PDA

View Full Version : Finally buying my MBP

dmegatool
2007-06-15, 18:36
So I'm in a fucking hurry now. I'm moving to my new job. I'm starting on monday 25th.

I'll propably buy at futureshop or something cause there's no apple store near and I can't wait for the delivery. I really need it the 25th or I'll not be able to work :)

So... finally here is my question. Can I use a student discount at Futureshop ? All my co-worker are at the university so I could use one of their ID right ? (I already ask and someone told me that the ID wasn't tied with the name).

PB PM
2007-06-16, 02:33
No, education discount is only available through the online Apple store, not at retailers, believe me, I tried.

Brad
2007-06-16, 02:40
No, education discount is only available through the online Apple store, not at retailers, believe me, I tried.
You didn't try hard enough, assuming you tried an Apple Store.

Education discounts are available in-store for hardware but not software. My wife and I have bought computers and iPods in two different local Apple Stores with our university IDs and we've gotten the discounts without any hassle.

Third party stores, on the other hand, are not likely (because they're not required) to honor the education discount. So, I wouldn't hold out hope for a discount at futureshop, dmegatool.

Fahrenheit
2007-06-16, 02:52
How about try squeezing your way in here:

http://bkstore.concordia.ca/ccs/ccs_search.asp?keyword=LAP-MA610LL%2fA&all=Y

? ;)

PB PM
2007-06-16, 02:55
You didn't try hard enough, assuming you tried an Apple Store.

Education discounts are available in-store for hardware but not software. My wife and I have bought computers and iPods in two different local Apple Stores with our university IDs and we've gotten the discounts without any hassle.

Third party stores, on the other hand, are not likely (because they're not required) to honor the education discount. So, I wouldn't hold out hope for a discount at futureshop, dmegatool.
There is only one Apple Store in Canada, Toronto. There is no way I'd flying half way across the country just to get a few hundred off a computer, the flight would cost more... thanks anyway. :rolleyes:

chucker
2007-06-16, 03:58
There is only one Apple Store in Canada, Toronto.

Actually, there's three in Toronto and one in Laval. Not that any of those are particularly close to you.

Bryson
2007-06-16, 04:16
There's one in Lynnwood, which is only about a hour and a half south. (If over the border.)

http://www.apple.com/retail/alderwoodmall/week/20070610.html

...but the duty might be a bitch, come to think of it.

EDIT: Ah, got confused, thought it was PB PM buying the MBP. Move on, nothing to see here, except me going slightly doolally.

chucker
2007-06-16, 04:33
Well, if it's about dmegatool, the one in Laval might be an option.

dmegatool
2007-06-16, 07:57
Yeah I just discovered about the store in Laval.

I was thinking about futureshop cause I can use their "36 month Equal Payment, No Interest option". Does the Apple Store offer something like this ? If so, maybe I'll drive the 3 hours to get there :)

Fahrenheit
2007-06-16, 08:29
Did you work out whether you could try the University Shop - they have a deal on a Macbook Pro. :)

dmegatool
2007-06-16, 09:34
It's only 70$ off and it is stated "Valid Concordia staff, student or faculty ID must be presented at time of purchase".

The IDs I could get aren't at Concordia... :\ Anyway they probably don't offer a X month equal payment, no interest option

dmegatool
2007-06-16, 10:59
Ok I'm going... :)

I'll buy at Futureshop cause I called Applestore and there is no way to pay on X months. But futureshop is kinda wierd, if you buy anything but a computer, you can on 36 months if you buy for over 999$. But computers are limited to 12 months, even if I'm buying a 2500$ computer (with the taxes).

Anyway... MPB in 2,5 hours :) :) :) :) :) :) (nearest Futureshop to me that still has a MBP in stock. The real nearest at 1,5 hours doesn't got 1 in stock :\)

PB PM
2007-06-16, 12:27
There's one in Lynnwood, which is only about a hour and a half south. (If over the border.)

http://www.apple.com/retail/alderwoodmall/week/20070610.html

...but the duty might be a bitch, come to think of it.

EDIT: Ah, got confused, thought it was PB PM buying the MBP. Move on, nothing to see here, except me going slightly doolally.
Right yeah I thought of that when I was buying mine in January, but it is about a two and a half hour drive, and something tells me the American stores may not/don't have to accept a Canadian student IDs. Duty is the big problem, it would kill all the benefits of buying from the store (such as the fact that even with the dollar difference the American models are cheaper). Sure no student discount, but I do like my local Apple dealer due to their good service (they've sold us five Macs now, and even take trade-ins on older machines).

dmegatool
2007-06-16, 20:24
Done !

I'm now a fucking Pro with a Mac and a MacBook

Signature updated :p

moo
2007-06-28, 05:23
dude, u could've gone to UBC bookstore - they offer the student discounts....
oh well, next time.

rampancy
2007-06-28, 08:41

I'd like to add that I also got a discount on AppleCare with my own university ID when I went into the Eaton Centre Apple Store in Toronto.

PB PM
2007-06-28, 12:54
dude, u could've gone to UBC bookstore - they offer the student discounts....
oh well, next time.
Thats only if you are a UBC student, just like other major universities they tend to cater to their own students, not those from other schools.

dmegatool
2007-06-28, 13:17
Thats only if you are a UBC student, just like other major universities they tend to cater to their own students, not those from other schools.

That's what I thought.

Anyway I don't think a school can offer a "per month" solution. I called the Laval's Apple Store and they don't offer anything. I didn't had 2500$ in my pockect right now so it wasn't an option.

Windswept
2007-06-28, 13:39
Done !

I'm now a fucking Pro with a Mac and a MacBook

Signature updated :p
Congratulations, dmegatool! :)

archonium
2007-06-28, 14:10
Welcome to the family :)

Mugge
2007-06-28, 17:26
Yep. This is indeed one very fine breed of machines.

:cool: