PDA

View Full Version : mini USB 2.0 to Firewire 400 cable?

Sketch
2007-04-11, 03:25
Anyone know where I can purchase such a cable? I couldn't find it in any on-line store (the ones I checked so far in Europe), so I am not sure if such a cable exists. Please let me know if you could find one, preferably in Europe. Thanks

Jerman
2007-04-11, 03:35
No such cable exists. They are so different, I do not think such an interface is possible. Out of curiosity, what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Sketch
2007-04-11, 03:51
Out of curiosity, what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Well I got this Trekstor Datastation Pocket HDD (http://www.trekstor.de/en/products/detail_hdd.php?pid=4&cat=0) as a gift. Problem is that it has a USB 2.0 Y-connection cable, which I have to plug both in it to work properly (mentioned in the manual, in order to ensure enough electricity is receiving to the HDD). I have a MBP, where the USB ports are faaaar apart from each other so I can't plug both. So, I was actually wondering having a mini USB 2.0 to firewire 400 cable might overcome this problem. Was my thought right?

digitalprimate
2007-04-11, 04:16
How about using:
A USB-hub where there are numerous ports (closely together) so you can plug in both USB-plugs.
Or getting an extension cable with a female usb on one side and a male usb plug on the other.
Or, just plug in the one cable, since it actually gives enough power to the pocket drive for most applications (except if you would want to capture video directly from a camcorder to that drive).

Sketch
2007-04-11, 04:39
First two options, well no thanks. I am actually doing the last one, and was wondering if such a (mini USB 2.0 to Firewire 400) cable existed it would be easier. Since the answer is no, I will continue using it with one cable. Thanks for the replies.

chucker
2007-04-11, 06:15
Problem is that it has a USB 2.0 Y-connection cable, which I have to plug both in it to work properly

Yeouch! That technique (using an additional USB port for one and the same device in order to supply sufficient power), while sadly rather common with low-cost drives these days, is non-standard and bound to cause havoc. As in, kernel panics.

My advice: if possible, return the gift and replace it with a proper enclosure, preferably with combo USB / FireWire ports. You could save yourself a lot of trouble.

Sketch
2007-04-11, 06:28
replace it with a proper enclosure, preferably with combo USB / FireWire ports. You could save yourself a lot of trouble.

Since I can't return the gift (don't have the reciept, and can't ask for it), would it be possible (more like wise) to just take the HDD out and replace it with a proper enclosure? if you check the gallery (http://www.trekstor.de/en/products/detail_hdd.php?pid=4&page=4), there is one USB 2.0 mini port. Can't I just then get a USB mini 2.0 to regular USB 2.0 cable and plug it in or this enclosure specifically made to power up with 2-Y connectors?

torifile
2007-04-11, 07:17
Since I can't return the gift (don't have the reciept, and can't ask for it), would it be possible (more like wise) to just take the HDD out and replace it with a proper enclosure? if you check the gallery (http://www.trekstor.de/en/products/detail_hdd.php?pid=4&page=4), there is one USB 2.0 mini port. Can't I just then get a USB mini 2.0 to regular USB 2.0 cable and plug it in or this enclosure specifically made to power up with 2-Y connectors?
Swapping out the drive into a better enclosure shouldn't be a problem. I'd bet it's just a standard 2.5" drive in the enclosure. Get an enclosure made for 2.5" drives from newegg or something and swap it out.

I have no idea what you're talking about with your "mini USB to regular USB" question.

Sketch
2007-04-11, 08:04
If I buy another enclosure with USB 2.0, what is the difference to the one that I already have? Because all the enclosures I have checked either have USB 2.0 and external power port or just USB 2.0 and 2-Y connector.

turtle
2007-04-11, 09:50
If I buy another enclosure with USB 2.0, what is the difference to the one that I already have? Because all the enclosures I have checked either have USB 2.0 and external power port or just USB 2.0 and 2-Y connector.

Without adding a power plug you're going to have a Y-USB cable. Some might give you a pass-through, but the HDD itself must draw more power than a single USB port can give. (500mA I think.)

Sketch
2007-04-11, 10:05
Darn, I always thought that 2.5" HDDs can be used without additional power. Thanks for the reply though

kretara
2007-04-11, 10:07
I would suggest getting something like this (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/ME25PALUFWOB/).

it has firewire 400 and usb 2. May be a little more expensive that what you can find at newegg, but it does have a dual interface.

Sketch
2007-04-11, 10:24
I would suggest getting something like this (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/ME25PALUFWOB/).

it has firewire 400 and usb 2. May be a little more expensive that what you can find at newegg, but it does have a dual interface.

The problem is not finding a dual interface case, but having to plug-in either external power supply or additional USB connection. Yeah I think I will go with a dual-interface case anyways as I prefer firewire connection than USB 2.0

turtle
2007-04-11, 10:28
You won't need another power source with FW either. It's your best option.

Ebby
2007-04-11, 14:06
I had a drive with a Y cable and hated it so I started using a normal cable. It worked. Just try it with a normal cable to see if your drive works too. If not, an error will be displayed or the drive won't mount.

But I never had a problem with power since the switch.

Sketch
2007-04-11, 15:28
I had a drive with a Y cable and hated it so I started using a normal cable. It worked. Just try it with a normal cable to see if your drive works too. If not, an error will be displayed or the drive won't mount.

But I never had a problem with power since the switch.

yeah at the moment I am using it with one cable, and it woks fine, just don't want to screw-up my computer as chucker mentioned

turbulentfurball
2007-04-11, 16:26
As in, kernel panics.

I can vouch for that.

Sketch
2007-04-11, 16:42
As in, kernal panics. I can vouch for that.

Well I don't use it often, so hopefully I won't get a kernal panic :rolleyes:

turbulentfurball
2007-04-11, 16:47
It would kernel panic if I woke my Mini with the drive attached on occasion. The times it didn't, finder would crash.