PDA

View Full Version : Stolen iPod - Buy Replacement or Wait

Kusakun
2007-05-09, 21:34
Hi there people. Somebody stole my iPod Video 80 gb in the University Today. :no:

Im really pissed off :mad:

but...

The question is... Should I buy another one now or should I wait a month or two and buy a new model. -I dont know if theres another one expected soon-

Thanks a lot...

Diego

Ps. Sorry Moderator. I think I posted this in the wrong part of the forums

Brad
2007-05-09, 21:51
Ps. Sorry Moderator. I think I posted this in the wrong part of the forums
No problemo. :) I've moved it.

Kusakun
2007-05-10, 06:29
Anyone?

torifile
2007-05-10, 06:37
I'd wait since it doesn't sound like you're in a rush to get a new one. A month from now, we'll have the iPhone so there's a high likelihood that the next iPod will follow shortly afterwards.

Wyatt
2007-05-10, 06:38
Diego, I'd go ahead and buy a new one. We probably won't see a new full-size iPod until October. Apple typically updates the iPod line once a year, and they seem to have marked October as the update month.

I would especially expect this to hold true this year. Any new features the iPod gets will likely be carryovers from the iPhone. Apple won't want to risk losing iPhone sales at launch because they've released a new regular iPod with most of the same features and more storage.

In short, you should go for it now. There's no reason to hold out.

Btw, there's also no reason to get your panties all up in a bunch because nobody replied to your thread in the first 9 hours. You posted this thread at 10 PM in the US, so the majority of our members wouldn't have even seen it yet. This isn't a real-time chat, and sometimes it takes a few hours to get a reply. You should wait at least a day before posting a comment like your most recent post.

joveblue
2007-05-10, 07:00
Buy

Kusakun
2007-05-10, 12:13
hehehe. Sorry guys :lol:

The thing is that im still nervous because my "former" iPod. :no:

So I´ll buy a new one soon.

Thanks!

Yontsey
2007-05-10, 12:17
If it was me, I would wait at least until WWDC just to see what's just just incase. It's not like it's that far away and you never know. Unless youre dying for a new iPod, Id wait.

psmith2.0
2007-05-10, 14:02
What if you bought something like a $79 shuffle (or even cheaper, going refurb) just to have something to hold a few hundred of your favorite songs (my shuffle has 276 songs, at 925MB and 14.8 hours of music...plenty for a day or two of listening) and see what comes of the sixth-generation iPod that is sure to make an appearance in the second half of 2007?

It's what I'd do if I found myself in your exact position. I'd want something to enjoy my music on, but I'd shoot low/cheap and think of it as a "holding pattern" purchase, to get you over the immediate hump.

I'm not sure I'd put the money into a current full-size iPod, knowing that all this touch screen/widescreen, possibly WiFi-equipped 6G model is on the horizon (autumn '07?).

Yontsey
2007-05-10, 14:08
What if you bought something like a $79 shuffle (or even cheaper, going refurb) just to have something to hold a few hundred of your favorite songs (my shuffle has 276 songs, at 925MB and 14.8 hours of music...plenty for a day or two of listening) and see what comes of the sixth-generation iPod that is sure to make an appearance in the second half of 2007?

It's what I'd do if I found myself in your exact position. I'd want something to enjoy my music on, but I'd shoot low/cheap and think of it as a "holding pattern" purchase, to get you over the immediate hump.

I'm not sure I'd put the money into a current full-size iPod, knowing that all this touch screen/widescreen, possibly WiFi-equipped 6G model is on the horizon (autumn '07?).

I was actually gonna mention this as well. I was over at the MacNN marketplace and I saw a brand new 2G silver shuffle and it was only $55. Helluva deal. I almost bought it on an impulse but I have absolutely no use for it.

zippy
2007-05-10, 14:50

You can always rely on pscates' old fashioned common sense.

Robo
2007-05-10, 16:35
Ehh - my personal opinion is that the iPod update we see this year won't be very significant, so I think you're safe buying one now - unless you want a Beatles or Harry Potter special edition iPod, in which case you should wait a few weeks.

psmith2.0
2007-05-10, 17:31
Robo, are you hearing from actual (good) sources about these Beatle and Potter iPods "in a few weeks", or are you just pulling this stuff out of thin air (based solely one what you'd like to see?).

Because I've not heard a single credible rumor about such things. Yet you say it with such casual, "it's coming" certainty that I have to wonder...

:confused:

Robo
2007-05-10, 19:24
Robo, are you hearing from actual (good) sources about these Beatle and Potter iPods "in a few weeks", or are you just pulling this stuff out of thin air (based solely one what you'd like to see?).

Because I've not heard a single credible rumor about such things. Yet you say it with such casual, "it's coming" certainty that I have to wonder...

:confused:

Apple said the EMI DRM-free songs will be released this month. Considering that Steve Jobs played Sgt. Pepper's on his iPhone in January, and that Apple Corps. and Apple Inc. have settled their trademark feud, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that Beatles songs will be among them. Years-old rumors aside, there isn't any direct evidence of a Beatles iPod (besides the fact that it would totally make sense ;)), but if I was a big Beatles fan I would wait until the Beatles (or, conversely, EMI's songs without Beatles) hit iTunes just to be sure one way or the other.

There was a Harry Potter iPod for the last book release, and it seems that Apple considered it a success, as they revised it upon the 5G iPod's release (as opposed to quietly discontinuing it when the 5G iPod came out). That's obviously not a guarantee that we'll see one for the new book release, but I'd definitely say it was possible.

That's basically my line of thinking. I didn't mean to make it seem like I had "sources" or anything like that. What I was trying to say was that I think he should buy the iPod now, unless he would be interested in the theoretical Beatles or Harry Potter iPod, in which case it might be prudent to wait a few weeks (because I believe either is a logical possibility).

Sorry if I confused or misled anyone. :(

psmith2.0
2007-05-10, 19:36
Ah, I see. Yeah, I guess it's a 50/50 possibility, considering those factors and history...

zippy
2007-05-10, 21:58
Ehh - my personal opinion is that the iPod update we see this year won't be very significant, so I think you're safe buying one now - unless you want a Beatles or Harry Potter special edition iPod, in which case you should wait a few weeks.

I really don't think Apple will wait until next year to finally debut the touch-screen, widescreen iPod. They have obviously mastered the design and tech issues, so speculation on whether they will make one seems a no brainer at this point.

Sure, they may wait a few months to not cannibalize on sales of the iPhone, but I'd bet real money that it will be out in time for the holiday shopping season.

Robo
2007-05-11, 01:18
I really don't think Apple will wait until next year to finally debut the touch-screen, widescreen iPod. They have obviously mastered the design and tech issues, so speculation on whether they will make one seems a no brainer at this point.

Sure, they may wait a few months to not cannibalize on sales of the iPhone, but I'd bet real money that it will be out in time for the holiday shopping season.

So the 6G iPod can steal the iPhone's first holiday season? I don't think so.

If the iPod gains a touchscreen (and that's a big if), it won't be until at least MWSF. And I'm not convinced the iPod will gain a touchscreen at all.

But we've already went over this all in the Speculation & Rumors forum, which is really a more appropriate place for this banter. Even if Apple redesigned the iPod this year, the general consensus is that it wouldn't be until at least October, meaning that the OP is probably fine buying an iPod now, and that is all that needs to be said. ;)

digitalprimate
2007-05-11, 13:13
Don't know if you have a credit card, but if you buy a new one, pay for it with a credit card, because that way it might be covered for theft (at least, mine does cover theft).

Kusakun
2007-05-13, 10:06
No. My credit card does not support that kind of things. Anyway thaks for your answer :)

Kusakun
2007-05-17, 14:50
I´ve decided to wait and buy the new one

Yontsey
2007-05-17, 15:00
I´ve decided to wait and buy the new one

Good move. Pick yourself up a shuffle in the mean time...;)