PDA

View Full Version : iMac or Mac Pro

markjon
2007-04-02, 17:11
OK Experts I need some advice. My G4 desktop just died, Apple tells me it needs either a logic board or worse. ( I have no video output) So I guess I'll be buying a new computer sooner than I wanted too. Trouble is I'm stuck on which. I like the iMac 24 inch but I hate the fact that it will be hard to upgrade or swap out a hard drive if (when) it fails. But if I buy the Mac Pro I won't be able to up grade my 19 inch monitor. (Not enough funds). So I'd love to hear the pros and cons from people that know more than me. I use my G4 for Word & Excel and I also do some Photo editing with it. I also use a G4 Powermac when I travel and at work.

Thank You in advance

Mark

Windowsrookie
2007-04-02, 17:14
The iMac. Sounds like you have no need for the Mac Pro, and the iMac's hard drive isn't that hard to replace.

Suddoo
2007-04-02, 18:00
iMac, the hard drive should be at least 2+ years untill it even begins to think of failing. However, this depends on the HD and situaiton.

-Or you could wait for the new mid range models to come out

*cough* Hurry up Jobsey */cough*

macleod
2007-04-02, 22:04
I occasionally flip between wishing I had an iMac and being ecstatic with my Mac Pro. I am not your typical Mac Pro user though. I am not really a pro user at all, but I hope to get into photoshop and illustrator a little bit once CS3 is available.

I love the massive storage space of the Mac Pro and the ability to upgrade it pretty easily. I wish I had the iMac sometimes because it is so clean and simple; however, I also saw the downsides of that and that made me chose the Mac Pro. Such as, not much expandability/upgradeability and if the LCD breaks out of warranty you are sunk. Anyways, there are many positives and negatives to consider and for me the Mac Pro came out on top. I already had a monitor I could use for a while until I could save up for a newer one or get it for a gift. So the Mac Pro and a fully loaded iMac were only a little bit different in their prices. That was my thought process and I apologize if it is scattered but I hope it helps. :D

Robo
2007-04-03, 00:13
I'm a total iMac person. I really don't need the expandability/replaceable monitor (nor can I afford the higher price!). I think Apple should make a MHD (Midrange Headless Desktop), but I'd probably still choose the iMac. Maybe that makes me a design whore, I dunno.

I mean, the option to upgrade (beyond RAM) would obviously be nice, but I doubt I'd ever use it anyway.