PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth headset/mic

richsyamaha
2007-03-11, 07:52
maybe someone can advise me as to which headset or if there is one that works at all i have a macbook pro (nice machine) and what i would like to do is listen to itunes and work my programs and answer skype when it rings . Doing all this with a bluetooth headset . ive started researching this and seems there is some ya and some nay . the headsets cost upwards of 100 dollars and just maybe someone here may have a answer on if there is a brand that works i emailed jabra and no answer came back. thanks for reading this post. mike .

chucker
2007-03-11, 08:40
Bluetooth headsets are generally monaural, meaning they only connect to one ear. Not only that; their sound is also optimized towards speech. So between not having any sound (even mono) go in the other ear, you also have to deal with rather low quality for music.

There are Bluetooth headphones (using A2DP), but A2DP support isn't coming until 10.5 Leopard, and as far as I know, such devices aren't very widespread yet anyway. Plus, I don't believe software like Skype supports A2DP audio, but only audio coming from a headset. (If there even is a Bluetooth headphone that also includes a mic, that is.)

In other words, I could be wrong, but you probably won't find a Bluetooth-based solution that is satisfying both for conversation and for music; Bluetooth treats them as decidedly different applications designed for different devices.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, though: I would be interested in hearing about it.