PDA

View Full Version : install tiger??

bruce
2007-05-24, 09:23
My wife has an iBook, G4 with 256 MB of memory and
the pre-tiger operating system. Her main use is
internet, email, some letter writing. I also occasionally
use TeXShop on her machine, when we are traveling with one machine.
(My machine has tiger and TexShop.)

I am thinking of buying and installing tiger on her machine.
Will this be a problem? Is there adequate memory?
Will I have to re-install TexShop?

turtle
2007-05-24, 09:32
You'll really want more memory than that. I have a couple of G3 iBooks that run Tiger but they have 320MB or RAM each. It's slow. If you've gotten away with not havning Tiger in the machine you might want to just skip the upgrade. Is there a particular reason you want to upgrade? A certain feature you are looking for?

chucker
2007-05-24, 09:33
Tiger will be a lot faster with 512 or more MBs of RAM. RAM is dirt cheap these days, so the productivity gained by more RAM will easily pay for the price of RAM.

bruce
2007-05-24, 09:50
Is there a particular reason you want to upgrade? A certain feature you are looking for?

I believe that certain travel website she looks at requires tiger to purchase tickets I will consider buying some more RAM. I presume it is not difficult to install the RAM.

PB PM
2007-05-24, 11:44
Installing RAM in iBooks is easy. In fact there are installation instructions right under the keyboard.

kscherer
2007-05-24, 11:58
I believe that certain travel website she looks at requires tiger to purchase tickets I will consider buying some more RAM. I presume it is not difficult to install the RAM.

Go with the maximum you can install. It will take a 1GB card. That would give you 1+ GBs.

kieran
2007-05-24, 12:39
I installed a 512mb card in the iBook for a total of 768mb.

It runs a lot better than the stock 256, but I could stand to swap it out for a 1GB. I'm not too worried about it thoug, my new MBP will be here in October. :)

Installing the RAM is easy as hell. It took me about five mins.

turtle
2007-05-24, 17:14

Yea, RAM is a snap to put in. If it's only for web site/s, what about Firefox for those few sites.

If it were me, I'd put more RAM in and upgrade to Tiger. I just want to make sure you knew there is a free option for your need.

rasmits
2007-05-24, 17:26
How could a website require Tiger?

If it needs a newer browser, try Firefox or something. You don't need to buy RAM and upgrade the OS just for the newest version of Safari.

Boomerangmacuser
2007-05-25, 17:05
I agree with Rasmits. Get yerself some RAM and Firefox. There are some sites that Safari just doesn't render well.

I have a 1Ghz iBook and I dropped a 1 Gb stick into it for a total of 1.128 Gb. It bought me a couple more years of usability.

bruce
2007-05-25, 20:01
How could a website require Tiger?

The website in question is kayak. It collects information on cheap airline tickets.
I have placed an order for tiger, and will buy some more memory if it turns out
to be necessary.

chucker
2007-05-25, 20:08
The website in question is kayak. It collects information on cheap airline tickets.

Firefox or Camino would do.

I have placed an order for tiger, and will buy some more memory if it turns out
to be necessary.

Enjoy. The memory won't be necessary per se, but you won't regret the massive performance boost.