PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 still good???

bikinistud
2007-03-30, 15:46
At my student computer store they ran a sale on the old 12in iBook G4.

Specs:

1.33 G4
1Gb ram
40gig HD
cd-rq/DVD
Airport/BT

Plus a 2gb Nano (1st gen), case, and lock.

All for $599.

I know I could sell it on ebay and get my money back but I'm considering keeping the iBook since it's smaller than my MacBook. Does it have any life left in it? Or do you think everything will go to Intel and that I should dump it?

Windowsrookie
2007-03-30, 16:02
Sounds like a good deal. And it will run OS X fine.

kieran
2007-03-30, 16:05
I use my iBook G4 (1.07 ghz) every day. it handles everything I throw at it with relative ease.

Granted, I don't do anything graphically intensive. Just browsing and stuff for school.

I still have about six months left on my AppleCare, so I'm gonna stick with this until then, and then I think I'm gonna wait for the next MacBook or MacBook Pro.

But back to the topic, a G4 iBook will still do most things very well.

Fahrenheit
2007-03-30, 16:07
Sounds like a good deal. And it will run OS X fine.

You would know, you probably have like six of them.

;)

turtle
2007-03-30, 16:14
It's a good deal for you now if you aren't bent on being on Intel systems. It'll handle most student work with ease. The question is what do you really need to do on your laptop. If it's admin type of work instead of creative then this would be perfect for you. This will handle creative stuff, just not was fast as the Intel systems will.

Boomerangmacuser
2007-03-30, 17:21
I bought a 14" 1.0 Ghz iBook g4 last year for $500 CDN (got a great deal on it I'd say). Does me just fine. Running 10.4 with 1.128 Gb RAM. I upped the RAM from 512 Mb. Made a HUGE difference. Battery still last over 2 hours. I watch movies without studdering. My wife does web design and electronic scrapbooking with it. Takes me a little while to rip movies but overall it works fine. I don't need intel 'cuz I have access to a PC for the once-in-a-blue-moon task. Get it and keep it. You can't go wrong.

Fahrenheit
2007-03-30, 17:23
At my student computer store they ran a sale on the old 12in iBook G4.

Specs:

1.33 G4
1Gb ram
40gig HD
cd-rq/DVD
Airport/BT

Plus a 2gb Nano (1st gen), case, and lock.

All for $599.

I know I could sell it on ebay and get my money back but I'm considering keeping the iBook since it's smaller than my MacBook. Does it have any life left in it? Or do you think everything will go to Intel and that I should dump it? Don't buy something cos its cheap, especially if you have a better Macbook anyway. $599 is still $599.

PKIDelirium
2007-03-30, 17:27
I use a 14" iBook G4 1.42Ghz as my main computer. I put a crazy amount of load on it, and its never failed me in any way.

Dorian Gray
2007-03-30, 17:31
Does it have any life left in it? Or do you think everything will go to Intel and that I should dump it?
It has plenty of life in it. With 1 GB of memory you'll be fine even for heavy multitasking and working with big photos, etc. There will be plenty of software for PPC Macs for at least a couple of years (there are still more PPC Macs than Intel in the wild).

$599 is cheap for a latest-revision iBook with 1 GB and an iPod in good working condition.

Partial
2007-03-30, 17:32
Don't buy it. You already have a good computer.

Boomerangmacuser
2007-03-30, 20:01
OK I was working under the assumption that bikinistud is actually in the market for a laptop. B/S, if you don't really *need* it just admit you're deal shopping, Mac collecting pack-rat. It's ok, you're among friends here...;)

bikinistud
2007-03-31, 15:39
Hey thanks guys for the responses! I went ahead and bought it and I must say it is just what I expected. My only complaint with my MacBook was that it overlapped the desks in lecture halls and would feel like I could break it if I pressed on it too hard. All it will be use for is Notes/internet and maybe a little Mediafork. It is MUCH quicker than I expected it to me.

@Boomeranmacuser: I AM a Mac collecting pack-rat ;-) I went from all PC back in May 06 (4 of them!) to all Mac (4 of them now!) It is an addiction...

turtle
2007-03-31, 16:31

@Boomeranmacuser: I AM a Mac collecting pack-rat ;-) I went from all PC back in May 06 (4 of them!) to all Mac (4 of them now!) It is an addiction...

I'm with you man! I just haven't gotten rid of my PCs. :D I have four Macs now though and am about to get another for myself to have an Intel model. (My wife is the owner of our MB.) A word of advice: Don't start with the clamshells. If you think Macs in general are addictive, you don't know a thing 'til you start with the clamshells. ;)

applebook
2007-04-05, 00:58
Don't buy something cos its cheap, especially if you have a better Macbook anyway. $599 is still $599.

I cannot agree more. Spring a bit more for a well used MacBook (under warranty) if possible.