PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry

chantman
2007-02-12, 22:47
Disclaimer: I'm disorganized as hell, therefore I don't care about PIM features.

All I want is something to surf the web, grab email (I don't want to use "Push" if I don't have to), and talk on without crashing.

Will I get the same kind of results viewing a website on the BB Browser as I would IE on Windows Mobile? That's the only question I've not found answered consistently.

Thank you for your time.

-Chantman

Yontsey
2007-02-12, 23:02
what service do you have?

torifile
2007-02-12, 23:08
When I had a BB 8700c, the web browser was strictly 90's in its presentation. That is, FUGLY. On a Windows Mobile device, you can use a real browser like Opera Mobile. If you're not going to use push email, a BB isn't for you. Plus, they're still using 2.5G rather than the 3G speeds most of its competitors use. Skip the BB. Go with something like a Treo 750 (or 700wx on Sprint).

Wraven
2007-02-13, 12:03
I just got a BB 8703e and it has a pretty nice web browser (i.e. it will go graphics and javascript). That being said, it is still VERY slow (even on Verizon's EVDO network).

And yes, the Windows Mobile devices have MUCH better web browsers. I'd go that route (the only reason I have this BlackBerry is because it is free and securely accesses my corporate network and my Lotus Notes email).

chantman
2007-02-13, 13:00
I have Verizon as a service provider. I would be buying the iPhone if I got decent Cingular reception everywhere I go.

I appreciate your comments on the Windows Mobile Phones. I think they would work well for me too. My only issue is I would rather not have a phone with a stylus. Also, I've had Windows Mobile devices before, and they seem to be prone to crashing and erratic problems. I don't want my phone to crash when I most need it. Have they gotten better?

-Chantman

torifile
2007-02-13, 20:58
I have Verizon as a service provider. I would be buying the iPhone if I got decent Cingular reception everywhere I go.

I appreciate your comments on the Windows Mobile Phones. I think they would work well for me too. My only issue is I would rather not have a phone with a stylus. Also, I've had Windows Mobile devices before, and they seem to be prone to crashing and erratic problems. I don't want my phone to crash when I most need it. Have they gotten better?

-Chantman
Yes. In my opinion, WM5 is leagues better than previous WM versions. I've had several types and all of them have been rock solid. I've currently got a Treo 700wx with Sprint and I haven't had to reset it once in weeks. The 8525 I had before it was equally solid. Having to use a stylus can be a pain, but it's also got its advantages. The Treo is nice because Palm has done some tweaking to make it almost fully one-handed in many cases.

Yontsey
2009-08-19, 10:21
Has anyone picked up the Blackberry Tour yet for Verizon? I'm thinking about dropping my iPhone because of service. I'm just entertaining the thought, but at&t's service is awful at my house and work, which I'm mainly at and I hate dropping every other call I receive and having to wait 5-10 minutes sometime to send a text message.

Just looking for some feedback. It looks like the BB Bold's little brother.

Robo
2009-08-19, 15:54
Just looking for some feedback. It looks like the BB Bold's little brother.

The Tour is supposed to combine the best features of the Bold and the Curve 89xx series. I'm not a big BlackBerry nerd but I know that everybody on BGR was freaking out about it. If you're switching to Verizon, it seems to be the obvious choice, since they don't have the Bold or Curve 89xx. And the Storm sucks.

That said, the second-generation Storm is clearly hitting Verizon quite soon, so if you want to keep the touchscreen...

Yontsey
2009-08-19, 16:05
The Palm Pre was also brought to my attention as it should be on Verizon around January.

This would all be fixed if at&t would come out with that femtocell already.

Iago
2009-08-19, 17:42
I don't know what femtocell is, but it sounds like a renewable energy source created from processed vaginal fluids.

Yontsey
2009-08-19, 17:55
haha, wow.

It's like your own cellular tower for your house that you hook up via broadband. T-Mobile and Verizon have one out already and I think Sprint does too.

The at&t one is supposed to cover 5000sqft and be able to have three 3G phones connect at once.

Prices vary, but it depends on if it runs like a VoIP or just gives services and if you own or rent the tower.

Here (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=gotoFemtocell) is Verizons.

2009-08-19, 21:58
I don't know what femtocell is, but it sounds like a renewable energy source created from processed vaginal fluids.Sounds awesome. I wonder if Timex would sell their slogan, because it would be perfect.

Partial
2009-08-19, 22:18
Use Opera Mini. It's pretty great. BB Browser is pretty good, but I prefer Opera. Both are better than IE on Windows Mobile imo.