PDA

View Full Version : Best time to buy an 8core Mpro? (based on GFX card)

X_X
2007-05-06, 20:41
Hi all
I hope this is the right place to post this question.
I am planning on upgradding (well replacing) my current PC setup and am pretty interested in the 8 core Mac Pro.
The way i see it is it could be a great mac AND windows machine...therefore killing two birds with one stone :)
My only problem is that the Gfx cards available for macs atm are so ooooold :grumble:
I want this to be an investment that will last for some years to come and so i am not that sold on the idea of starting off with old gfx tech in it to start with, its just going to date that much faster.

However i hear that there are some new cards from ATI coming supposedly? the R600 or HD 2900 (something like that)
Any ideas when these cards are likely to be released?
Also what are the chances of the Mac Pro getting other ugrades due to these new cards?

If the cards are out within the next month i could wait, if they wont be out for another 3-4 months i dont think i could wait, but if there is likely to be more updates to the MacPro when they are released then i might be forced to :mad:

If i were to buy a MP now with an x1900 how hard would it be to upgrade to the newer cards when they come out?

so do i buy now, upgarde later.
or wait?

Windowsrookie
2007-05-06, 22:54
If I were to buy a MP now with an x1900, how hard would it be to upgrade to the newer cards when they come out?

So do I buy now, and upgrade later.
Or wait?

You can only upgrade to a card that Apple supports, finding new GPUs for sale is nearly impossible.

Do you really do anything that the current cards aren't fast enough for?

Mugge
2007-05-07, 09:46
I guess changing graphics cards are as easy as unplugging the old and plugging in the new.

Apple sells graphics cards from their online store, seems pricey, though:

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/dkstore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=AD2B2184&node=home/mac_accessories/displays

If you are worried about wasting a lot of money on a X1900 XT, you could settle with the stock GeForce 7300 now and upgrade later. But if you get the X1900 along with your Mac Pro it's circa half price of an upgrade kit.

Are you planning on using it for gaming?

dmegatool
2007-05-07, 10:02
I don't feel you will need to replace the x1900 XT soon. I mean... it's really powerfull for now. I can play games like Oblivion at 1680x 1050 and the game detected "ultra high" graphics settings. So I think the x1900 XT could fit your need for a good time.

When it comes to upgrade, I think you can just buy a upgrade kit from apple and you would be good to go.

rasmits
2007-05-07, 12:25
I have a semi-related question:

Do graphics cards still need to be changed specially for the Mac? I know they did in the PPC days, but I'd think the move to x86 would fix that. Or does EFI pose a problem?

Mugge
2007-05-07, 12:34
kraetos and chucker said in some other thread that it's not possible. Unfortunately I can't find it.

Something about EFI and BIOS.

You have to buy Mac cards.

rasmits
2007-05-07, 12:47
Ah, found it (http://forums.applenova.com/showpost.php?p=460548&postcount=24). Oh well!