PDA

View Full Version : MacPro vs. XServe

ezkcdude
2007-06-12, 22:10
MacPro is quite a bit cheaper than the XServe when configured similarly as a server (eg with fiber channel card and OS X Server), so I'm wondering what are the advantages of the XServe? Is it simply a reliability issue? If I plan on running the server 24/7 with an attached XServe RAID, am I better off with the XServe or MacPro?

rasmits
2007-06-12, 22:30
With the xserve you get a compact, stackable case with lights-out management. I assume there are several other minor features, but that's basically it.

If you don't need those features, a Mac Pro will make a fine server.

seek3r
2007-06-14, 04:22
With the xserve you get a compact, stackable case with lights-out management. I assume there are several other minor features, but that's basically it.

If you don't need those features, a Mac Pro will make a fine server.

I'll throw in a couple more
Redundant, load sharing power supplies is a big one for a lot of server uses.

Serial port for remote connection from another machine if needed (comes in handy if the server is in a colo far far away from you).

PCI-X (which is still big in server circles

SAS backplane instead of SATA II (which can use SATA II disks in case you're wondering, but also supports the 15k RPM SAS disks)

And yeah, the 1U format is nice if you're racking it, especially if you're racking an xserve raid under (or over) it :-)