PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Home Networking

faust
2007-03-21, 12:40
My gf and I have totally ripped apart the inside of our new home to make such much needed improvements.
While the walls are open I've decided to wire the entire place so that when I need speed I can use the wired network. Also allows me to tie in my networkable color laser printer and 1 TB of networked storage.

So now I need to buy my switch (16 port) and router.
I'm also thinking of buying the AppleTV so I'll need a wireless network as well.

Any suggestions on units?

I've looked at the NetGear GS116Na switch, a Dlink 725GU router that was posted here and now the Airport Extreme that I know nada about.

What kind of setup do folks here have?

Schnauzer
2007-03-21, 13:14
Well... since your gonna be wiring the walls with ethernet, there is really no need for wifi.... the apple TV has an RJ-45 port for 10/100 wired...

The set up i have is pretty much all wired, gigabit cable, if you really wanted wifi for something, the airport extreme has the HD external usb port and print sharing... but it sounds like the laser printer has a RJ-45 port, so i wouldn't really go for the airport......

I have always used Dlink, for routers and switches and they work really well.....

faust
2007-03-21, 15:58
Well... since your gonna be wiring the walls with ethernet, there is really no need for wifi.... the apple TV has an RJ-45 port for 10/100 wired...

The set up i have is pretty much all wired, gigabit cable, if you really wanted wifi for something, the airport extreme has the HD external usb port and print sharing... but it sounds like the laser printer has a RJ-45 port, so i wouldn't really go for the airport......

I have always used Dlink, for routers and switches and they work really well.....

Good to know, I put a jack behind my TV last night but maybe I'll add a second one since I just went for it and ordered the Apple TV.

I'll give the Dlink units a look over this weekend.

thanks