PDA

View Full Version : Please give forum tool-tips the ability to be turned off.

mrmister
2004-05-22, 02:39
The title says it all--it can be a great feature, but as I slide my mouse around to read topics I'd like to choose whether I'm constantly looking at tool-tip pop-ups or not. Is that possible?

Luca
2004-05-22, 03:21
I think it's on Brad's to-do list. He told me earlier that he dislikes them as well... so have a number of other people, both here and at the appleinsideher chat room.

FFL
2004-05-22, 04:36
They're like all tool tips - pretty cool the firsrt couple times you see them, but fairly annoying after that.

A simple on/off toggle for these might be a nice example for the Tiger team. Or, even better, the MBU.

Brad
2004-05-22, 13:57
Yes, this is on my to-do list.

It's something that's a huge undertaking because there is no global setting to toggle it. I'm having to go and edit those hundreds of templates little bit by little bit to remove them.

*shrug*

mrmister
2004-05-23, 00:10
Cool--when you have the time. Thanks for keeping it all running.

Brad
2004-05-23, 14:11
Sweet sassy molassy! I think I found a toggle for it.

I just made some changed regarding the tooltips. They should be gone for the most part (at least for the thread preview things).

curiousuburb
2004-05-23, 15:47
Sweet sassy molassy! I think I found a toggle for it.

I just made some changed regarding the tooltips. They should be gone for the most part (at least for the thread preview things).

:( I liked the idea... perhaps just needs a tweaked implementation

SilentEchoes
2004-05-23, 17:38
Yeah I liked it to.

ast3r3x
2004-05-23, 20:28
I find them obnoxious and annoying. Just like women, if they aren't good looking, and are obnoxious and annoying, I will not put up with them ;)

torifile
2004-05-23, 23:19
How do you guys feel about the tooltips on the "recent threads" section of the front page? I don't like 'em much myself, but LoCash requested them, so I put them in. I can take them out if you guys want. (In case you haven't figured it out already, that section of the main page is my baby. :))

NosferaDrew
2004-05-24, 00:05
I say take them out in every instance, but that's just me.
I really don't see any use for tooltips at all. It's just an intrusion in the way I navigate.

Is it possible to write a plug-in or something (like an addition to PithHelmet (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18158)) that'll turn off tooltips in sites less receptive to suggested changes?

I swear I'll give $100 to anyone who can write something like this. :)

curiousuburb
2004-05-24, 02:55
How do you guys feel about the tooltips on the "recent threads" section of the front page? I don't like 'em much myself, but LoCash requested them, so I put them in. I can take them out if you guys want. (In case you haven't figured it out already, that section of the main page is my baby. :))

my regular bookmark is the View New Posts page, so I hadn't noticed at first

and at times the tip seems a few posts behind, rather than the last post itself,
but I'm still in the camp that thinks it's an inline efficiency in many cases,
so I'm giving the thumbs up to at least that usage. :D