PDA

View Full Version : Adium 0.7 finally!

Wrao
2004-10-18, 16:13
Well, Adium 0.7 is out, and it's a major improvement from .63, however, they still haven't implemented available status messages( :devil: ) and I don't know what the status on file transfers is. But, so far, I'm really liking the new contact list, and all the new customization you can do to the contact list, I hope that the xtras community get busy. :)

edit:File transfer still stinks, and right as I was talking to my brother about how it is a good program, it crashed on me. :lol:

Brad
2004-10-18, 16:21
Yup! 0.7 has an all-new contact list. Very customizable, like the rest of the app. There have been oodles of other bug fixes all around too.

File transfer is as terrible as before. There have been no visible improvements in that area aside from a very small inline message during chat that transfer has begun and ended. You can also check the status of transfers by opening Adium's log in Console.app. Yes, file transfer can make it choke and crash. Sucks, huh?

On the good side, I pestered one of the developers and he said that he'd started working on Gaim's code to implement the AOL proxy (for file transfers) but that he didn't get to finish it and that it's too old to use now. However, he did say that he'd try to just sit down and toil away at it in the near future and that it's high on his to-do list.

Here's the obligatory link:

AdiumX.com (http://www.adiumx.com)

Wrao
2004-10-18, 16:23
File transfer is as terrible as before. There have been no visible improvements in that aside from a very small inline message during chat that transfer has begun and ended. File transfer can make it choke and crash. Sucks, huh?

Is there a particular reason for that? it's obvious they are capable programmers with a lot of good ideas, and they (more or less) know what they are doing. I guess file transfer is a tricky thing? or something.

Brad
2004-10-18, 16:30
I was editing while you were replying. Look up. :)

Basically, AIM and iChat communicate with a proxy to send files between users who can't connect directly. Gaim (what practically every 3rd party client is built from) does not have any support for AIM's proxy service.

There is a java client some guy wrote that does support it, but the code would have to be rewritten to play nice with Gaim (plus, I don't know what the terms of his license are).

ast3r3x
2004-10-18, 18:33
:o As .63, .7 crashes whenever I try to message somebody. Double click on a user in the buddy list, and kaput goes the program :\

Brad
2004-10-18, 21:12
Have you trashed your preferences? They've undergone a lot of changes and updates through the 0.6x series of builds and maybe yours is catching on some funky garbled data.

Nuke this folder and see if things improve: ~/Library/Application Support/Adium 2.0

ast3r3x
2004-10-18, 21:32
Thanks!

Adium 2.0 was in /... not ~/...

I'll forgive you though since .7 is working now :D

Brad
2004-10-18, 22:05
Adium 2.0 was in /... not ~/...VERY bizarre. Unless you put something there yourself, it shouldn't have been. :confused:

Ah well. At least it's working for you now. :)

ast3r3x
2004-10-18, 22:06
VERY bizarre. Unless you put something there yourself, it shouldn't have been. :confused:

Ah well. At least it's working for you now. :)

I moved nothing. Perhaps that is why it wasn't working? Like I said, .62 was the last thing that was working for me, everything else quit when I tried to message somebody. Either way, thanks again!

Purgatos
2004-10-19, 06:48
I like the look of 0.7.

Haven't noticed much else in changes... though at least there's SOME kind of file transfer notice. Does anyone know how it handles chats with 3+ people now?

DMBand0026
2004-10-20, 10:49
Overall, it's very nice, I still have a few gripes, but it's very nice, great app overall.

Has anyone had problems with it disconnecting? I've been booted a few times in the past few days and I wasn't sure why, as I still had a strong Airport signal.

Chats have been improved, buddy list viewing has been improved, file transfers have not, but I'm trying to make do because I really like this more than I like iChat.

Brad
2004-10-20, 11:00
Does anyone know how it handles chats with 3+ people now?If you mean group chats, it's right up there at the top of the File menu. I haven't tried it myself, but I think it works just like regular chats.

ast3r3x
2004-10-20, 11:04
I have adium open with my main name signed on, and have my ichat status available in the menu bar with another name I use for file transfers. It works out well.

SledgeHammer
2004-10-20, 13:35
Has anyone had problems with it disconnecting? I've been booted a few times in the past few days and I wasn't sure why, as I still had a strong Airport signal..Yeah. I sign on with two names and and yesterday and today (the two days I've been running .7) one or the other of them has randomly signed off for no aparrent reason. Overall, though, I love it (as usual). It took me a little while to notice the edit button in the contact list preferences but once I found it and made my list just how I wanted it, I was happy.

Question. Does anyone know how to edit offline contacts? I have a very long contact list and there are a lot of names I'd like to take off it, but the reason I am taking many of them off is that they are never signed on any more. Probalem is, I can only delete them if I can see them, which I can't when they're signed off. So how do I do it? Also, I'm not at my computer right now, so I can't check, but I don't remember seeing an option to import or export contact lists. Is there still a way for me to do this? Thanks for any help.

Brad
2004-10-20, 13:56
Question. Does anyone know how to edit offline contacts?View: Show Offline Contacts. :)

I don't remember seeing an option to import or export contact lists. Is there still a way for me to do this?Nope.

ast3r3x
2004-10-20, 14:04
Export the buddy list from AIM. Sign on with the other sn with AIM and import it and sign off. It will store it on the server, so when you sign on adium it has that buddy list.

In case somebody was mentally retarded and needed help with that...although I'm feeling that is more and more obvious and this post isn't needed more and more as I continue with this sentence and this is becoming a run on because I'm starting to think about even making this poist. Eh well, f it, it's a hint even if obvious.

Purgatos
2004-10-20, 14:13
If you mean group chats, it's right up there at the top of the File menu. I haven't tried it myself, but I think it works just like regular chats.

Yeah, that's what I meant... in previous releases the group chats would tend to go completely nuts, I was wondering if they've been improved.

Brad
2004-10-20, 15:38
Maybe you guys aren't alone after all, DMB and SledgeHammer. :\ I just found this hidden preference panel in the SVN builds. It's amazing what the developers are hiding from us mere mortals!

chucker
2004-10-20, 18:58
0.7 has improved group conversation code, yes.

For those looking for better file transfer, you'll have to wait for the 0.8 release.

DMBand0026
2004-10-21, 10:48
Maybe you guys aren't alone after all, DMB and SledgeHammer. :\ I just found this hidden preference panel in the SVN builds. It's amazing what the developers are hiding from us mere mortals!

Brad, I'm having trouble deciding if you're serious or not. However, I don't know where you would have gotten that screenshot if you weren't. Sorry if I'm an idiot and I missed the sarcasm, but if that really is a preference pane, a little clue as to how to get to it would be nice, thanks a bunch.

And one more gripe so I can get the most out of one post. When I close the lid on my PowerBook (put it to sleep) and than open it to wake it up Adium does not reconnect like it used to, I have to do it manually.

And for those wondering about group chats, it works great, I was on the AN chat room the other night talking for about an hour with no problems at all.

ast3r3x
2004-10-21, 11:33
Brad, you do have too much fun with Interface Builder :lol:

Xaqtly
2004-10-21, 12:11
Brad, I'm having trouble deciding if you're serious or not.

It has an option for Active Terror-Inducing Evil Duck - and you can't decide if he's serious?!

You need to bring your humor detection chip in for an upgrade. :D

ast3r3x
2004-10-21, 12:18
It has an option for Active Terror-Inducing Evil Duck - and you can't decide if he's serious?!

You need to bring your humor detection chip in for an upgrade. :D

In DMB's defense, when I'm making stuff, be it a web page or a PHP script (ok I guess that is really the same thing), or just working on an image, I'll put crazy stuff to keep myself amused. I can see adium's programmers putting that in just to fool around, not that they would do anything, but it'd be funny because of how bizarre it would be.

On that note, that panel is about as real as the "secret MS preference" window that used to be around about the computer crashing in x minutes.

Brad
2004-10-21, 12:51
It has an option for Active Terror-Inducing Evil Duck - and you can't decide if he's serious?!Actually, Evil Duck is what the developers call the Adium status menu item because its eyes used to constantly glow an evil red.

I'm dead serious! Search their forums if you don't believe me!

edit: Actually, I never noticed because I have it turned off, but the status icon still has evil glowing red eyes when you have a message waiting. :eek: Yikes! Perfect for Halloween, I guess.

DMBand0026
2004-10-21, 14:39
In DMB's defense, when I'm making stuff, be it a web page or a PHP script (ok I guess that is really the same thing), or just working on an image, I'll put crazy stuff to keep myself amused. I can see adium's programmers putting that in just to fool around, not that they would do anything, but it'd be funny because of how bizarre it would be.

Yeah, that was my thought, I've done some programming in VB and Java, and I've thrown stuff in like this just because the app I'm writing is boring as crap, so I have a little fun with it.

I just wasn't sure, it would make sense if that was real, because that seems to be Adium's biggest problems. File transfer, lag, and disconnects.

And I do have the stats icon in the menubar enabled, the red eyes have always creeped me out.

Brad
2004-10-21, 14:57
On that note, that panel is about as real as the "secret MS preference" window that used to be around about the computer crashing in x minutes.Bingo. ;)