PDA

View Full Version : Apple Buying Kurzweil

avonelppa
2004-10-29, 09:40
Has anybody heard anything about Apple Computers pursuing purchasing Kurzweil Music Systems?

Snoopy
2004-10-29, 09:43
Now that IS interesting.

curiousuburb
2004-10-29, 11:14
No, but I'm reading one of Ray's Books (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0140282025/102-9797423-3440133?v=glance) at the moment.

Kickaha
2004-10-29, 11:49
Kurzweil Music, or Kurzweil Educational? The latter makes some rather good assisted learning products for disabled folks, and that's another big push for Apple right now.

LoCash
2004-10-29, 12:11
Kurzweil Music, or Kurzweil Educational? The latter makes some rather good assisted learning products for disabled folks, and that's another big push for Apple right now.
I'm guessing he means Kurzweil Music since he did say that in his first post ;)

murbot
2004-10-29, 12:17
His big red beard got in his eyes before he got to the end of the sentence.

:)

Kickaha
2004-10-29, 12:32
I'll smack ya damn kids with mah CANE I will...

No, simply that anytime someone hears 'Kurzweil', they *assume* the music company, and there actually is another Kurzweil out there with a product in one of Apple's areas of interest. If the original source had merely heard 'Kurzweil', they may have assumed the wrong company, and passed it on as fact regarding the music company.

avonelppa
2004-10-29, 16:06
I am not talking about any other Kurzweil, besides Kurzweil Music Systems! I first heard the information on other mac rumor sites and passed it off too. But, there was even someone asking about it at KeyboardCorner, a top music site.

neo
2004-10-29, 17:12
That would be so fantastic!

Kurzweil would be such a great add to Apple's GarageBand. With Kurzweil's awesome sounds (i.e. THE BEST IN THE BUSINESS) and Apple's OS X and sleek design of their computers, this would be the perfect merge of music/computers.

For nastalgia sake, check out this link:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb99/articles/kurzweilk250.668.htm

Mac+
2004-10-29, 19:57
Well this is interesting - Kurzweil used to be the "Rolls Royce" of electronic musical instruments, but since they were sold off to Young and Chang, their R&D has not been as ground-breaking as it once was. Besides, the world of music tech has moved on in leaps and bounds and I am not all that sure that Kurzweil remain as relevant as they once were. (... wipes a tear away from face in memory of that great Australian company Fairlight CMI)

It is a pity b/c they used to be *the* choice for discerning musicians. However, if Apple gets 'em that would be a good thing ... mind you it is sort of incredible when you think of how coveted those Kurzweil sounds used to be and how they may end up as additional material for some small app such as GB - although I suspect Apple may choose to use the clout of the Kurzweil name to bolster up the offerings in their Logic line-up.

BuonRotto
2004-10-29, 21:55
Kurzweil education sounds just as interesting, maybe more so.

Kurzweil Educational currently offers Kurzweil 1000, Kurzweil 3000 for Windows and Kurzweil 3000 for Macintosh. All products incorporate the most clear, human-like synthesized voices available coupled with a robust set of easy-to-use features for accessing, reading, managing and creating text and images.

https://www.kurzweiledu.com/

I can't find info on any such rumor about either company with a quick pass of Google. However, it does seem that there's a rumor about Kurzweil's (the music one) demise every few months, like the old Apple Death Watches.

Kickaha
2004-10-29, 22:02
I am not talking about any other Kurzweil, besides Kurzweil Music Systems! I first heard the information on other mac rumor sites and passed it off too. But, there was even someone asking about it at KeyboardCorner, a top music site.

Riiiiiiiight, but what I'm trying to determine is where the rumor started, and if *THAT* source meant Kurzweil Music or Education. They may have simply said "Kurzweil" and the first link assumed Music, and ran with it. Rumor gets around, everyone points to some 'other' site that 'confirms' Music, and voila, it ends up on music sites as gospel too. D'oh.

Stick around the internet a while, and you'll see how badly things can get mangled and replicated quickly. :)

avonelppa
2004-10-30, 01:30
I am not sure exactly where the rumor started. I heard it from MusicPlayer.com(Keyboard Corner). I don't think that they would be talking about it there, if it were about Kurzweil EDU, and not Kurzweil Music Systems.

BuonRotto
2004-10-30, 10:00
The internet is an echo chamber. I suggest not getting too hyped up either way.

Mac+
2004-10-30, 23:05
Kurzweil education sounds just as interesting, maybe more so.

https://www.kurzweiledu.com/

I can't find info on any such rumor about either company with a quick pass of Google. However, it does seem that there's a rumor about Kurzweil's (the music one) demise every few months, like the old Apple Death Watches.Actually, BuonRotto I think you're right. :) Kurzweil education - with the text to speech capabilities (it was Stevie Wonder who challenged Ray in the first place to produce a musical instrument that was as good as his braille readers ... I think - if my memory serves me well) may be just what Apple is after if they intend to beef up their Accessibilty services in OS X.

And, yes, Kick - I'm guilty. :o I jumped on the Kurzweil music angle ... the education angle is just as viable.