PDA

View Full Version : Crazy japanese video games?

torifile
2007-04-08, 18:25
My sister-in-law is in Japan for a few weeks and I thought that it'd be cool if I could get some crazy-ass Japanese video games. I've got a PS3, a DS and a Wii. What would you guys recommend? I don't know about region-coding issues or anything and all my systems are US versions.

jdcfsu
2007-04-08, 18:32
I would recommend it for sure cause there is some crazy stuff over there, but unless you have hacked equipment I don't think it'll play unfortunately.

Robo
2007-04-08, 18:52
Actually, PS3 and DS games are universal. I'm not sure about the Wii...I don't believe Wii games are, unforunately.

torifile
2007-04-08, 21:19
Actually, PS3 and DS games are universal. I'm not sure about the Wii...I don't believe Wii games are, unforunately.
That's what I thought too. Can my PS3 play PS2 games from other regions? I'll look around to see what I can find out.

Robo
2007-04-08, 21:34
I'm not sure how it works with PS2 games, sorry. I'd assume they're still region locked.

torifile
2007-04-11, 07:37
I'm not sure how it works with PS2 games, sorry. I'd assume they're still region locked.
Hmm. My brother in law is a big PS2 user. He'd probably know.

So no recommendations for games? I thought that at least Roboman would have one for me. ;) I'll ask over at cheapassgamer.com and see what they've got. :)

Robo
2007-04-11, 16:12
I do have some recommendations! It's just...um...well, I haven't really imported anything in a while. :o

If you can find any the "bit Generations" titles on the cheap, pick them up. They're good for quick and simple fun, and you don't have to know Japanese.

Do you speak Japanese? That's really what I should be asking.

If not, well, Phoenix Wright 3 has an English mode... ;)

cosus
2007-04-11, 16:29
Katamari.

Robo
2007-04-12, 06:17
Katamari.

That's been released worldwide, though.

Well, if tori is from Europe, I suppose he can (read: should) pick up the original, which was never officially released in Europe.

But if he's from the States (and I'm assuming he is, as all of his systems are US systems) there's really no reason to import a copy and miss out on the King's Engrish. Although the Japanese version of We ♥ Katamari does have amazing boxart.

PS2 games are still region-encoded on the PS3, so owning a PS3 (which is universal) does not give you a universal PS2.