PDA

View Full Version : WTF is wrong with my site?

Wyatt
2007-04-05, 18:38
I didn't really know where else to put this, so I hope this is the appropriate place.

I am totally unable to access my Web site (http://www.benwyatt.com/) through a browser. Here's the bitch of it: I can access it via FTP. I've been working with my site all day, and it has been fine all day.

I upgraded to Wordpress 2.1 yesterday, and it worked fine after the upgrade, so I don't think that's the problem. I also can't access files unrelated to WP anyway, so that can't be it.

I'm nowhere near my bandwidth quota (90MB of 3TB monthly transfer), storage quota (16MB of 5GB), or total files quota (about 1k out of 260k+).

My domain has not expired, and I haven't missed any bill payments.

Can any of you access it? WTF is wrong with my site?

*I'm on hold with tech support right now. The music's okay, but I'd really rather talk to someone.

spikeh
2007-04-05, 18:54
It's returning my pings alright. DNS I think.

Wyatt
2007-04-05, 19:03
It's returning my pings alright. DNS I think.
Well, that's much more helpful than listening to "fly like an eagle" on hold. Or even commercials for their unhelpful online FAQs.

Thanks, spikeh. Just for my future reference, is there a way to do that in the terminal in OS X? Is it just as simple as typing "ping" followed by the URL?

chucker
2007-04-05, 19:04
My guess is that the web server is overloaded, hanging, crashing, whatever.

Wyatt
2007-04-05, 19:06
My guess is that the web server is overloaded, hanging, crashing, whatever.
I would think that too, but this has never happened before. I've been with this company for three years, and I've never had a problem.

Maybe somebody on my server got slashdotted or digged.

I think while I sit on hold, I'll research other hosts. My domains expire in 3 weeks, so this is a good time to move. Any suggestions?

* I finally got through. I sat on hold for 30 minutes for the person on the other end to tell me there was nothing she could do and that everybody on my particular server was having this problem. Lame.

Suddoo
2007-04-05, 19:50
I'm port scanning and from what I've found so far in routing information, it seems to be a DNS error.. :D

Thanks, spikeh. Just for my future reference, is there a way to do that in the terminal in OS X? Is it just as simple as typing "ping" followed by the URL?

Go to 'network utility' (in the utilities folder). It has all the network tools you should need in there ;)

Wyatt
2007-04-05, 19:52
Ooh, that's fun! I always love to find new nerd toys. Thanks! :D

chucker
2007-04-05, 19:54
I'm port scanning and from what I've found so far in routing information, it seems to be a DNS error.. :D

What leads you to conclude this? The results of 'dig' and 'host' seem fairly straightforward, and if there was something wrong with DNS indeed, how could FTP work?

Suddoo
2007-04-05, 19:56
Mhmmmm, after a complete port scan, you only have TCP 22 (FTP) and TCP 21 (SSH) open.

Means: Yes, your FTP is working

It will probably be a server / DNS error. All you can do is get in touch with the admins, and sort it out from there..

Oh wells, nothing that you can do really :\

Wyatt
2007-04-05, 20:00
Okay, I'm a big nerd. Is there a good resource for learning about what the different ports are used for? It might be nice to have a reference for the next time I have to do something like this.

Suddoo
2007-04-05, 20:05
yep, quickly pop this onto your HD: (a .txt port list file)

http://194.164.236.112/files

then right click on 'ports' and download :)

And, then just look up the port description in wikipedia. They aren't hard to work out though :p

Wyatt
2007-04-05, 20:05
yep, quickly pop this onto your HD: (a .txt port list file)

http://194.164.236.112/files

then right click on 'ports' and download :)

And, then just look up the port description in wikipedia. They aren't hard to work out though :p
Safari can't find the server. You want to just e-mail me the file? Just use my nova screen name @gmail.com :) (edit: I just got the e-mail. Thanks!)

Also, it appears my site is back online for now. I still have no idea what happened. I guess one two-hour outage in three years isn't so bad, though. That's the only downtime I've ever had, and I pay less than $5 a month for my service.

turtle
2007-04-05, 20:06
There's a site called Shields Up! (https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2) that has a great wealth of info for you. It can run the port scans and also tell you what they are for.

chucker
2007-04-06, 04:27
Mhmmmm, after a complete port scan, you only have TCP 22 (FTP) and TCP 21 (SSH) open.

Means: Yes, your FTP is working

He pointed that out in the very first post. :p