PDA

View Full Version : Need a new graphics card for Vista Media Center System

turtle
2007-03-19, 22:04
I don't know much about this side of the industry but my graphics card is dying. Listen here. (http://kellyent.dyndns.org:8080/an/gpufan.wav) :) Basically the fan on the GPU is making a lot of noise and is throttling itself in an odd manner. It revs up and slows down, only to repeat this presumably until the fan finally gives out.

This means I'm sure I'll need to replace the card before long, but I don't know how long. I'm going to run this thing until it dies since it isn't used that much. I do need to have a replacement in mind though for when it goes finally go.

P4 3GHz, 1GB RAM, ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 (dying), 8X AGP, Vista Ultimate, standard 19" CRT

I don't really need a card with TV input anymore so it doesn't have to be an All-In-Wonder this time. I'm also not a gamer, but I don't want to be left behind having to upgrade my card in a year. I also want it to have no issue with video playback since it is a Media Center and might drive a larger monitor in the near future. I can't think of anything else that is relevant but if I missed something please let me know and I'll answer. I think ATI is good, seems there is a Folding@Home client for those now. :D

Windowsrookie
2007-03-19, 22:23
You can replace the Fan. Sounds like bad bearings.

But right now, the X1900 series is the way to go I think. (but spendy)

X1600 is perfectly fine for everything, I can run Halo with everything enabled on it on my UNDERCLOCKED mobility radeon X1600 in my iMac. It's fairly cheap, but won't run F@H like the X1900.

turtle
2007-03-19, 22:32
X1900 seems to be only PCI-E. Am I missing something?

Something like this (http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=3122115) seems to be my best option from ATI. What about from another vendor, i.e. nVidia etc.

Schnauzer
2007-03-19, 22:54
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1964110&CatId=318

the x1600 was the highest i could find in AGP

Whole list of AGP cards: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=318

I personally found the x1300 a really good card for all around system use + it can run CS:S @ about 40-70 fps med settings, i was really blown away

chris e boy
2007-03-20, 08:38
i just ordered the X1550 AGP for my sister's machine. cost me 50 quid and it has been optimised for Vista. I'd recommend going for an ATI since the Nvidia drivers are a bit ropey under Vista at the moment.

I'll let you know how I get on, should be arriving Wednesday.

turtle
2007-03-20, 09:12
i just ordered the X1550 AGP for my sister's machine. cost me 50 quid and it has been optimised for Vista. I'd recommend going for an ATI since the Nvidia drivers are a bit ropey under Vista at the moment.

I'll let you know how I get on, should be arriving Wednesday.

Thanks, I'd love to hear you reviews on it.

Schnauzer, Thank for the info. It looks like it'll be the best of either the x1650 or x1550.

Schnauzer
2007-03-20, 18:06
Alrighty, glad i could help

chris e boy
2007-03-22, 08:16
Well, the card came yesterday. Installing was easy (although it didnt like ATI's drivers. Had to install from the Sapphire website). The card runs Vista very smoothly at 1440x900 with all the effects turned on. Media centre runs very well too.

My sister likes to play games like Halo and The Sims 2 on her pc and it runs these very smoothly at full resolution with all effects turned on.

All in all, a very good card. Undoubtedly the X1650 would be better but its also a lot more expensive.

Highly recommended.

Schnauzer
2007-03-22, 08:33
My sister likes to play games like Halo

:eek: thats kick ass, too bad she doesnt play a real game like source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter-Strike:_Source) :p :)

washington mac user
2007-03-22, 09:49
I would suggest getting an eVGa 7600GS

Schnauzer
2007-03-22, 18:52
I would suggest getting an eVGa 7600GS

ewww no

go for 7600 only if u can run sli

digitalprimate
2007-03-22, 20:13
ewww no

go for 7600 only if u can run sli

Is that sentence finished or were you cut off? ;)

What is sli?

Schnauzer
2007-03-22, 20:49
Is that sentence finished or were you cut off? ;)

What is sli?

SLI---> where u can run 2 video cards at the same time (each taking on part of the load---> why its good for gaming), i have 2 7600's running full x16 SLI in my gaming rig

you have to have an SLI mobo to run it, which has 2 PCIe slots

turtle
2007-03-23, 11:03
SLI---> where u can run 2 video cards at the same time (each taking on part of the load---> why its good for gaming), i have 2 7600's running full x16 SLI in my gaming rig

you have to have an SLI mobo to run it, which has 2 PCIe slots

I'm not into that stuff. No gaming rig, just a media center. I hate choppy video and a lot of my stuff is encoded. Looks like it'll be the ATI, when this one finally dies.

turtle
2007-03-31, 15:34
Well my GPU fan shut up, but is still moving air nicely. It's the weirdest thing. One night I went to bed and my wife and I were ready to pull the card and throw it out the window. The next morning we got up to quiet. I later realized I wasn't hearing the fan and opened the case to check on it, sure enough, it was running.

I guess it just wanted a little more attention from me. :D

Schnauzer
2007-03-31, 16:33
I guess it just wanted a little more attention from me. :D

:lol: :lol: