PDA

View Full Version : iSight (FW) Yes or No?

Brave Ulysses
2007-06-03, 15:39
My girlfriend has a Powerbook G4/667MHz VGA. She now lives a large distance away from me for the time being and I would like to purchase her a webcam for use with iChatAV. I had planned on getting her an iSight but they are discontinued and very expensive now.

I then saw that the latest OS X update allows for USB web cams.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/webcam_communications/webcams/devices/2988&cl=us,en

I was looking at getting that. It seems affordable, good, and small. It uses USB1 which is all the PowerBook has besides firewire but will the USB1 vs iSight FW actually result in worse quality?

I have just found an iSight on the used market for $125.

What do you think?

MBHockey
2007-06-03, 22:18
I can't vouch for the non-iSight cameras, but i picked up an iSight off ebay last week for my parents intel mac mini. It's really simple to set up, and the picture quality is great. We chatted over the internet (i have a BlackBook) and it was surprisingly good quality.

Unfortunately, i paid $180 for the iSight...but i figure i can afford it now that i got my first job out of college.

sirnick4
2007-06-04, 00:29
I know of a friend who has a USB cam through Logitech (I'm not sure of the model) and the quality is okay. The iSight is definitely better quality but if you're worried about money, then the USB cam should suit your needs.

Banana
2007-06-04, 00:46
Having used various webcams for videoconferencing, I'd say iSight is great when you want to do some heavy lifting. However, other webcams deliver just fine for the videoconferencing purposes.