PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on buying MBP or MB?

travisc77
2007-03-15, 14:38
I realize this is the typical "which should I buy" thread, which usually follows with "what do you want to do?" response, but I think I have a little twist on that scenario.

This purchase will initially be for my wife internet, email, maybe photos and I will purchase an Apple refurb. So very little heavy lifting, so considering that it seems watching for the $799 MB (core duo 1.83 w/ combo). The alternative is waiting, and finding the MBP $1299-1399 (core duo 1.83). I would envision this machine being my wifes for 2-3 years, then she would get another one. Then the machine would be passed down to one of the kids (then 8-12 years old). Obviously the MBP is more machine, but is it worth the $500-600 premium? Will it last 1-2 more years more or be able to do more for longer? It is a vague request but what do you think? Worth it or not?

I'm leaning to it not being worth it, although a back lit keyboard would be very nice. We have an Intel iMac for what little heavy lifting is needed and its connected to a 500gb FW drive for storage.

Any thoughts?

chucker
2007-03-15, 14:40
I'd say go with the MacBook. It should serve the purposes of your wife and kids just fine.

PB PM
2007-03-15, 14:42
In your case I'd say the issue would be what kind of display you like. If you don't mind having the small 13" screen, go for the Macbook, there is no reason to spend the extra cash if you do not need the extra screen space and a dedicated video card.

dmegatool
2007-03-15, 15:49
If the combo drive isn't a issue.

I mean... isn't the whole point of iLife to create dvd with photos et videos? If you won't use it and the screen isn't a problem either, go for the macbook all the way.

macleod
2007-03-15, 16:01
I wish I had purchased the MBP instead of the MB because of screen space. That is really the only benefit based on the uses that you described, IMHO.

curiousuburb
2007-03-15, 16:31
Macbook. Extra RAM (3rd party, d.i.y. install)
Consider spending any extra on a nice external widescreen or HD LCD as 2nd monitor over DVI
Wait to get an external FW Superdrive or Blu-Ray or whatever if you need burning bigger than CD, or a monster external FW HDD. Or both.

Plus, although the polycarbonate is scratch-prone, it's also tougher to ding than the aluminium. Matters if it's kid bound in future.

2+ years for a laptop may be obsolescence at the rate technology is changing, so the longer term plan may be moot anyway.

seek3r
2007-03-15, 16:54
Something to consider in the comparison that you may not have thought of is the keyboard form factor difference. Personally, I can't stand the macbook keyboards, I prefer the MBP/Powerbook KB design. When I code, I find that the MB KB makes my hands cramp up and I can't type as fast on them. It was a major strike against the macbook for me when I was choosing a new laptop. OTOH, I know people who actually prefer them, it's a personal thing. If someone is going to be spending a lot of time typing on this machine, it's important for it to be comfortable. Go to the Apple store or play on a friends machine and see what's most comfy!

travisc77
2007-03-16, 14:32
Thanks for all of the quality replies!

I decided on the MB 2.0 w/ DVDR, 60 GB, etc for $899 Apple refurb. I couldn't justify the added $500 for the MBP (15" MBP refurb for $1399). Don't get me wrong, I think the bigger HD & screen, better graphics and keyboard are all great, just not worth it in this case. I imagine the things that will get used the most are the same on both machines (wireless, camera, software, etc). I'm also not so sure that the useful life of the MBP is extended all that much with those added features.

Thanks for the help.

Travis