PDA

View Full Version : New MacBook (Pro)

Slahcer
2007-04-05, 11:16
At this summer I want to buy a MacBook, but is their any of you, who knows if there's a new on the way?
Or should I not expect a new MacBook this year?

chris e boy
2007-04-05, 11:49
according to mactactic: http://mactactic.com/ there is a possibility of it being replaced.

Unfortunately nobody is able to say for sure. Apple don't generally announce products until they are ready for sale or pre-order. Almost everyone in this forum will tell you that if you need it now, buy it, if not, wait until a new model comes out and buy that one.

Your choice at the end of the day.

bassplayinMacFiend
2007-04-05, 12:33
If you want to buy a new MacBook (Pro) this Summer, wait until after WWDC. WWDC is from June 11th through the 15th, 2007. If a new model is introduced before WWDC, disregard this advice. To save money, I wouldn't buy anything until Leopard comes in the box with your laptop.

Windowsrookie
2007-04-05, 12:49
No, nobody ever knows when a new unannounced Apple product is coming out. I go by the 6 month rule. If it's older than six months, wait.

Kraetos
2007-04-05, 15:30
I just bought a MacBook Pro. The Santa Rosa platform is only a minor improvement covering WiFi, FSB, and integrated graphics. Only one of these matters with regard to the MBP, and the improvement is marginal. (667 MHz FSB --> 800 MHz FSB)

Don't expect Core 3 Duo (codename Penryn) chips until 2008.

Bottom line? I don't expect the next MBP to be anything more than a marginal speed bump. If cost is a concern, though, then you could always wait for Santa Rosa MBPs and then buy a current gen MBP refurbished for almost 40% off the current prices.

(Disclaimer: I might be woefully wrong. For all I know, the next MBP has a redesigned, "aluminum MacBook" case, super high-res screen, and a nuclear fission powered battery. Take my advice at your own risk.)

Windswept
2007-04-05, 18:39
I just bought a MacBook Pro.
I see from your signature that you also have a MacBook.

So far, for your particular needs, do you think the MBP is 'far' superior to the MB? And if so, why?

What features were lacking in the MacBook that made 'you' decide you needed to move up to the MacBook Pro?

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments, Kraetos. :)

Windowsrookie
2007-04-05, 18:40
My MacBook was just delivered. It's soooooo sexy. :D

Kraetos
2007-04-05, 18:57

So far, for your particular needs, do you think the MBP is 'far' superior to the MB? And if so, why?

What features were lacking in the MacBook that made 'you' decide you needed to move up to the MacBook Pro?

Ah, glad you asked. :) Screen size/resolution was my primary motivator; I find 1280 x 800 too cramped, even away from my desk. But the higher RAM limit, dedicated GPU, FW 800 port, and ExpressCard slot also helped. After student discount, my MBP is only about $400 more than my MacBook was.

As for my needs? The usual suspects (email, surfing, word processing, IM), but also programming and web design. A full comparison can be offered sometime next week, if you like.

That said, I am selling my MacBook and Mac Pro in favor of having a single, powerful portable Mac and a custom built PC. I'll update my sig when the MacBook Pro arrives on Monday :).

Windswept
2007-04-05, 19:18
A full comparison can be offered sometime next week, if you like.

Yes, please. :)

Windowsrookie
2007-04-05, 21:38
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/248/447725233_949bba9496.jpg

It's Purdy. :)

macleod
2007-04-05, 22:35

I have used the MacBook Pro a fair amount (steal my mom's whenever I am home) and I have a black MacBook that I got right when they came out. It all really depends on your usage as to what you prefer. I love my MacBook, but I really wish I had forked over the extra cash and just bought a MacBook Pro instead of being lured by the "newness" of the MacBook (I got the first and only black MacBook the store had the day after it was released). I sat there in the store with the MacBook in my hand and rationalized that I wanted to save the money and I wanted a smaller footprint.

Both are perfectly valid concerns that I still have, but I really love the MacBook Pro. The screen is a great size. I feel cramped sometimes when using my MacBook because of how small the screen is. This isn't a huge problem because I only use it when away from my desk; however, I just wish the screen was a little bigger. I haven't used a MacBook Pro in class yet, but I see people with them and they seem to be fine taking notes on it in an auditorium on their lap so I don't think it is too big at all for that. I am just an average user so the big draw is screen size. But the other factors that make me want one are a dedicated GPU (my MacBook weirds out sometimes playing not extremely graphic demanding games) and a FW 800 port.

I am just going to wait for about 1 or 2 yrs (if I can have that much self control) and then I will probably upgrade to a MacBook Pro. That way I will be leaving college and starting Grad school with a new laptop and my trusty Mac Pro.

Partial
2007-04-05, 23:32
free mbp offer got significantly tougher at march 1st.

Slahcer
2007-04-06, 03:27
Thank you for your advice, I think I'll wait and see what happends during the summer.

Windswept
2007-04-06, 13:39
I have used the MacBook Pro a fair amount (steal my mom's whenever I am home) and I have a black MacBook that I got right when they came out. It all really depends on your usage as to what you prefer. I love my MacBook, but I really wish I had forked over the extra cash and just bought a MacBook Pro instead of being lured by the "newness" of the MacBook...
Thank you for your comments, macleod. :)

Does the MBP seem *lots* heavier (and more unwieldy) to you than the MB?

Or is the difference in size and weight not all that noticeable?

cosus
2007-04-06, 13:47
It sounds almost like we're talking about a long sword! I mean, how wieldy does a notebook need to be? Enough to be swung over the head or enough that you can throw it 20 yards and have it land on a dime? ;)

Windswept
2007-04-06, 13:51
It sounds almost like we're talking about a long sword! I mean, how wieldy does a notebook need to be? Enough to be swung over the head or enough that you can throw it 20 yards and have it land on a dime? ;)
:lol:

:p

I am a small person. Size and weight are important to me when I have to carry something around.

(I would love to see a 12" MacBook Pro. :p )

cosus
2007-04-06, 13:57
I was about to write a response with reference to that Apple commercial with the midget, ahem vertically challenged, and the Chinese basketball player. When I was trying to think of the basketball player's name, I was thinking it could be Yu Chow. However, that's nonsense, yu chow is a chinese donut. But that got me thinking that if I think their foods sound like proper names, they must think our foods sound like proper names. I mean, think of it, imagine hamburger, hot dog, bagel, sausage and donut being thought as names? I bet it's as silly as thinking yu chow is the name of a Chinese basketball player. Hell, yu chow even sounds hungry, what the hell was I thinking?

Windswept
2007-04-06, 14:04
:lol:

I like how you get sidetracked. ;)

macleod
2007-04-06, 16:10
Thank you for your comments, macleod. :)

Does the MBP seem *lots* heavier (and more unwieldy) to you than the MB?

Or is the difference in size and weight not all that noticeable?

I think the the MacBook and the the MacBook Pro 15" are pretty comparable when carrying around. I mean it is definitely bigger and it is noticeable if you need to fit it in a bag with other stuff; however, when using it it doesn't just feel that big. According to the Apple specs it is only a 0.4 pound difference when carrying them I don't really feel that much of a difference in weight and it wouldn't be enough to stop me from getting a MacBook Pro.

I actually think I might prefer using the MacBook Pro on my lap because it wider and I can sit with my legs spread out a little more and it still is well supported.

The only other real physical difference I have noticed is changing between the keyboard types is kind of strange. I love the keys on the MacBook and would love to the the MacBook Pro adopt that on the next version. My only real problems with the MacBook Pro is that I wish it had a user replaceable hard drive, and had a magnetic latch.

Another thing I really enjoy about the MacBook Pro is the FAR superior speakers on the MacBook Pro. If I ever want to show someone a video or have them listen to something on my MacBook it is pretty much impossible for them to hear it well with any form of ambient noise.

I can take some pictures now that I am home if you would like. Just let me know if you want them and what type of comparison shots.

Schnauzer
2007-04-06, 17:07
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/248/447725233_949bba9496.jpg

It's Purdy. :)

nice :cancer:

spikeh
2007-04-06, 17:34
My only real problems with the MacBook Pro is that I wish it had a user replaceable hard drive, and had a magnetic latch.

Another thing I really enjoy about the MacBook Pro is the FAR superior speakers on the MacBook Pro. If I ever want to show someone a video or have them listen to something on my MacBook it is pretty much impossible for them to hear it well with any form of ambient noise.

The magnetic latch thing really, really bugs me. My MacBook Pro lid has never flushed close, which everyone tells me is supposed to be the way it is but I just wish it closed like the MacBook did for my own peace of mind. Little bits of dirt could get in through the crack when it's in my case ... I shudder to think.

And yeah, the speakers are great. I'm no audiophile but I'm happy enough not to take my speaker and subwoofer between home and University with me over the summer, I just use the laptop speakers. The bass is a little weak but it's better than shitty speakers you'd get with a Dell.

Kraetos
2007-04-18, 19:26
Yes, please. :)

My new MacBook Pro:

I love it.

The screen feels like it has plenty of breathing room to me. The MacBook screen was too cramped for me. I love the backlit keyboard, I've never had one before. I am glad I have an ExpressCard slot, as I plan on getting a wireless modem for it at some point in time.

I love having the X1600 GPU, as well. Plays WC3 and WoW very well. I'm going to test out Civ4 Warlords tomorrow.

The 1 GB of RAM is killing me, however. At times, it is noticeably slower than my MacBook which had 2 GB RAM. I plan on picking up a 2 GB stick from NewEgg in the near future. RAM is like money: you can never have too much. ;)

Having owned a PowerBook for three years prior to my MacBook, the size of the MBP feels normal too me. The thinness is key. Less than 6 lb. is great as well, I don't mind carrying it around. It isn't quite as portable as the MacBook though; the MacBook is a lot of power in a small package, that's for damn sure.

FW800 is also good to have, as my hard drive is on the verge of overflowing with iTunes-purchased TV shows and movies. I plan to pick up a large external drive soon and store any TV shows which aren't currently mid-season on it. (I don't wanna screw up new season pass episode downloads.) I'll probably end up using QuickTime to view them once their out of iTunes.

Overall, the screen size, the GPU, and the 3 GB RAM limit was what pushed me to the MacBook Pro. And I am not dissapointed. :)