PDA

View Full Version : Reputation?

_Ω_
2004-05-22, 09:59
WTF, mate!

What's up with this?

_Ω_
2004-05-22, 10:01
I have 10 reputation points at the moment!

I am being judged on every post I make?

Boy, am I f**ked!

:)

netromac
2004-05-22, 10:09
I have 10 reputation points at the moment!

I am being judged on every post I make?

Boy, am I f**ked!

:)Now you have 11 :D

_Ω_
2004-05-22, 10:13
I still have 10.

Must have pissed someone off somewhere!

:p

billybobsky
2004-05-22, 10:46
I don't know about you all, but I think this feature should be turned off...

Not that it really means anything but...

netromac
2004-05-22, 10:50
I don't know about you all, but I think this feature should be turned off...

Not that it really means anything but...You've got yourself a disapproval there mate :p

billybobsky
2004-05-22, 10:52
thanks...

i guess...

i would have responded in kind but alas this system is just silly...

Defiant
2004-05-22, 10:56
I guess it's ON to see how we'll handle it. If it comes to misuse, it's probably going to be OFF pretty fast.

_Ω_
2004-05-22, 11:03
Screw you all, I now have 11! :D

billybobsky
2004-05-22, 11:10
it seems we are all on the distinguished road...

whatever that means...

thegelding
2004-05-22, 11:18
new ai theme song? (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=346875&selectedItemId=346857)

g

psmith2.0
2004-05-22, 11:33
Was hoping for Joan Jett... ;)

_Ω_
2004-05-22, 11:41
Was hoping for Joan Jett... ;)

Mr Vieira, consider yourself blackballed! :D

alcimedes
2004-05-22, 12:24
let's just say we're experimenting with it.

if it sucks, we'll make it disappear.

SonOfSylvanus
2004-05-22, 12:44
I thought that button might be new... but then thought it probably wasn't... (no wonder I never found the TRC)

Brad
2004-05-22, 13:43
I guess it's ON to see how we'll handle it. If it comes to misuse, it's probably going to be OFF pretty fast.Ding!

What alcimedes said.

Basically, I'm just curious how members handle it since we never had anything like it over at the dotcom.

Windswept
2004-05-22, 13:59
I thought that button might be new... but then thought it probably wasn't... (no wonder I never found the TRC)
hahaha - you too? :( :mad: ;)

Defiant
2004-05-22, 19:55
hahaha - you too? :( :mad: ;)shut up :p ;)

stoo
2004-05-22, 20:32
Where do you find your reputation in these new fangled options ? :confused:

hyperb0le
2004-05-22, 20:54

Just click the http://forums.appleinsider.org/images/buttons/reputation.gif button on a post that you made. vB won't let you add to your own reputation, so it just shows you your reputation instead.

Brad
2004-05-23, 01:29
Just hit up the User Control Panel (which Jack inappropiately named "Preferences" :p).

http://forums.appleinsider.org/usercp.php

If you've received any hits, they'll be listed there.

SilentEchoes
2004-05-23, 01:57
Oh man, Another feature? What is my ADD to do.

Windswept
2004-05-23, 04:25
shut up :p ;)
You must like your woman tied to a chair, with duct tape covering her mouth.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Defiant
2004-05-23, 05:33
You must like your woman tied to a chair, with duct tape covering her mouth.

:mad: :mad: :mad:Hey. It had a ;) there.

Defiant
2004-05-23, 06:13
And that was why it was a Personal Message. :) (Which you should check again :))

Mac+
2004-05-23, 07:21
I've got 10 too? Do we all start with 10 or have I actually earned these 10 reputation points? And, if I earned these 10 points, how can I find out which posts I earned them for? :confused:

Defiant
2004-05-23, 07:28
You start out with ten reputation points.

If you get more (or less, i.e. bad reputations) you can see them in the User CP (or Preferences :p).

Defiant
2004-05-27, 08:56
Does anyone actually use it? I'm using it all the time, but so far I've not seen anyone else use it.

psmith2.0
2004-05-27, 08:59
Hmm, mine is -31. Interesting. :p

Windswept
2004-05-27, 09:00
Does anyone actually use it? I'm using it all the time, but so far I've not seen anyone else use it.
I'll probably never use it.

Windswept
2004-05-27, 09:04
Hmm, mine is -31. Interesting. :p
Minus 31, and you're still a 'decent individual' ? :eek: ;)

psmith2.0
2004-05-27, 09:11
Yeah, I'm not 100% sure I get it either. Oh well.

Somebody dinged me a point for mentioning Joan Jett. Huh?!?

:confused:

I'm sure I'm dead in the "woman with 15 kids" and "cold Latina" threads.

;)

Well, you know what they say about reputations.

Defiant
2004-05-27, 09:27
Ah well...You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to pscates2.0 again. Damn! ;) Can't spread good reputation...

Brad
2004-05-27, 09:32
Where did you see -31, scates? That's not the number I'm seeing from the admin panel.

Mac+
2004-05-27, 09:35
he may have been joking ... hence the smilie ;)

psmith2.0
2004-05-27, 09:39
I was just joking, being silly, Brad.

I can only imagine what must be showing up in the admin control panel...

thegelding
2004-05-27, 11:03
love me, hold me, accept me, stroke my little green reputation button

mmmm, some early thursday morning lovin

g

Chinney
2004-05-27, 12:08
I'll probably never use it.

Carol is a decent individual.

Wickers
2004-05-27, 14:35
I don't like it.

I feel that people will judge a post before fully understanding it. Petty bickering between two people can turn ugly if others wish to jump in.

If anything, the reputation should be addressed to a thread, and to threads only. The thread starter would have his/her reputation on the line, which could help with redundant threads.

Some people's english skills are not up to par (if it is not their first language) and that might cause others to misunderstand their posts. At least with a thread they have a chance to fully explain their position before anyone gets click happy.

groverat
2004-05-30, 23:41
Really bad idea from a community standpoint. Being a popularity whore comes naturally enough for most posters, there is no need to encourage the bland uniformity of a forum revolving around receiving hugs from fellow posters.

Costique
2004-05-31, 01:58
Really bad idea from a community standpoint. Being a popularity whore comes naturally enough for most posters, there is no need to encourage the bland uniformity of a forum revolving around receiving hugs from fellow posters.Agreed.

LoCash
2004-05-31, 06:07
I think in theory it's a bad idea. In practice... I hardly notice someone's reputation. It seems passive enough that it could work. I mean, if I'm reading a weird post from someone, I could see myself glancing at their reputation to see if maybe this is par for the course. It could be useful when we start seeing our influx of new members coming in.

I would recommend leaving it on until that happens to re-evaluate.

n2nrn
2004-05-31, 06:53
I wonder how long until someone tries to find out how many colors it will turn?
Uh, Brad how many colors does it turn?
n2nrn

Mac+
2004-05-31, 07:19
Yeah, what are the colour options exactly? To my mind every poster is a green block - am I missing something? Can you set up a dummy user (a'la 68K -remember him/her?) to highlight the differences perhaps?

dfiler
2004-05-31, 09:43
The tool tip for this feature is perhaps a bit misleading for some users.

"Add to someone's reputation" makes it sound like a button to click only when you want to favorably effect someone' reputation.

"Change someone's reputation..." maybe a better label.

"Change" instead of "Add" won't mistakenly imply that clicking will only increase someone's reputation. Also, the ellipsis (three periods) indicates that another window will be brought up prior to action being taken.

groverat
2004-05-31, 09:45
To see if it is par for the course? I do not see that as nearly useful enough to justify the karma whoring and clique-forming (which seems to actually be a goal here).

Just read every post and take it for its own weight, if someone is bad enough you will remember their name.

[edit]

I've been bumped a reputation point. :(
I want it back!
Brad is godlike and sexy! His poetry rocks!

n2nrn
2004-05-31, 11:14
I'm confused. It looks like I only have 2 rep points.
Did I start out with ten, feast on my foot too much, and lose them?
Or do we start out naked and clothe ourselves from there?
I wanna know.

Clarification please!

Thanks
n2nrn

AirSluf
2004-05-31, 11:20
XXXXX

thegelding
2004-05-31, 12:03
well, i may have found the only reason to keep the reputation...i didn't know all the things it could do....

people can make comments about each thread to you, sort of like PM but slightly different (ie, it doesn't pop up and need to be read, you can choice to read them or not, etc)

it can be quite cute....could reputation be used poorly?? sure, but only if you care a) about your reputation b) what others think of you c) if you put any real valve in reputation....

personally i don't care about my rep and put no valve in it and only sometimes care what others think of me....and i surely wouldn't change how i post because of it...so i think it might be ok, and it can disappear easily if people don't like it....

the comments made to me earlier in this post via reputation:

http://homepage.mac.com/gavinmcc/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2004-05-31%2010.05.47%20-0700/Image-E440CD7DB32411D8.jpg

g

Chinney
2004-05-31, 12:14
The reputation 'experiment' has been interesting, but I strongly recommend getting rid of it before it starts to cause trouble, either explicit trouble, or the more subtle problems identified by some of the posters up above. I request that the feature be turned off now, for the good of .org.

Brad
2004-05-31, 14:27
people can make comments about each thread to you, sort of like PM but slightly different (ie, it doesn't pop up and need to be read, you can choice to read them or not, etc)
Ah, this is a very good point and shows the best use of the reputation system.

As such, I'm going to make a few modifications to how it works. The "Add to reputation" button will be renamed "Comment privately on this post...". I'll also change the wording a bit on the little popup window. I'm also looking into a modification that requires you to enter comments so you can't just hit approve or disapprove. The little blips will be removed from showing in every single post, but they will be left in the user profile page. Users will also be given the option to totally disable public viewing of their reputation.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. :) Like alcimedes and I said on the other page, we're just testing this feature and seeing what everyone thinks about it. We're still open to any suggestions you have.

thuh Freak
2004-05-31, 15:09
Ah, this is a very good point and shows the best use of the reputation system.

As such, I'm going to make a few modifications to how it works. The "Add to reputation" button will be renamed "Comment privately on this post...". I'll also change the wording a bit on the little popup window. I'm also looking into a modification that requires you to enter comments so you can't just hit approve or disapprove. The little blips will be removed from showing in every single post, but they will be left in the user profile page. Users will also be given the option to totally disable public viewing of their reputation.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. :) Like alcimedes and I said on the other page, we're just testing this feature and seeing what everyone thinks about it. We're still open to any suggestions you have.
i was going to consider what you said, brad. but then i saw your only a decent individual, so i dismissed it entirely. can we turn on some kind of filtration device, so i won't be bothered by people who aren't up in the reputation game?

groverat
2004-05-31, 15:27
Seems to me that everything should be right in the forum. If someone has something to say about a post shouldn't that be a response in the thread? What is the point of a forum if not that?

Happy to be the first 0-pointer.

2004-05-31, 15:40
Seems to me that everything should be right in the forum. If someone has something to say about a post shouldn't that be a response in the thread? What is the point of a forum if not that?

Happy to be the first 0-pointer.I'm with grover on this one. I really don't see the need for a 'mini-PM'. Either post or PM is enough for me...fwiw.

Chinney
2004-05-31, 15:44
I agree entirely with groverat on this one – one of the few things that we have ever agreed on in any thread, over 'here' or over 'there'. ;) Even though I agreed with him, I did add to groverat’s dis-reputation for his last post – just for the sheer fun of it and because I thought he would enjoy it.

murbot
2004-05-31, 15:46
This would seem to fall into the Cool For A Few Weeks And Then Abandoned category.

Sort of like all the girls I, uh, made love to in college.

2004-05-31, 15:47
I did add to groverat’s dis-reputation for his last post – just for the sheer fun of it and because I thought he would enjoy it.:lol:! So did I! :D I told him I wanted to see the little button turn black like his soul. :)

groverat
2004-05-31, 15:56
The joke so nice you told it twice.

This is really stupid. :)

2004-05-31, 16:06
How do you tell who added to/subtracted from your reputation? Is it completely anonymous?

...and I've got to spread it around before I can give more of it?!? Kinky.

[edit:] While I'm at it, how does one get a Referral?

Wickers
2004-05-31, 17:11
...snip....
[edit:] While I'm at it, how does one get a Referral?

When someone signs up and enters your handel as the person who told you about the site you get a referal.

dfiler
2004-05-31, 17:33
All these stats, while neat, seem to take away from the primary purpose of the forums, discussion.

Internet based forums introduced an entirely new form of group interaction. The relative anonymity of posters and the ability to respond to others had interesting effects on the form and flow of discussions. Age, gender, race, and charisma were suddenly hidden and the merit of one's words became paramount.

This isn't to say that 100% anonymous forums are some panacea of communication. Every form of communication, face-to-face, telephone, email, IM, faxes and letters, has unique attractive qualities.

Do we really want every cyber-prestige monger trying to out reputation programmer?

If so... i nominate this post for a few reputation points and let the games begin. ;)

thegelding
2004-05-31, 17:42
murbot is likely right that this will fade...

and i really like the idea of the changes to it...perhaps even changing it's name...

my take on it is it like PM lite....it serves a purpose of when you see a post and want to say, "yeah" or "right" or "nice post" or "fight the good fight" or "carol, what are you wearing right now" (well maybe not the last one)

and, instead of (and i don't mean to pick on the child, he is a good kid) doing an EbOy and having half of your posts being one word, you don't clutter or bump the thread, you just click the button and say "nice" or "boo" or "remove those damn parasite images as i am about to throw up"

so it saves needless posts while still allowing you to make a comment to the poster without going into PM...many people don't like to go to a full PM for a variety of reasons...you might not know the poster well enough, you might not feel you have enough to say etc...

so make some changes, change the name to PM lite (better than BM lite, but that is another thread, or even PMS lite for our favorite female mod) and let us quietly forget all about it or use it...whatever

gotta fire up the grill

g

curiousuburb
2004-05-31, 21:02
If reputation were purely a merit system, where helpful links in GB got rewarded more than newbie hazing, where shared wisdom and insider info was valued higher than trolling, it might serve as a useful indicator of credibility.

(Pardon the .com references for those who don't recall the members). Dr. Holistic, Kormac, etc would ideally have a reputation which reflects their track record, potentially avoiding the troll reflex if folks can clue in with a click. By contrast, when workerbee says y is coming, people should call their dealer or broker.

x people found this reply helpful, or slashdot style filterable ratings might be an option.

Where it probably won't work is AO, at least in the asbestos-suit threads full of passionately partisan views. Evolution threads might be a useful test... regardless of your position, if you argue well, you ought to get positive reputation... if you dodge, you should get marked down.

Positive feedback that rewards intelligent debate would probably encourage more of the same if new members knew coming in that community credibility had a basis in reason and insight more than pure longevity or predilection for posts light on content.

It shouldn't be about popularity, though that may always be a factor.
I was going to suggest positive reputation might replace the LOL smiley, because if somebody's writing makes you laugh on an internet message board, they've passed a communication hurdle or two.

Rather than turn reputation into PM lite (use PM if you want that function, IMO), or turf baby and bathwater, maybe there's a flag to change the point value per forum or per thread. Perhaps, like post count, deleting locked threads might revert the reputation to its previous value. TRC posts didn't increment to the count (while it was listed).

I'm still experimenting with the reputation function... have only rated a few posts (preferring to count to ten or cut some slack rather than reflex rate), but the more I consider the complementary value of a credibility/reputation rating, the more I plan to use it to reward the open and honest, the good writers, the cogent thinkers who stimulate curiousity, and the legitimately oracular, among others.

n2nrn
2004-05-31, 23:38
At the risk of sounding like a moron ( a state I'm not unfamiliar with being a middle school teacher and parent), I'm still confused. Currently I have 1 point (2 yea, 1 nay). If I started out with 10 points, did I loose them and the occurrences scrolled off the top of the list? Or did I start with 0, and everything that happened is in front of me? It all happened in about two days, so I must have had some really bad virtual breath if I started with 10. I've looked around and read the thread three times and other than defiant saying we started with ten, I haven't seen an "official" explanation. I am open to the fact that I could be wandering around looking for my pencil while it's behind my ear. Been there. Done that.

One aspect of this I don't like is that the comments seem to be anonymous. I would like to know who sends them, so that I could respond if I feel the need. The positive or playful ones are cool, but the critical ones feel a little like crank phone calls, even when that was probably not the intention.

Since as has been stated many many times here, community is a place where open discussion between people with many viewpoints can occur, we should make this a place where it is easy to get to know the various characters involved, a daunting prospect for someone who is just getting their text wet. Having built in anonymous phone calls makes me feel uneasy.

All I really want is some thought provoking conversation, a chance to learn from the wide diversity of thought, experience, and expertise present here. Also occasionally I'd like to voice my opinion as well, and help others if I can. I've been turned on to some great music, most currently Gov't Mule, a fine bunch of old farts. Also I'm grateful for the opportunity to gain advice and insight into technology and its uses. Even though I've only been on either of these forums for a few months, I've gotten great advice (thanks gargoyle, dobby, brad, kickaha, eds66 and many others).

Nevertheless it is clear I'm not yet a local here. That's cool, where I live you have to be here three generations. It's all good. We have a good time watching and talking about our kids playing baseball, a wonderful common ground. I feel the same way in these forums, trying to find safe topics to break the ice with and avoid the cyclical arguments that I have read on some of these threads. Imho pretty much dogs trying to smell themselves.

So bring on the comments, criticism or the silence, whatever. My skin is pretty fireproof, I am a boarding middle school teacher after all.

jeff
n2nrn

LoCash
2004-06-01, 08:13
Ok, I'm still trying to figure out how this reputation thing works too. When people leave you notes, it isn't anonymous -- or rather, it doesn't have to be. Admins and Mods can always see who left notes, but currently it is set to not show for regular members. We could easily change this though, and I would be in favour of allowing names to be seen publicly if we actually chose to keep the reputation system.

thegelding
2004-06-01, 08:16
ohhh, then i would know who left the message, "i want to marry you"

or maybe i don't want to know

could be murbot...."shudder"

g

why don't we have a "shudder" smiley??

Chinney
2004-06-01, 08:41
At the risk of sounding like a moron ( a state I'm not unfamiliar with being a middle school teacher and parent), I'm still confused. Currently I have 1 point (2 yea, 1 nay).

[...]

So bring on the comments, criticism or the silence, whatever. My skin is pretty fireproof, I am a boarding middle school teacher after all.

jeff
n2nrn
Heck, I’ll give you a point for that long stroll through the nether reaches your mind. ;) Welcome here. :)

I am turning into a Reputation-point er..’professional’. I am putting out all over the place. However, in keeping with my lack of respect for the system, I should be doing this on a more random basis – spinning my big reputation wheel for each post, regardless of what I thought of it. So if any of you get a negative rating from me over the next little while, don’t take it personally – it just was not your lucky day with my big reputation wheel.

curiousuburb
2004-06-01, 12:37
So I received a positive reputation feedback comment for my post above, (previously had 10 points), and the popup reputation button in that post brings up a window which indicates the feedback... yet it says "your reputation on this post is even."

Am I missing some math function here?
If there were only one feedback point (only shows one), wouldn't the reputation on that post be positive? (even if I had negative reputation elsewhere [can't see any] which averages out my net total to stay at 10 pts, the individual total should show, shouldn't it?) :/ :\

Perhaps the assignment of 10 points is sticky and is overwriting subsequent reputation increments?

not sure if this is counts as a bugrep or just a sign of flags that may need resetting

YMMV

Windswept
2004-06-01, 12:55
Ok, I'm still trying to figure out how this reputation thing works too. When people leave you notes, it isn't anonymous -- or rather, it doesn't have to be. Admins and Mods can always see who left notes, but currently it is set to not show for regular members. We could easily change this though, and I would be in favour of allowing names to be seen publicly if we actually chose to keep the reputation system.
Oh. Since I can, I thought everyone could see who left them notes.

Welllllll....I think everyone should be able to see who leaves them notes and who alters their reputation points. Starting on a day to be announced.

I have to say that I was really annoyed at the person who downgraded me for being off-topic. (I *LOVE* being off-topic. Okay, so it's a personality flaw.) I don't use the rep. pts. myself; but if people want to use them, they should be willing to have their name listed as the up- or down-grader.

thegelding
2004-06-01, 13:07
you know what is funny...and maybe this explains a bit about myself...i never once thought of using the reputation button to downgrade anybody...just to give someone "props" and a "way to go" comment or two

if i don't like somebody's post i either ignore it (and i wish i was strong enough to do that more often than i do) or reply in the thread...taking away "reputation" for a post is silly...giving "reputation" is devine

g

curiousuburb
2004-06-01, 13:36
if i don't like somebody's post i either ignore it (and i wish i was strong enough to do that more often than i do) or reply in the thread...taking away "reputation" for a post is silly...giving "reputation" is devine

g

well there are some boards that call their version of it karma

thegelding
2004-06-01, 18:22
I am turning into a Reputation-point er..’professional’. I am putting out all over the place. However, in keeping with my lack of respect for the system, I should be doing this on a more random basis – spinning my big reputation wheel for each post, regardless of what I thought of it. So if any of you get a negative rating from me over the next little while, don’t take it personally – it just was not your lucky day with my big reputation wheel.

damn you and your big wheel

:D

oh well, i lose reputation from posting parasites oozing from leg sores...and now i lose reputation from a big canadian wheel spin

may you live in interesting times

g

ZO
2004-06-02, 04:33
stroke my green button? LOL...

I figure that if the "points" dont actually appear in the posts it should be ok... its fun to send a short message like this for the hell of it.

Nonetheless, it is a potential source of whoring for points...

Now can I have some points? :devil:

Chinney
2004-06-02, 08:31
damn you and your big wheel

:D

oh well, i lose reputation from posting parasites oozing from leg sores...and now i lose reputation from a big canadian wheel spin

may you live in interesting times

g

The big wheel doesn't like that post either ;), but the System won't let me rate you again.

_Ω_
2004-06-04, 05:19
So who here has been slamming Brad's reputation??

Mac+
2004-06-05, 11:23
Is this a rhetorical question? :confused:

_Ω_
2004-06-05, 19:22
He had 6 or 8 red squares that read something like Brad is off the chart.

He has since modified it back to normal.

"Move along, nothing to see here....." ;)

alcimedes
2004-06-06, 00:39
jack was busy one night....

_Ω_
2004-06-28, 06:56
Interesting.

You can now see who is using the system.

Can't remember who I slammed :\ (except pscates though he should have been able to work that one out!)

Who believes in karma??? :lol:

psgamer0921
2004-06-28, 15:39
I vote that we keep it.

(Can someone reputate me? I wanna see what it does ;) )

(What happened to the dots? Did they go away and die?)

Moogs
2004-06-30, 15:41
I think we ought to just bag the points-for-dots schema and simply request that however many dots we want under our name, we get. So for example a real Reputation Whore like Murbot could have 20 or 30 dots under his name (with the color of his choosing), while Groverat could have half a dot and so on.

PS - Murbot isn't really a Reputation Whore, but he is definitely a rat bastard.

psmith2.0
2004-07-02, 18:33
Interesting.

You can now see who is using the system.

Can't remember who I slammed :\ (except pscates though he should have been able to work that one out!)

Who believes in karma??? :lol:

I do, and yours is coming, slick. :) (honestly, I don't know - or remember you - so not sure of the slam and why I'd remember? Wait, are you "yeeesh" boy?)

:\

But on a serious, worthy note...are you able to tell who's dropping reputation bombs and leaving the cowardly, pithy remarks? Just seems like an easy way for some to pussy out, and perform anonymous drive-bys.

According to one of you twisted fruit loops, I'm a "sexy bytch" (sic). Nice.

_Ω_
2004-07-02, 19:10
I do, and yours is coming, slick. :) (honestly, I don't know - or remember you - so not sure of the slam and why I'd remember? Wait, are you "yeeesh" boy?)

Click on the preferences feature.

I notice I got a bad mark from you for "taking my name in vain" :lol: :lol:

I also notice that some of the comments have disappeared......

thegelding
2004-07-02, 20:24
yes, they only go back so far...at one point somebody told me that they wanted to marry me...but, sadly, i never found out who....sigh...though maybe it is better not to know...could be kickaha and his other brain is hung like a horse...and that scares me some

g

InactionMan
2004-07-04, 17:41

:\

But on a serious, worthy note...are you able to tell who's dropping reputation bombs and leaving the cowardly, pithy remarks? Just seems like an easy way for some to pussy out, and perform anonymous drive-bys.

According to one of you twisted fruit loops, I'm a "sexy bytch" (sic). Nice.
Come on. Give credit where credit is due. I'm "Yeesh Boy".

psmith2.0
2004-07-04, 18:06
Congrats, pirate. ;)

http://www.stuffucrave.com/image/chipsahoyclip.jpg

Share with teh fellaz

InactionMan
2004-07-04, 23:26
Arrrrrrrrr! Cookies are teh r0X0r5! (Did I spell 'roxors' right?? I never learnt leet) :confused: :\ :)

Powerdoc
2004-07-05, 00:39
Oh. Since I can, I thought everyone could see who left them notes.

Welllllll....I think everyone should be able to see who leaves them notes and who alters their reputation points. Starting on a day to be announced.

I agree with that. Perhaps it will be simplier to erase this feature. Reputation should not be a tool, for people loving to do anonymous attacks.

Mac+
2004-07-05, 00:54
Powerdoc I think this capability has finally been implemented - so you should be able to view who posted what with regard to your reputation points.

Powerdoc
2004-07-05, 14:50
Powerdoc I think this capability has finally been implemented - so you should be able to view who posted what with regard to your reputation points.

Thanks, but (luckily ?) it doesnt work.

crazychester
2004-07-05, 18:35
Keep trying Powerdoc. Didn't work for me for a few days either.

Luca
2004-07-06, 11:52
I think there's now a bug in the way reputation is sorted. If you go to the member list and choose to sort by reputation, it doesn't really put them in the right order. For example, I have a "Good Egg" reputation, which is slightly higher than "Decent Individual." But after the first nineteen in the list, arranged by reputation, it switches to sorting by username instead. So the list jumps around, and most people with Good Egg, Decent Individual and Pretty Average rankings are simply thrown into alphabetical order.

thegelding
2004-07-06, 12:00
yes, but how does one get two green balls like alcimedes??

i want two green balls

always have

g

Powerdoc
2004-07-06, 12:40
yes, but how does one get two green balls like alcimedes??

i want two green balls

always have

g

If I had two green balls, I will go to the urologist immediatly :p

LoCash
2004-07-06, 12:59
When you become a new member you start with a reputation power of 1. This means if you give someone positive reputation, you increase their reputation score by one point. Mods and admins begin with 10 points of reputation power, so they would increase someone's reputation score by ten.

Your reputation power does increase over time. The longer you have been a member will net you more power, as will the more posts you have. Once your reputation score passes certain marks (I think it is every 20 points or 50 points) you gain more reputation power. Hope that helps :)

Luca
2004-07-06, 13:03
Still doesn't explain the messed up sorting method. I should be near the top either way since my reputation is slightly higher than normal, and my power to give reputation is also higher.

LoCash
2004-07-06, 13:14
Still doesn't explain the messed up sorting method. I should be near the top either way since my reputation is slightly higher than normal, and my power to give reputation is also higher.
It's probably a bug :)

2004-07-06, 13:14
When you become a new member you start with a reputation power of 1. This means if you give someone positive reputation, you increase their reputation score by one point. Mods and admins begin with 10 points of reputation power, so they would increase someone's reputation score by ten.

Your reputation power does increase over time. The longer you have been a member will net you more power, as will the more posts you have. Once your reputation score passes certain marks (I think it is every 20 points or 50 points) you gain more reputation power. Hope that helps :)Why do I suddenly have the urge to start calling LoCash our Dungeon Master?

alcimedes
2004-07-06, 14:15
green balls. ouch.

Moogs
2004-09-05, 11:11
What's with the removal of the anonymous aspect of this feature? I can now see who gave me all my points. I kind of liked the anonymous way.

Which leads me to another thing: can we protest a negative feedback dot? :D The very first one I got was negative, apparently because I offered a constructive criticism of the Finder (my post was very tame and the respondant left no message as to why they didn't like it)... no idea who the person was or where they went. In fact, I haven't seen a post from them anywhere on this board in recent months. Hit and run, hit and run! :D

Here is the post I got negative feedback for:
Apple has to figure out a way to improve the Column View's utility. Power-users can figure it out pretty well and be happy with it most times, and the new icon bar in Panther helps... but a lot of people look at CV and kind of shirk away from it because of how the columns scroll and are resized and all the rest.

And the fact that the Finder still has no real predictability when opening new windows after certain events (prior to closing the last window), doesn't help. I hope 10.4 is a major spit-and-polish release because feature-wise Panther is pretty slick really.

Pretty lame for someone to ding another member for something like that.

That's not to say I really care about how many points I have (I don't, and probably won't get that many because I tend to be opionated), but it's a good example case for others who might have a few negatives unfairly plopped on their scorecard. Especially if they were given to them early on by some rogue weenie from the other board.

DMBand0026
2004-09-05, 13:16
Haha, I hadn't checked my reputation in a long time and I just did inspired by Moogs' post. I got knocked for calling a troll a troll, by the troll. :lol:

Lucky for me his reputation was already negative, so it didn't affect mine. I just thought it was funny.

LoCash
2004-09-05, 16:09
Well, that's the thing about the reputation system... it's open and people can knock you for being opinionated. It's reputation based on your peers, and mods/admins aren't going to get dragged in to contest anything but major abuses of the system; that would be us playing Judges, and we're not going to :)

I got a negative reputation point for keenly pointing out who the mole at .com was, but it's not a big deal really :)

Powerdoc
2004-09-06, 08:50
Finally I discoverd who gave me the negative point. I don't even know who he is. Perhaps he thinked I was the mole. Who knows ?

I am happy to be Powerdoc the white :D

thegelding
2004-09-06, 10:03
all my negative points were well earned...trust me

g

Moogs
2004-09-06, 11:01
Yah that's what I mean; you probably got zinged for some hard-line position on something important (IOW the people with the opposing hard-line view zinged you). But the Finder?? :) Common. Makes me want to get a revenge zing in and just go give the dorkus some negative points.

Anyway, i think perhaps we could do away with reputation all together. Not sure what purpose it is serving at this time.

Maciej
2004-09-06, 11:53
Reputation is a headache. Because it is being abused. It's not serving the purpose of making people aware of those who actually flame members, rather it is being used to bash people who have opposing views. Sry if this was covered already, I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Powerdoc
2004-09-06, 12:45
Thegelding , I tried to give you a reputation point, and I have this VB answer : You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to thegelding again. :lol:

Moogs
2004-09-06, 16:04
Yah I get that a fair amount too. Evidently you have to give to a certain number of people before you can give props to the same person. Whatever the rule, it's definitely not time-based because I usually go a two or three weeks at least between clicking the rep button.

curiousuburb
2004-09-06, 16:22
< * spreads some lovin' * > :devil:

LoCash
2004-09-06, 16:23
Unless you people cheer up I'm spreading around some -10 admin rep points here ;)

curiousuburb
2004-09-06, 16:26
How about a tooltip for the Reputation icon that says "stroke me"?

Moogs
2004-09-06, 17:01
:lol:

murbot
2004-09-06, 18:33
Finally I discoverd who gave me the negative point. I don't even know who he is. Perhaps he thinked I was the mole. Who knows ?

He thought you were ShawnJ? That's not the kind of insult that should go unpunished!

:lol:

Chinney
2004-09-06, 22:57
all my negative points were well earned...trust me

g

You are forgetting my big wheel! ;)

Actually, the big wheel was more of a threat than action. I did have something rigged up for a few ratings though. I thought that I did hit you with it g. Maybe I should get it out again.

My other suggestion was the Great Reputation Death Spiral, but nobody took me up on that.

sunrain
2004-09-06, 23:34
So, does reputation actually do anything for you on the site? It's not like everything is modded like on slashdot. Do I get free ice cream if I have enough reputation points?

NosferaDrew
2004-09-06, 23:50
Reputation is useless, just like post count.

If people want to prop me for a post, they'll just say "hey, thanks for the help/link/insight" etc. - that's all you should need.

If people want to hate on a post of mine they can either post a reply (suggested for a constructive conversation) or leave negative reputation which is kind of cowardly IMO.

curiousuburb
2004-09-07, 00:03
Reputation not publicly linked to the post might be considered another level of meta-information.

sunrain
2004-09-07, 00:10
So that's a 'no' on the free ice cream then?

;)

LoCash
2004-09-07, 01:22
Reputation is totally worthless and is just something we turned on because vBulletin has it as a feature. It actually does kind of work. Like, and I hate to rag on him because he means good and I really don't have anything personally against him, but with Messiahtosh is reputation is in the negative I believe. That's because people haven't much been liking his posts and threads. So if you're new to the site, and you want to know what people think of a particular member, you can check it out.

I think reputation is successful in that passive sort of way. That is specifically why we have made it such a passive feature on this site.

Chinney
2004-09-07, 01:28
Reputation is useless, just like post count.

If people want to prop me for a post, they'll just say "hey, thanks for the help/link/insight" etc. - that's all you should need.

If people want to hate on a post of mine they can either post a reply (suggested for a constructive conversation) or leave negative reputation which is kind of cowardly IMO.

I'll give you a positive rep point for that, just to piss you off. ;)

NosferaDrew
2004-09-07, 01:50
I'll give you a positive rep point for that, just to piss you off. ;)
What? Positive?
You'll be the first. :)

Paul
2005-02-23, 21:32
Would it be possible to view a record of the reputation points you GAVE out?

I forget specifics like that very easily, and it would amuse me to no end to be able to go and see some of my old comments to other users...

Brad
2005-02-23, 21:38
As it is now, no, you can't access that information outside the admin panel.

Paul
2005-02-23, 21:44
As in the information IS there and wouldn't require a "hack" to compile it?
Cool. (Although I realize that doesn't mean that it is easily implemented.)

johnq
2005-02-23, 21:53
Wrong thread perhaps but: I think it'd be nice if the "Welcome, <user>." on each page was instead Welcome, <user> (http://forums.applenova.com/member.php?userid=61). Well, with the proper username, not Brad's, of course. :)

I just sometimes would like seeing my public profile (as others see it) without needing to find one of my latest posts to do so.

InactionMan
2005-02-23, 23:35
You can just click on your name in the Current Active Users panel (unless you browse AN in stealth ninja mode).

Paul
2005-02-24, 00:09
or make a bookmark... but it would be a nice feature...

LoCash
2005-02-24, 09:24
It's something we'll roll into the next template push. Good suggestion.

Brad
2005-02-24, 10:43
Someone remind me about this on Friday and I'll put in some code.

scratt
2005-02-24, 11:07
I just went and had a look and it is absolutely worth it just for the entertainment value... I was pleasently suprised to not have such a lot of red balls!!

And I even had more green than Red, so that was really pleasing too..

The best bit was a whole load of white ones from T&A with lots of really obscene comments next to them... But I guess white means they don't have any affect... :lol: :)

curiousuburb
2005-02-24, 13:31
I just went and had a look and it is absolutely worth it just for the entertainment value... I was pleasently suprised to not have such a lot of red balls!!

And I even had more green than Red, so that was really pleasing too..

The best bit was a whole load of white ones from T&A with lots of really obscene comments next to them... But I guess white means they don't have any affect... :lol: :)
Xmas leftovers?

They do seem like Power-Ups... green for boost, red for slow, grey still too raw?

I'm just finishing Emergence by Steven Johnson, including his long discussions on Malda's Karma system and 'jury duty' moderation metaphors at the early Slashdot as an example of feedback mechanisms in an emergent system. Interesting to see reputation in that light.

torifile
2005-02-24, 19:26
Woo hoo! I'm the 12th most respected member here! ;) How'd that happen?

And murbot is a "role model for all" :err: :lol:

murbot
2005-02-25, 17:06

An obviously flawed system.

:p

curiousuburb
2005-02-25, 17:16

A little more rep and maybe he'll be a "supermodel for all" ;)

ohara
2005-02-26, 17:57
only the woman who used to dress up in the superhero outfit on that TV tabloid show has the authority to say which model deserves the prefix of super!

still, murbot's probably a stud

WTF, Brad, I have yet another red mark yet no one has rated me in a couple weeks...

curiousuburb
2005-02-26, 19:00

Your reputation power does increase over time. The longer you have been a member will net you more power, as will the more posts you have. Once your reputation score passes certain marks (I think it is every 20 points or 50 points) you gain more reputation power. Hope that helps :)
So... is reputation retroactive in a fully dynamic way?

Do rep points accumulate 'value' (from grey to green) as those members reach said milestones?
Or are points 'fixed' at the time they are given irrespective of any subsequent change in member status?

Just finished Emergence... highly recommended.

I'm curious how vB handles feedback metaphors as emergent systems. If it does at all.

torifile
2005-03-19, 00:11
Carol is loved by all!!

But what about the rest of us shlubs? ;) Who's f'ing with the rep section?

alcimedes
2005-03-19, 00:30
the dots broke when the Vb template was updated. it may or may not be added back in. we're aware of it though. :)

oh, wait that's torifile asking. in that case, the dots are still there. don't you see them?

torifile
2005-03-19, 00:56
the dots broke when the Vb template was updated. it may or may not be added back in. we're aware of it though. :)

oh, wait that's torifile asking. in that case, the dots are still there. don't you see them?
:lol: I'm not falling for it THIS time, bitch. ;)