PDA

View Full Version : School decision - Leopard

mlipkin
2007-06-07, 07:20
So I'm going off to school in the fall and want to buy myself a new Macbook. Nowish seemed liked a great time to buy because until September something Apple will give me $200 towards an iPod, which is awesome. But Leopard is supposed to come out in October, no? And from what I understand, even if I bought my computer just a month before the release I would have to pay for the OS in full. Is it worth it to wait and forfeit the $200, but essentially get Leopard for free, or is Leopard not even worth buying when it comes out (not that it's bad, but that the current one is good enough)?

Thanks -

torifile
2007-06-07, 07:23
Leopard will be $69 or less for you (edu discount). You do the math.

Wyatt
2007-06-07, 07:27
Right now we don't really know enough about Leopard to know if it's a big upgrade for everybody. At the moment, I think it's really only a big upgrade for software developers, and other people should upgrade when their applications start requiring it.

However, we're going to see the final feature list for Leopard for the first time, and we might learn something new that makes you want it.

The important thing to wait for on Leopard is really the price. We don't know how much Leopard is going to be, but if iLife is included (as many, like myself, think it will be), the price will probably go up. Even still, the education price should be less than the $199 you'll get back on the iPod rebate.

Personally, I think you should buy the MacBook now, just because you'll get a better deal overall, even if you do buy Leopard. If you wait until October, you'll get Leopard free (and an iPod would cost you $199), but if you buy now you'll get an iPod for free (and Leopard would likely cost you less than $199).

Really, though, wait until after Monday to see what Leopard has to offer. You might discover you want Leopard enough to give up the iPod (but I doubt it).

Leopard will be $69 or less for you (edu discount). You do the math.
That's how much Tiger is for students, but I really don't see Leopard being the same price as Tiger. I think Leopard will probably be around $99 for students, though (and around $179 retail).

torifile
2007-06-07, 07:31
That's how much Tiger is for students, but I really don't see Leopard being the same price as Tiger. I think Leopard will probably be around $99 for students, though (and around $179 retail).
Every single version of OS X* has been $69 for students/faculty. I don't see it changing this time around. Since they haven't announced pricing, I could be wrong but I doubt it. :p

* for the pedants out there, I know there was a free/nearly free upgrade to 10.1

Wyatt
2007-06-07, 07:35
Every single version of OS X* has been $69 for students/faculty. I don't see it changing this time around. Since they haven't announced pricing, I could be wrong but I doubt it. :p

* for the pedants out there, I know there was a free/nearly free upgrade to 10.1
Either way, we'll find out Monday.

I'm basing my theory entirely on my idea that iLife will be included, though. If iLife isn't included, I don't think the price will go up either.

I'm fairly certain iLife will be bundled, though. I think it's pretty clear that it'll require Leopard -- otherwise we'd have heard something about it by now. If that's the case, I think it'll be bundled and the price of Leopard will go up about $50.

Kickaha
2007-06-07, 07:40
Don't forget, the ADC Student Membership, which includes ongoing copies of the full final versions of MacOS X, is $99/yr.

I say go for the iPod, sign up for that, profit.

trevo
2007-06-07, 10:35
Don't forget, the ADC Student Membership, which includes ongoing copies of the full final versions of MacOS X, is $99/yr.

I thought it was a copy of the latest version of Mac OS X and that was it. Are you sure that I can sign up now and get a copy of Leopard when it comes out?

evan
2007-06-07, 11:32
do you have a current computer you could use at college before you buy the macbook (assuming you choose to wait)? If not, go ahead and buy it now or towards the end of summer just because you'll want a reliable computer at the start of college... you don't want to have to worry about moving in, starting you classes, joining a frat... + whatever, and on top of everything else worry about your computer situation. It's best to just have that settled before school starts so its not an issue.

MCQ
2007-06-07, 11:41
I thought it was a copy of the latest version of Mac OS X and that was it. Are you sure that I can sign up now and get a copy of Leopard when it comes out?

Apple typically sends out a DVD of major releases to paid subscribers (including the education level) in the ADC mailings approximately 1-2 months after public availability.

seek3r
2007-06-07, 16:36

Yes, I have an ADC student membership (discount definitely helped with my mac pro :-p), and I checked that. If you sign up, you will receive leopard when it's released (you don't get the dev builds that full ADC members get though)

Apple typically sends out a DVD of major releases to paid subscribers (including the education level) in the ADC mailings approximately 1-2 months after public availability.

But it'll be available for download immediately from the ADC site AFAIK.