PDA

View Full Version : Screen space decision: Help in choosing a system

Sketch
2007-05-27, 13:41
Hello people,

How's life? Enjoying the summer? Great!

I need some help in deciding a system that is best suited for my line of work. I am a research student in Molecular Biology and Biotechnolgy. I currently own a 15.4" MBP but the screen space is simply not enough. I run about 5 programs simultaneously, namely VectorNTI (through parallels), Safari (surfing), SciFinder Scholar (search scientific papers), Adobe Illustrator (drawing and editing stuff) and Word or Powerpoint. I have to switch between these programs most of the time and it is sometimes really irritating. It would be great to see the windows of each program seperately without overlapping with each other. I was first considering to buy a 24" Monitor and to use it together with my MBP. But that would be even more annoying since I have to move the mouse from one monitor to the other and they are being 2 different resolutions and that I will have to type using the MBP keyboard while using the big monitor. I simply don't want to have an external keyboard attached to my MBP, because there will be toooooo much of wires everywhere and I just want a system that I could use simply.

So I came up with the following systems:

1. Keep the MBP and buy a mac mini with 22"-24" dell Monitor (ACDs are too expensive comparing to dell)

2. Keep the MBP and buy a 24" iMac

3. Sell the MBP and buy 2 mac minis with 2 x 22" dell Monitors

My budget is limited and I can afford to purchase above mentioned combinations. All I want is more screen space. I have no idea which one to go with. If you have other suggestions please let me know. I would highly appreciate it. Thanks!

torifile
2007-05-27, 14:15
I think you'll find that having 2 computers is more annoying than having to deal with different screen resolutions and moving a mouse between two displays.

Besides, the MBP can power an external display with resolution as high as those computers you mentioned, so what you've got is better than any of your proposed solutions. If the 2 displays thing bothers you that much just use clamshell mode on the MBP.

adamb
2007-05-27, 14:58
I agree with torifile. It's much more annoying to have switch between different keyboard and mouse for each computer, rather than just looking at another screen when you move the cursor onto it. When I'm using Photoshop or Illustrator a lot I use my iBooks monitor for palettes and the connected display for the canvas and its great. I'm not sure what the arguement against using the MBP keyboard whilst looking at the external monitor is either. All you are doing is looking slightly to either side whilst typing.

There's no choice to be made in my opinion. If you are still unsure, it looks like your going to buy a monitor whatever happens, so buy one and run it connected to the MBP for a while. Then make your decision as to whether you need another computer.

PB PM
2007-05-27, 15:10
Not only that, its not too hard to hook up an external keyboard and mouse either. When I'm not at school I use my MBP hooked up to an external monitor most of the time. I don't really need two screens so I use clamshell mode.

Ryan
2007-05-27, 15:58
I run my PowerBook like this, with a 17" LCD, and I couldn't imagine doing anything else.

torifile
2007-05-27, 16:03
If the wires are a stumbling block, get a bluetooth kb/mouse.

Fahrenheit
2007-05-27, 16:16
If you decide to go down the 2 mac route, you could use Synergy to control both Macs with one keyboard and mouse. :) Personally I would go with the external screen and the MBP.

Windowsrookie
2007-05-27, 16:44
External screen for the MBP. Two computers are too much of a pain.

Koodari
2007-05-27, 16:47
Your laptop + external screen, period.

I'm sitting here with a Macbook in clamshell mode and 24" screen. I feel there's no point in using the laptop's screen while you have another, massively bigger display available. But if after putting together this setup you feel that you could use even more space, you can set up a "holder" to keep the laptop on the right height and angle to be used together with the desktop display.

You can have keyboard and mouse permanently plugged into the display. Where you previously plugged in power cord and usb for the mouse, you'd now connect power, usb for the hub-in-display and mini-dvi for the graphics. That's one cord extra, so two seconds maybe? For extra neatness points, you can ziptie the USB and DVI together and attach them as well as the power cord to the desk nearby where you set down your laptop - so you never have to dig for the cords behind or under the desk. (But surely you have already done this last step to your power and mouse cords if you are concerned about wire neatness?)

Big external screen and laptop keyboard is a big no-no. I have tried it and quickly got a back- and neckache for my trouble.
Also, personally I'd rather save the laptop's expensive, hard to replace keyboard from wear and coffee accidents by using an external.

Sketch
2007-05-27, 17:26
I'm not sure what the arguement against using the MBP keyboard whilst looking at the external monitor is either. All you are doing is looking slightly to either side whilst typing.

There's no choice to be made in my opinion. If you are still unsure, it looks like your going to buy a monitor whatever happens, so buy one and run it connected to the MBP for a while. Then make your decision as to whether you need another computer.

I have tried using another monitor connected to my MBP and it was pain in the ass to type with the MBP keyboard while looking at the other monitor.

Your laptop + external screen, period.

I'm sitting here with a Macbook in clamshell mode and 24" screen. I feel there's no point in using the laptop's screen while you have another, massively bigger display available. But if after putting together this setup you feel that you could use even more space, you can set up a "holder" to keep the laptop on the right height and angle to be used together with the desktop display.

You can have keyboard and mouse permanently plugged into the display. Where you previously plugged in power cord and usb for the mouse, you'd now connect power, usb for the hub-in-display and mini-dvi for the graphics. That's one cord extra, so two seconds maybe? For extra neatness points, you can ziptie the USB and DVI together and attach them as well as the power cord to the desk nearby where you set down your laptop - so you never have to dig for the cords behind or under the desk. (But surely you have already done this last step to your power and mouse cords if you are concerned about wire neatness?)

Big external screen and laptop keyboard is a big no-no. I have tried it and quickly got a back- and neckache for my trouble.
Also, personally I'd rather save the laptop's expensive, hard to replace keyboard from wear and coffee accidents by using an external.

I agree with the big external screen and lap keyboard is pain. I guess then I can just go for a 30" Dell monitor and have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse as torifile suggested. So I guess this is the best choice right?

About the monitors, does anyone think that I should buy an ACD over a dell monitor? Also, as I can wait for couple of months before buying anything, do you think any changes are going to be made with the ACDs or doesn't make a difference? Let me know as I want to make sure whatever I get is worth for the money I spend. Thanks

PB PM
2007-05-27, 17:34
Until the ACDs get LED LCDs they wont be worth it (and who knows when that will be) go with the Dells.

Windowsrookie
2007-05-27, 19:04
Until the ACDs get LED LCDs they wont be worth it (and who knows when that will be) go with the Dells.

The 30" won't have LEDs anytime soon. Yes, Dells are cheaper, but Apple monitors are a higher quality display.

Partial
2007-05-27, 19:24
The 30" won't have LEDs anytime soon. Yes, Dells are cheaper, but Apple monitors are a higher quality display.

Aren't they the same panel?

PB PM
2007-05-27, 19:28
Last I heard they were, the other difference right now is that the Dells have more connection types and a cheaper looking bezel... so basically the Dells are a better buy.

Windowsrookie
2007-05-27, 19:49
I believe the Apple LCD has better colors. But I mainly meant it Aluminum casing on the Apple monitor is better than the Dells plastic.

Sketch
2007-05-28, 03:29
Well I should've formed my question better, ACD 30" is 400 bucks extra to dell 30". Spending extra 400 bucks is worth it? Last time I heard from the Genius Bar guy it wasn't. Then again, they don't know as much as you guys :D :p

PB PM
2007-05-28, 11:47
$400 does not make an Aluminum case (which might actually cost Apple $10 if that) worth while, just get the Dell, like I said before. Either that or look around, there are other brands as well.

Fahrenheit
2007-05-28, 12:13
But, but, the Apple display is so beautiful!

Sketch
2007-05-28, 18:57
But, but, the Apple display is so beautiful!

yeap it is true, but but beautiful won't be too good for my wallet.

Hologram
2007-06-01, 09:41
If all you want to do is switch between apps and only see the windows in the one you're working in, why not use a utility like MenuStrip:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/9406

It does a lot of things that I (and you) probably don't need, but the most useful, in my opinion, is it hides everything except the current application. I've been using it for years, and it hasn't been updated, but it works fine using 10.4.9 with PPC (don't know about Intel). There's probably something similar for Intel if you look around.

Sketch
2007-06-01, 10:40
If all you want to do is switch between apps and only see the windows in the one you're working in, why not use a utility like MenuStrip:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/9406

It does a lot of things that I (and you) probably don't need, but the most useful, in my opinion, is it hides everything except the current application. I've been using it for years, and it hasn't been updated, but it works fine using 10.4.9 with PPC (don't know about Intel). There's probably something similar for Intel if you look around.

I need to see all applications that I am running (in my case 5 programs that I use often). But thanks for the suggestion and welcome to AN!

Boomerangmacuser
2007-06-01, 16:17
15" mbp + 24" LCD + keyboard & mouse = Teh bomb!

I have the poor man's version of the above. 14" iBook and a 17" CRT. The book is tucked away in the corner so all I'm working with is the display, keyboard and mouse. Very clean IMO.

turtle
2007-06-01, 19:54
15" mbp + 24" LCD + keyboard & mouse = Teh bomb!

I have the poor man's version of the above. 14" iBook and a 17" CRT. The book is tucked away in the corner so all I'm working with is the display, keyboard and mouse. Very clean IMO.

Kinda the same here:
My wife's MB (when I can snatch it from her), Keyboard and Mouse, 22" CRT. I leave the menu on the MB and work off of the CRT.

Sketch
2007-06-02, 16:22
I leave the menu on the MB and work off of the CRT.

Is that convenient? don't you have to move your mouse to your MB monitor just to access the menu, I mean especially if you are using an application like Ps or Word or etc

torifile
2007-06-02, 16:24
Is that convenient? don't you have to move your mouse to your MB monitor just to access the menu, I mean especially if you are using an application like Ps or Word or etc
Don't you have most keyboard shortcuts memorized by now?

turtle
2007-06-02, 16:37
As Tori implied, I do a lot of keyboard shortcuts. There are times when I need to use the menu, but I have found it isn't much of an issue really. A lot of times when I'm working with Aperture love the layout. I have my image index on the MB and my working image on the CRT. This works great, for me.

However, I believe I can move the menu over to the CRT if I chose to. I'm not sure on that one though.

torifile
2007-06-02, 18:38
However, I believe I can move the menu over to the CRT if I chose to. I'm not sure on that one though.
You certainly can. All you need to do is open the display preferences on the main screen and click the "arrange" tab. Just move the menu bar from one of the screen images to the other.

Sketch
2007-06-03, 04:17
Don't you have most keyboard shortcuts memorized by now?

eh... Nope :no: well in word yeah, but not in Ps or Ai

turtle
2007-06-03, 12:27
I would take the time to learn most of those shortcuts. You'll find the time invested into learning them will outweigh that hassle.

Sketch
2007-06-06, 10:20
isn't this a sweet deal... damn this doesn't happen in EU :no:

refurb 30" ACD = 1499 (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nplm=F9179LL/A)

thefingerofgod
2007-06-09, 12:19
I just got a MacBook (or as I call it a BlackBook) and I want to do the external monitor and wireless option. What I would like to know is how do you folks situate your laptops? I would like to buy something that I could put mine on or in or on top of while I close the MacBook and use the external screen.

turtle
2007-06-09, 12:37
I use the Griffin Elevator (Formerly iCurve).

Ryan
2007-06-09, 14:26
^ Seconded.

doublem9876
2007-06-09, 14:47
Seems like maybe the new 17-inch MBP with the BTO Hi-Def screen might do what you want.

Sketch
2007-06-09, 15:21
Don't want to start another thread, so I will ask the question here. My brother wants a computer and he doesn't want to spend too much money as he is kind of broke. So he asked my MBP, and I would like to sell it for him for 1000 Eur. This includes MBP core-duo 1.83 Ghz + 2GB ram (I will up the ram) + CS3 (boxed) + Parallels 3 (boxed). Is this too much I am asking (am I being an ass?)

Assuming this is being fair price, I will go for new MBP 17" w/Hi-def screen = 2284 Eur. This way I would save more money and can use one system for all my needs. Thoughts? Good idea or bad idea?

edit: My MBP has 2 more years of insurance. This is not applecare, but something the store has offered me. It includes, theft insurance + accidental coverage + and normal repair. For theft and accidental covergae (if the damge is beyond repair) they will give a new MBP with original configuration for 1/4th of the price (roughly 550 Eur).