PDA

View Full Version : A Handful of Random Questions Related to Purchasing a MacBook Pro

Kraetos
2007-04-03, 12:48
I am on the cusp of purchasing a MacBook Pro. Ideally, I would get a 2.33 GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD for $2400 after student discount.

However, a few ideas/issues have been floating in my mind.

1) Refurbished. I can get the same machine, less 40GB of HD, for $2000 :eek: . Can I put AppleCare on a refurbed machine? I would put AppleCare on the machine, as it is allowed. Will there be any huge problems with purchasing a refurb from Apple, or is it 99% the same as buying it new?

2) External hard drive. While most everything will fit onto 120 GB, my movies and TV shows will not. (All purchased legally on the iTS, of course.) The huge problem with this is that I know of no way to tell iTunes to store my music and videos in different places. Is there an easy way to do this with a third party plugin? I can, though, think of a nasty workaround: keep only music on the internal, and then keep EVERYTHING on the external, and switch libraries on the road. That, of course, means I would need to keep my playlists and purchases synced as well - huge pain in the ass.

3) Replacing the hard drive. How easy is this to do? Would I break any seals or stickers in the process, which would void my warranty? (If I ever needed service, I would simply put the original drive back in. But this would not work if there was some sort of tamper-proof seal guarding the internals.)

Thanks in advance, guys. :)

spikeh
2007-04-03, 13:36
I can't really help, despite owning a MBP, but I'd certainly get the new one with the bigger hard-drive. It'll be in perfect condition, and refurb models are occasionally, um, not.

Sketch
2007-04-03, 13:36
I am on the cusp of purchasing a MacBook Pro. Ideally, I would get a 2.33 GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD for $2400 after student discount.

However, a few ideas/issues have been floating in my mind.

1) Refurbished. I can get the same machine, less 40GB of HD, for $2000 :eek: . Can I put AppleCare on a refurbed machine? I would put AppleCare on the machine, as it is allowed. Will there be any huge problems with purchasing a refurb from Apple, or is it 99% the same as buying it new?

I haven't bought one, but most ppl here would tell you that this would be fine.

3) Replacing the hard drive. How easy is this to do? Would I break any seals or stickers in the process, which would void my warranty? (If I ever needed service, I would simply put the original drive back in. But this would not work if there was some sort of tamper-proof seal guarding the internals.)

Thanks in advance, guys. :)

HDD replacement in MBP is not possible for users. Users are allowed only to replace the battery and extra RAM. If you want the HDD replaced in your MBP you can buy the HDD yourself and let a apple certified technician replace it. For this you would have to pay the cost of replacement. Also keep in mind that Apple would not give a warranty for the replacing HDD. This would be only possible if you buy a HDD from Apple store. However, in a Macbook you can replace the HDD yourself

Wyatt
2007-04-03, 13:38
Refurbs, I (and others) have often stated, are 99% like new Macs. If you replace the hard drive in the MBP, I believe that does violate (and therefore void) the warranty. I'm not sure how they can tell you've done it, though.

As far as #2 goes, I think that's been discussed before, but I'm too lazy to search. :p

Bryson
2007-04-03, 13:41
Although: I had a bad experience with a refurb, so it's not always a perfect experience. YMMV.

kretara
2007-04-03, 13:48
I have bought (for personal/family use) 6 refurb Apple products (3 iPods, 1 laptop and 2 desktops) and every one has been perfect. I have bought 2 new Apple products (1 iPod and 1 desktop) and the iPod was nothing but a problem since day one.

It is always a crap shoot. Not just with Apple, but with any manufacturer.

I always buy refurb unless my edu discount makes the item cheaper than a refurb.

zippy
2007-04-03, 14:37
Under the iTunes Preferences, Advanced Tab, General Sub-Tab, uncheck the box that says "Copy files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to Library". Place all of your TV shows and Movies on the external drive before you add them to your library and they will stay there. Music that you purchase or Rip from CDs should go into your iTunes Folder, which you can keep on the internal drive.

Partial
2007-04-03, 15:02
Why exactly are you buying a third intel mac and building a brand new 1000+ USD pc as well? I feel like 4 computers, even 3, is overkill.

Kraetos
2007-04-03, 15:12
Why exactly are you buying a third intel mac and building a brand new 1000+ USD pc as well? I feel like 4 computers, even 3, is overkill.

I'm selling the first two. To save money.

The Mac Pro and the MacBook are worth about $4500 combined. The PC and the new MacBook Pro are going to be $3500 combined, freeing up $1000 in the process, but giving me a powerful portable again and a PC I can tinker with at will.

HDD replacement in MBP is not possible for users. Users are allowed only to replace the battery and extra RAM. If you want the HDD replaced in your MBP you can buy the HDD yourself and let a apple certified technician replace it. For this you would have to pay the cost of replacement. Also keep in mind that Apple would not give a warranty for the replacing HDD. This would be only possible if you buy a HDD from Apple store. However, in a Macbook you can replace the HDD yourself

It's certainly POSSIBLE. Whether or not it is wise was my question. I thought the answer was no, and this confirms it. External HD for me.

As for the quality of refurbs: I think I'll just go with the new 2.16 GHz model, student discount, of course, with 160 HD, and then add the extra GB myself from NewEgg. Should come in right around $2000, but new. The extra VRAM is useless and the extra 167 MHz isn't worth the $500.

Under the iTunes Preferences, Advanced Tab, General Sub-Tab, uncheck the box that says "Copy files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to Library". Place all of your TV shows and Movies on the external drive before you add them to your library and they will stay there. Music that you purchase or Rip from CDs should go into your iTunes Folder, which you can keep on the internal drive.

Good plan. I used to always keep organize library checked, but since I don't pirate songs anymore, I don't have to do that - ripping and iTS are the only sources of my music.

kretara
2007-04-03, 15:14

Oh, I don't know about that.
I currently have
MDD DP 1.42 -- main computer
MDD DP 1.0 -- media server
Beige Box Athlon -- file server (linux)
Sun Cobalt Qube 3 -- just a toy at the moment
ThinkPad x24 -- my main laptop -- use it to interface with work since they exclude any connection from a Mac (linux)
Lombard 400 -- wifes laptop
G3 300 iBook -- daughters computer
I also have a G4 500 TiBook that I am rebuilding, this will be my main (non work related) laptop
AND I am currently looking to build a 1+ TB RAID'ed media server to serve movies and music. Currently looking at either a 4u rackmount or a BIG tower with 10 drive bays.

So, that is 8 computers with 1 on the way. But when I get my BIG server, I will be able to retire my Beige Box Athlon and my MDD DP 1.0 (Both of which are already for sale locally) which will take me to 7 computers.

Partial
2007-04-03, 15:18
I currently have
MDD DP 1.42 -- main computer
MDD DP 1.0 -- media server
Beige Box Athlon -- file server (linux)
Sun Cobalt Qube 3 -- just a toy at the moment
ThinkPad x24 -- my main laptop -- use it to interface with work since they exclude any connection from a Mac (linux)
Lombard 400 -- wifes laptop
G3 300 iBook -- daughters computer
I also have a G4 500 TiBook that I am rebuilding, this will be my main (non work related) laptop
AND I am currently looking to build a 1+ TB RAID'ed media server to serve movies and music. Currently looking at either a 4u rackmount or a BIG tower with 10 drive bays.

So, that is 8 computers with 1 on the way. But when I get my BIG server, I will be able to retire my Beige Box Athlon and my MDD DP 1.0 (Both of which are already for sale locally) which will take me to 7 computers.

Yes but that includes your families computers and you're not a college student. Plus, those are older systems. Not all are 1000+ USD purchases.

Mugge
2007-04-03, 15:25
(...)

I know your type. I have a friend like you. Before he moved out from his parents, the floor in his room was covered in burnt circuit boards and other stuff.

kretara
2007-04-03, 15:41
I know your type. I have a friend like you. Before he moved out from his parents, the floor in his room was covered in burnt circuit boards and other stuff.

LOL!!! That is me.

I did not list these computers, because they are not fully functioning, but I am in the process of rebuilding a bunch of computers.
I have a 17" 1.25 iMac, 3 PowerBook Pismo's and 3 TiBooks (not including that one listed as reserved for myself) that I am refurbishing and going to sell. My wife is constantly on my case about how cluttered my 'office' area is. It is like a little slice of heaven to me.

Kraetos
2007-04-03, 20:59
Alright! Went with a new 2.16 GHz, 160 GB HD, 1 GB RAM, and AppleCare.

The $200 delta between a refurb and a student discounted was enough for me to splurge. I don't want a lemon!

Thanks guys :)

(Oh yeah, and I also already sold my Mac Pro to a family member for $3000. Sweet!)

macleod
2007-04-03, 21:24
Wow. That is a darn good price for you with the sale of the Mac Pro. I am wanting to sell my MacBook to move to a MacBook Pro but just don't think I could get enough for it. Let me know how the sale of yours goes if you don't mind.

Sketch
2007-04-04, 03:20
It's certainly POSSIBLE. Whether or not it is wise was my question. I thought the answer was no, and this confirms it. External HD for me.

Actually this was the one I answered to. I know it is possible, but not wise :D. Sorry about the confusion

torifile
2007-04-04, 08:35
Kraetos, you got lucky by unloading that Mac Pro just before the new procs were released. :)

Kraetos
2007-04-04, 10:31
Kraetos, you got lucky by unloading that Mac Pro just before the new procs were released. :)

Yeah. I know. By like, two days. Literally. I feel a little bad because it is a member of my family, but at the same time, the price for MY Mac Pro hasn't changed - the new octocore is just more money, the quads remain the same.

seek3r
2007-04-04, 14:37

Damn man, you should see my house, dad's a programmer and I'm a student with comps as both my hobby and my way of making money while in school. We've got, uh, quite a collection. In my room right now I have 7 operating systems running on 4 architectures on 10 comps :-p.

Brad
2007-04-06, 13:53
Thread pruned. Let's at least try to stay on topic, folks. If you want to discuss those "get a free macbook" schemes, do it elsewhere, preferably in private.

Edit: Actually, since the original point of the thread has been resolved (ie. Kraetos bought the MBP), I'll just close the thread now.