be a big possibility of why da 360 is much noiser because of its power and superior graphics card, hence generates more electricity for more power, thus da power brick. Xp

oh and fcgriz its just much easier to type 2 letters da instead of the (for me) and more convienant for me.

scratt
2007-02-26, 21:32
krnboy32, you will get the respect shown to you that you show others, and people will also judge your opinions based on how you present them. If this is just a f*&king forum (as you say), and you don't give a damn, then why keep posting or even visiting? Go do something else. Please. You are irritating.

Some of us do care about how we present ourselves, and what others have to say, and how we in turn put our views across. Some of us value the community here, and you will find yourself pretty unwelcome pretty quick if you don't. Your attitude reminds me of the unwelcome house guest who sticks their smelly dirty feet up on the coffee table and ignores the fact that everyone finds them repulsive. The way we interact with others is just common courtesy and applies in all 'forums' of life. If you want people to hear your views then you have a duty to present them in a concise and polite way. Otherwise don't bother. After all we didn't come to you asking you for your opinions, you just seem to want to ram them down our throats, and be rude at the same time. That's the act of a juvenile, not an adult in a "grup's" discussion, dude. 'Xp' ?!?!

Your attitude shows me that you could not comprehend the connection between good presentation and your job interviews in the future. But you will learn when the time comes.

If your attitude is to turn up at a job interview and completely deny your personality to 'get the job', but in your day to day life you present yourself as you do here then you will get booted out pretty quickly after the sham that your interview is, as you will be seen as you truly are pretty damn quick. If on the other hand you present yourself in a better light everywhere else than you do here, then why not pay us all the same repsect you pay other people. Bear in mind that your presense on the web thse days is not simply confined to the web, but can affect your future job prospects, and in many countries is now legally admissable. For the same reason we use punctuation and proper language in emails these days...

Basically.... If you wrap your opinons up in a brown paper bag that smells of shit then people will give those opinions the same value they give a brown paper bag full of shit.

I understood what you had to say enough to comment on it. Sure, I can even read bad English. I read it (as hard and as irritating as it was) so I could fairly comment on the rubbish you are spouting, and pay you the respect I wish you would pay others...

The 360 fan issue is simply that IT HAS A LOUD FAN, and it's cooling system is not as elegant as it could be. Your ignorance on that point is yet another example of how you just seem to want to spout the first thing that comes into your head, and then claim it as a fact, and yet you can't even be bothered to format it in a way that is legible to most people.

Heck, I think you might actually be the first person I ever put on an ignore list at AN. [EDIT - done]

krnholeboy32
2007-02-26, 21:59
lol, get a life?? Yea i'm just a college student right now but I dont live on this forum. Even ppl that have been here for a long time, I'm sure dis isnt their "life." U tellin me to go do sumthing, while ur here complaining about da way I type. Also yes dis is just a forum, but just because its just a forum cant mean it cant be fun to read things once in a while in here. Damn to me sounds like either ur an old fart or sum loser dat got nothin better to do. I'm on cause after studyin for a test at da library I like to check on here once in a while. And for interviews for a job really doesnt have n e thing to do with how u type on forums. If I wrote an email regarding a duty for a certain job, of course I would write professionally. But here in dis forum I just type da way I feel most comfortable and I've been readin on dis forums for years as well. Couldnt u guys just accept da fact dat its just part of me dat types like dis and its just who I am. And I could just be da guy on dis forum dat ppl refers to, "oh yea dats da dude dat types kinda ghetto" and just leave it at dat~

As for da noise on da 360 plzz dont tell me dat u know da exact answer to dat. Da way u explain it sounds like u kno it all or sumthing. Notice I said there could be a big *possibility* and I did NOT say it was and shoved it down ur throat. But it is a fact dat the 360 has a superior graphics card, dat maybe da reason there is a stronger and louder fan in the 360 than wut da ps3 has, and as for the ps3 doesnt need much of a bigger or possibly more powerful fan because its less of a beast. Also plz leave me blocked, I am more annoyed than u R because it seems like I've invited sum loser from high scho because my mom is best friends wit ur mom but comes into my room and complains on how I arranged my hdtv and bitches and whines about how other ppl as guests wouldnt like da way da tv faces away from da window~~

chucker
2007-02-26, 22:06
Yo yo fo' real.

:rolleyes:

Grammar Police
2007-02-26, 22:07
http://www.ethanwiner.com/Smiley%20Land/Dead18.gif

scratt
2007-02-26, 22:08

NosferaDrew
2007-02-26, 22:29
lol, get a life??.....[SNIP]
Only the second person I've put on ignore.

All opinions are valid, but if you can't communicate properly - buh bye.

krnholeboy32
2007-02-26, 22:37
If opinions are valid, then its just ur opinion on da way I type and nothing more~

oh and yet another friend of my mom's son (nosferadrew)~~ =/

2007-02-26, 22:40
Die.

billybobsky
2007-02-26, 22:46
Isn't this poster failing to follow the spirit, if not the letter of this guideline:

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose, edit (before and after posting), find or research links, and count to a hundred if you're angry. Use it.?

In any case, he is on my ban list as well...

krnholeboy32
2007-02-26, 23:04
It saids dat it is thoughtful, informative and written thoughtfully (meaning nicely) and non of u guys r towards me, maybe u guys need to b banned?? It never states dat it has to be written with correct punctuation, grammar, spelling with full correct paragraphs~~ y is dis such a big deal~~ damn its da first forum i've ever been on dat I took dis much shiet from just not spelling a few words right. I never have dis problem on da nba forums nor howardforums and even tutoring forums and I've been on there longer dan here~ Lots of arrogant ppl with big egos think their better than u because sum 1 refuses to spell correctly. Its more of I've been typin like dis since I owned a computer in 1990 and its just da way I type, its already embedded in my brain da way it is. Only do I type correctly and properly before I turn a paper in or would do an important project for work or scho. I thought dis was da apple forum, remember da phrase, think different~ maybe I think different, or if properly stated dis is ebonics ya'll.

oh and callin me immature krnholeboy32?? and I bet alot of pplz here think krn stands for korn huh? nope it means sump wayyyy different~

alcimedes
2007-02-26, 23:11
What you will find is that if you can't bother to post something legible, you'll get few if any responses to it.

I promise.

krnholeboy32
2007-02-26, 23:12
so far dis post has been da most responses I've ever received. imho

Kraetos
2007-02-27, 03:05
Did someone take krnboy32 out back and shoot him? Because all his posts are gone, and I hadn't gotten around to putting him on my ignore list.

A search of the members list reveals no krnboy32. I'm not saying I miss him (I certainly wont) but I've never seen a member dissapear like that! I didn't even know vBulletin could do it! (Yeah I am sure you could muck around in the MySQL database...)

alcimedes, I'm lookin at you ;) :p :)

Suddoo
2007-02-27, 03:08
zomg, you killed teh krnboy! (32)

Nice job though admins, you cleaned the threads up nicely ;)

Wyatt
2007-02-27, 07:44
zomg, you killed teh krnboy! (32)

Nice job though admins, you cleaned the threads up nicely ;)
Yay, the admins saved the day!

torifile
2007-02-27, 09:00
krnboy's been "disappeared". Is he the first member in history to be wiped out like that? I guess those former members would be just lore by now though.

edit: Looks like he's been renamed to krnholeboy32.

2007-02-27, 09:32
krnboy's been "disappeared". Is he the first member in history to be wiped out like that?There's been a couple (besides spammers) that I can recall offhand. It happened to macgeek2004 once (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=4262&highlight=RIP), and then to scuttlebuttin (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?p=253438) (one of applenut's aliases). They were both turned back on eventually...though I'm not privy to the horrible details of their atonement. ;)

alcimedes
2007-02-27, 10:41
Suffice it to say, spend 30 seconds making your post legible or I'll spend 5 seconds making you go away.

Wyatt
2007-02-27, 10:46
Suffice it to say, spend 30 seconds making your post legible or I'll spend 5 seconds making you go away.
:lol: Thank you!

krnholeboy32
2007-02-27, 12:23
ahh u pieces of shit shut da fuck up i dont give a damn wipe me out or make me go away it wont bother me one fuckin bit, I do have a life ya kno so wutever u want u fuckin nerds.
One last thing to say b4 I leave is dat I never had dis problem in pc forums and I love macs. I guess da ads on apple is all wrong I know who all da fuckin nerds and pieces of shits r, just because of better product dont mean better ppl. I'm out for life~

Duex~

Kraetos
2007-02-27, 12:25
There's been a couple (besides spammers) that I can recall offhand. It happened to macgeek2004 once (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=4262&highlight=RIP), and then to scuttlebuttin (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?p=253438) (one of applenut's aliases). They were both turned back on eventually...though I'm not privy to the horrible details of their atonement. ;)

What disiciplinary 'Nova measures haven't been taken on macgeek?

spikeh
2007-02-27, 12:40
What disiciplinary 'Nova measures haven't been taken on macgeek?

Bukkake.

alcimedes
2007-02-27, 12:45
That's because it wouldn't have been disciplinary in his case.

Suddoo
2007-02-27, 13:08
Bukkake.
That's because it wouldn't have been disciplinary in his case.

kieran
2007-02-27, 14:23
Wow. MacGeek is still getting shit even after he's gone.

It's all well deserved though.

Wyatt
2007-02-27, 17:47
Wow. MacGeek is still getting shit even after he's gone.

It's all well deserved though.
We might lay off if he quit popping up now and then. Didn't he resurface to get banz0red recently?

Kraetos
2007-02-27, 18:19
We might lay off if he quit popping up now and then. Didn't he resurface to get banz0red recently?

Yeah, just a week or two ago. Something along the lines of "let me back, guys, cuz I've matured."

sirnick4
2007-02-27, 19:37
So.. back to the topic.

I choose the Xbox 360. More like, I chose the Xbox 360. I love everything about it. The best thing about it is Xbox Live. Yes, I know, there is a yearly subscription fee, BUT it is so worth it. One of the things I hated about older systems (NES, SNES, N64, PSone, etc.) was that the only way I could enjoy the fun of multiplayer was if someone came over to my house. Now, all I have to do is turn on my 360, and I can enjoy the multiplayer experience.

Just my 2 cents.

jcoley2
2007-02-27, 20:05
PS3 for 2 reasons:

1. Blu-Ray
2. My 4 kids say it is way better then 360.

'Nuf said?

Kraetos
2007-02-27, 21:26
PS3 for 2 reasons:

1. Blu-Ray
2. My 4 kids say it is way better then 360.

'Nuf said?

1. Blu-Ray's disc read time is inferior to DVDs, and while texture compression (which is getting better every day) can decrease the size of a game signifigantly, if a disc has a slow read time, you're fucked. One of Oblivion's lead developers was once caught saying how he would much rather have a disc with a fast read time then one with boatloads of capacity - and I don't know if you've played Oblivion, but its a BIG game.

If you bought it for movies, fine. But for games? Microsoft's decision to use DVD was sound. No this doesn't echo the N64 vs. PlayStation* debate, because we're talking about 8.5 GB vs. 25 GB, about a 3x increase - unlike then when we were talking about a theoretical max of 64 MB against 650 MB - about a 10x increase.

2. How old?

* I could go on for hours about this, so please don't tempt me :p N64 vs. PlayStation was one of the most interesting hardware battles in console history, because both sides had such distinct advantages and disadvantages. And because of the complexity of the debate, its very hard to apply it to the current issues.

jcoley2
2007-02-27, 21:44
1. So was VHS vs. Beta but VHS won.

2. 4 ages 15 to 11.

Kraetos
2007-02-28, 01:36
1. So was VHS vs. Beta but VHS won.

1) :err: Yeah, VHS won. It beat Beta, Sony's superior format. VHS vs. Beta is probably a historical footnote you want to avoid when advocating Blu-Ray.

Futhermore, do you realize that its pretty absurd of you to say that Blu-Ray has more staying power than DVD? DVD is going to be around for decades, but Blu-Ray's future (and HD-DVD's) is still in question.

I will cede that even if Blu-Ray loses out, this really doesn't effect the PS3 as a gaming system. Blu-Ray will just become that disc the PS3 takes, and you won't be able to use your PS3 as an HD-DVD player.

Look, I don't wanna get into a Blu-Ray vs. DVD vs. HD-DVD battle here, that's a completely different thread that I know exists. Point is, for a gaming system? Yeah, I think that DVD was a better choice due to the fast read times, and 8.5 GB will be plenty of space for the next half decade.

2) Curious, what games are they interested in?

jcoley2
2007-02-28, 07:39
1)
2) Curious, what games are they interested in?

They seemed most focused on Madden and NHL 2007. Also Call of Duty but they like playing that more on my Quad in multiplayer. The only reason I bring this up (and not to make a big deal out of it) is these 11-14 year old boys get to play 360, Wii and PS3 any time they want (either at their house or others) and almost always pick PS3 (except the rare occassions when they want to play Halo, then of course they go back to 360.)

bassplayinMacFiend
2007-02-28, 08:19
Yea, life must be tough down there in Darien...

From http://www.city-data.com/city/Darien-Connecticut.html

Population (year 2000): 19,607. Estimated population in July 2005: 20,452 (+4.3% change)
Males: 9,615 (49.0%), Females: 9,992 (51.0%)

Fairfield County

Median resident age: 38.0 years
Median household income: $146,755 (year 2000)
Median house value: $711,000 (year 2000)

Races in Darien:

* White Non-Hispanic (94.1%)
* Hispanic (2.2%)
* Japanese (0.9%)
* Two or more races (0.8%)
* Chinese (0.7%)

jcoley2
2007-02-28, 08:54
Yea, life must be tough down there in Darien...

Similar towns like I used to live in Marin County but the quality of life is very good in Fairfield County. More importantly, the Public School system is one of the best in the Country, unlike California which has ruined theirs due to Prop 13 back in the 70's.

Your points are all well taken, though. . .toughest part as a parent here is to raise oour kids with the same passion and fire and drive to succeed in life in whatever they want to accomplish.

Kraetos
2007-02-28, 12:35
No worries, guys - I grew up in a town that sounds just like that, and I turned out (mostly) okay.

That said, I find it interesting that they prefer PS3 to play games that are all cross platform. I have actually heard that sports games play better on the PlayStation platform. Why that is, I have no idea. I have also heard that the next-gen Maddens are teh suck when compared to their last-gen counterparts (I don't play sports games).

All and all, interesting data. Thanks jcoley.

evan
2007-02-28, 14:40
I'm a huge Madden/NCAA football kinda guy, and I have to say the 360 versions of each are AMAZING. Madden 06 for 360 sucked simply because it had so few features (bare bones franchise, no superstar), but now that all the features have caught back up to the older games, the actual game engine can truly shine... and it's far superior to the older games. The running game, passing game, defense... everything is amazing. all the animations are very smooth and relatively lifelike. The computer still sucks (gets burned on post routes...) but against people there are far fewer glitches and cheese plays. anyway, gotta pay attention in bio, so I may or may not come back to this later...

oh yeah, xbox 360 rocks!!!! definitely get it over PS3

Cam'Ron
2007-03-01, 11:51
I just sold my 360 and all accessories and picked up a PS3 the other day. For what I bought (accessory wise) for the 360, the PS3 offers out of the box and cheaper! I prefer the UI, the lack of external PS and the fact that it is 100x quieter as well. Game wise, I don't think there will be that much of a difference, but I also prefer Sony as a company over the evildoers (MS). As well, Sony is offering free online, no charges like MS.

I think Blu-ray is more futureproof than HD-DVD (which I got for the 360), but that is a discussion for another thread...

Kraetos
2007-03-21, 14:39
DMC4 will be Multiplatform. (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6167678.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=multimodule&tag=multimodule;picks;title;6)

One more PlayStation franchise goes multiplatform. If this keeps happening, the PS3's future looks bleak. Say what you will about Microsoft, but they know how to attract developers, and thats what the gaming industry is all about.

scratt
2007-03-28, 03:21
A very very good article. I agree with this 100%, and it covers so many levels...

"10 Reasons Why PS3 Will [Ultimately IMO] Win This Console Generation"

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=15611&page=1

I would really advise everyone to read it and to think very hard about that things I have been saying for sometime now..

Kraetos
2007-03-28, 15:26
A very very good article. I agree with this 100%, and it covers so many levels...

"10 Reasons Why PS3 Will [Ultimately IMO] Win This Console Generation"

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=15611&page=1

I would really advise everyone to read it and to think very hard about that things I have been saying for sometime now..

A lot of those are good points. But a few are contestable, some very much so.

1. Home and Little Big Planet - Point to Sony. While I don't think that PS Home will be all that revolutionary, Little Big Planet looks badass.

2. PS3 online is free - You get what you pay for, and most video game critics agree that the $50/year is a deal considering the smooth, coherent, and seamless online modes of most XBL games.

3. 50 GB Games - 50 GB is great, but at what price? Disc read times. Blu-Ray (and HD-DVD) read times are significantly greater than DVD read times. Bethesda developers, who develop cross platform games, have stated that read times are more important than sheer space. And while texture compression technology will always continue to improve, there's no way to increase the read time of a disc format once its already in the wild.

4. Blu-Ray has won the format war. I don't think the format war is over yet, but I will cede that Blu-Ray is currently winning, and it looks like they will. I think that in the long run, its moot, because players that play both are right around the corner, and that's what I'm waiting for.

5. HDMI - The upcoming revision of the Xbox 360 will have HDMI out. It will be a feature exclusive to a special black $480 Elite Xbox 360 (along with a 120 GB HD, and a 65 nm Xenon core, meaning a cooler, softer Xbox 360), but both these features will eventually make it to the $400 model. (A common prediction among industry observers is that the current premium will become the core and the Elite will become the premium) Furthermore, I very seriously doubt that Component inputs will be dead and buried within five years, which seems to be what this guy is insinuating. Is the Xbox 360 as futureproof? Such is the price you pay for releasing advanced technology a year ahead of the competition, but Microsoft will continue to revise the Xbox 360 while continuing to maintain compatibility for games on all revisions.

6. Standard HDD - Point to Sony. The HDD should have been standard on all models, even if it was a tiny internal one, and the 20 GB one was optional.

7. The Wii fad will fade. Bullshit. It's way to early too say the Wii fad will fade, simply because there haven't been any solid games yet. Hell, that one isn't only plain wrong, its also hypocritical - there haven't been any PS3 blockbusters either, yet the Wii has still managed to ship 2.5 as many units as the PS3.

8. PS3 has a major CPU advantage. - It will take game developers even longer than usual to unlock the full potential of the PS3, of that I am sure. The exotic Cell processor has come at the price of an inferior API, which is why so many developers are jumping ship and going cross-platform - its EASY to develop for the 360, which is why I think the 360 will win in the long run. Lets all reflect on the fact that in seven generations of video game consoles, the console with the superior hardware has NEVER been the market-share leader. Such is the price you pay for dicking around with your hardware when you should have been appealing to developers. Old Sony was great at this. New Sony has seem to forgotten this, and where they fumbled, Microsoft is recovering and going for the touchdown.

9. PS2 outselling next-gen consoles - His logic is merely flawed on this one. The PS2 is outselling next-gen consoles because the game library is vast and of relatively high quality. Two years down the road, the Xbox 360 will have that superior library - just look where the developer support is going. He also says "The price will have come down, the game library will be broad..." I'd bet dollars to donuts that the Xbox 360 will always cost less than the PS3, and the game library will not be as broad as the Xbox 360's. Finally, he says "...and the top PS3 titles will probably have the edge in both graphics and sound." Oh, you mean like how everyone bought an Xbox instead of a PS2 because it had an edge on graphics and sound? :rolleyes: (The PS2 outsold the Xbox more than 4:1)

10. Something for Everyone - The gist of this one is, the PS3 will have more games. And thats just incorrect. If the Xbox 360 continues to snatch up developers like it has been, the PS3 is going to have a dozen decent exclusives in the next five years - reminiscent of the original Xbox. Already, the Xbox 360 has Halo 3 and GTA4, the two strongest video game franchises currently ongoing. (Well, those two and Mario, but that is obviously a Wii exclusive), and the PS3 has only GTA4. Add to that, Gears of War, Devil May Cry, Guitar Hero, Mass Effect, Ace Combat 6, and all the sports game which are arguably superior due to XBL.

Bottom line is, its about the games, and this guy addresses this in only his final point. Microsoft is doing an excellent job of attracting developers to the Xbox platform. Attracting developers is one of the few things Microsoft does well. I think its going to be a close match, but if you forced me to bet on one or the other, right now, I'd put my money on Xbox.

It's also worth nothing that this guy works for Insomniac Games, an exclusive developer of PlayStation games. So obviously, hes going to defend the PS3 - his livelyhood depends on it.

scratt
2007-03-28, 20:27
Fair responses, and yes he is probably a little biased towards the PS3.

The new elite 360 offers so little over and above the current HD model, and it misses so many important things: Wifi and HD-DVD. In fact you are paying a stupid premium for an HD and a black finish, rather like the black MacBook! The omissions of HD-DVD is almost a tacit admission that the format war is over IMO, and had they actually bothered to put one in then they may have added a small amout of fire to HD-DVDs fight back.. As it is I think it's the final nail in the coffin for that one now, and retailers will come in with the coup de gras very soon.

Once you add that all into the equation and 2 or 3 years of XBox live then the 360 is an *expensive* console to buy compared to the PS3! To be frank I am pissed off at how much stuff you have to buy on XBox Live (after paying a monthly subscription to a pretty laggy P2P system), most notably the new maps for Lost Planet.. It seems that since teh evil one introduced a payment scheme to online games many developers true colours have come out, and EA have embraced satan completely. And as for the *free* 'Silver Membership', pah what a joke!

We need to revisit this in 2008, around Decemeber and see where it's all at.

Oh, and as for the Wii. IMO It is very definitely a fad. Like hoolahoops, or roller skating....

alcimedes
2007-03-28, 21:04
I think it's a mistake to assume something is a fad just because those who purchase it aren't your hardcore gamers. Casual gamers will buy the Wii, which in the long run will give it a large overall lead in installed units.

I think in the end that will do a lot to attract developers at the end of the day.

torifile
2007-03-28, 21:12
scratt, I think it's too early to call a winner in the next gen console format wars. That said, the article made some good points and the 360 Elite is unbelievably stupid. Still, it's the games that win the day and right now the PS3 doesn't have any compelling ones.

Why didn't they make God of War 2 a PS3 title? The PS3 needs a killer, must have game and right now it's without one. The 360 has a couple: Halo and Gears of War. Even the Wii has one with Zelda. Is there one for the PS3 on the horizon that I'm missing?

scratt
2007-03-28, 21:24
I think it's a mistake to assume something is a fad just because those who purchase it aren't your hardcore gamers. Casual gamers will buy the Wii, which in the long run will give it a large overall lead in installed units.

I was probably being too harsh calling it a fad.. I think it will become a parallel culture almost totally separate from the main stream gaming community. But that is just my opinion. Also my opinion this.. If they want to attract a more diverse community they must pull their finger out and get some online stuff working!

scratt, I think it's too early to call a winner in the next gen console format wars. That said, the article made some good points and the 360 Elite is unbelievably stupid. Still, it's the games that win the day and right now the PS3 doesn't have any compelling ones.

Why didn't they make God of War 2 a PS3 title? The PS3 needs a killer, must have game and right now it's without one. The 360 has a couple: Halo and Gears of War. Even the Wii has one with Zelda. Is there one for the PS3 on the horizon that I'm missing?

Agreed it's too early to call. I just think that there has been a massive shift in perception in terms of the hardware and the 'format war' in recent months. All stuff I kind of saw coming but didn't see anyone listening, whilst I also thought to myself, wow, what did Sony do to get so much grief from the community!

You are absolutely right that there is realy no good content for the PS3, which is why I have a 360 and play that whilst my PS3 is gathering dust. I just think that a lot of the critisism of Sony was unfair. They have really been working hard behind the scenes on improving, and coming up with some original stuff, for their online service. The fact that it is free compared to XBox Live is something I only really saw as an issue when I did the maths after reading that article. I also resent paying the fees I do for Live only to be stiffed on content because of 'territory issues', and then to have to pay to buy points to buy maps and stuff, which hitherto have been free from everyone...

Add that all up over 24 months and the 360 in any incarnation is lacking on hardware features and costs more than the PS3 in real terms! I also think that having any base model which does not have an HD is a huge design flaw which means that every game has to be designed for non-HD systems, and that problem will remain an issue for quite some time.

As I see it Sony only have to put out one or two awesome PS3 titles now to put themselves in a very good position to pull this thing back... Not bad when you consider how bad it has been painted for them up until now.

To be frank I have bought all the 360 titles I want, and still feel that my library is pretty small and I have completed most of the games I have. Heck, I have even started checking out a few XBox games like Fable and so on becuase even on the 360 content is still lacking! I am now counting the days until Mass Effect, Assassins Creed etc. come out and can see me not playing either box much for a while this year except for the odd online bash about..

EDIT - And sorry we keep missing each other online - I think our time zones must be completely opposite!

Once there are some good titles for the PS3 I think you'll see a lot of developers starting to eat their words and want to shift product for it. At the end of the day it's all about selling stuff, and that will override any 'exclusivity' for the 360 when people see another viable revenue stream.

LIke I said let's look at this all again in 2008.. By then I think the PS3s extra features, and Sony's free online service will have made quite a difference, particularly in Europe....

torifile
2007-03-28, 22:11
EDIT - And sorry we keep missing each other online - I think our time zones must be completely opposite!
Well, I haven't been playing AT ALL since my son was born 5 weeks ago. Last night was the first time in weeks I had even turned my Xbox on!

scratt
2007-03-28, 22:18
Wow! Congrats... How did I miss that great news. Is there a thread with pictures yet!?!? Hmm??

Ah well.. When you have time send me a message and we'll go kick some asses in the snow.. I am elmost Elite level on Lost Planet now!! ;)

cosus
2007-03-29, 04:39
Hear that the PS3 in the UK costs £450 ~ 900 USD?

Bryson
2007-03-29, 04:50
Close. It's £425.

scratt
2007-03-29, 04:52
Everything is expensive in the UK, including Apple. It's the UK that's at fault, not the manufacturers.

Bryson
2007-03-29, 04:59
Yeah, cost of living is way too high. (hence, why I'm moving to Canada!) At least our prices are quoted including taxes, though. That always totally throws me when I'm in Canada or the States.

Dorian Gray
2007-03-29, 08:03
in 2008.. By then I think the PS3s extra features, and Sony's free online service will have made quite a difference, particularly in Europe....
Why do you think the PS3 will do better in Europe than other markets? Perhaps because the PS2 did so well versus the Xbox in Europe? I've noticed that HD DVD seems to be doing better than Blu-ray in Europe so far (the PS3 will probably turn the tables in that war though). And the Xbox 360 did okay so far, I think. Note that the PS2 was cheaper than the Xbox, and HD DVD is cheaper than Blu-ray. Seems like European customers are not all that interested in paying a king's ransom for their electronic gadgets, perhaps partly because these things cost so much more here, or due to lower disposable income, or different priorities, or whatever.

Yeah, cost of living is way too high.
Photoshop CS3 from the US Adobe Store: US $649
Photoshop CS3 from the UK Adobe Store: £569.88 (US $1,119)

Even without VAT (which is higher in the UK than in the US), the price is £485 (US $952). And this is software sold from an online store, not a restaurant meal or something, so it's almost impossible to blame the cost of labour for the difference in price. I guess it's what the market will bear. Why the UK market tolerates these prices is a mystery.

Kraetos
2007-04-18, 20:58

God of War 2 has been in development since way before PS3 devkits went out. So, their options were: port the engine to the PS3, which is a difficult task that would yield poor results; rewrite the entire engine from scratch, which would take years; or simply release for PS2 and hit a much wider audience. (Pop quiz: would you rather develop software for a platform with an installed base 110 million or 1.4 million? Take your time... ;) )

I personally think they made the right choice. Daikatana, one of the biggest flops in video game history, owes much of its crappiness (not to mention huge delays) to an attempted engine port. (Quake --> Quake II) And they were just porting content; much less rewriting an entire engine!

No, God of War II was a fitting finale for the PS2. And given the whopper of a cliffhanger it ended with, God of War III is both guaranteed and has a 99% chance of being incredibly awesome. The PS3 will be there in 2009, and I'll be waiting.

As for PS3 upcoming killer games? Metal Gear Solid 4 looks promising. Final Fantasy XIII for the RPG fans out there. GTA IV will have exclusive PS3 content. (It will have exclusive X360 content as well, though. Hopefully they will eventually release the same content for both platforms, because I really don't feel like buying two copies of GTA IV. Especially after Halo 3 Legendary Edition sucks my wallet dry! :) ) I'm also willing to give Killzone 2 (3?) the benefit of the doubt. Apparently Killzone PSP was pretty solid, and hopefully they've learned from their mistakes. Killzone had some real potential to it, actually, but it was very rough around the edges, was pretty ugly, had a very uninteresting selection of weapons, and the whole "multiple characters" thing was more of a gimmick than a feature.

Me? Play video games much? Nah.... ;)

(PS sorry about the bump. I figured it was best to resurrect this thread before the Xbox 360 elite thread becomes a console debate!)