PDA

View Full Version : Completely new to Apple.

JerseyThursday
2007-06-15, 22:46
Hey guys, I am completely new to Apple and plan on buying the IMAC when Leopard comes out (hopefully October). In the meantime, In order to understand MAC, I've been reading an old Mac OSX Tiger For Dummies that I got for 4 dollars.

Should I buy an old IMAC G3 that I can get for about 50 dollars online to use as practice until I buy my IMAC? If possible can I upgrade the memory, hardrive, etc to make it accept Leopard?

Any advice?

Windowsrookie
2007-06-15, 23:01
No, Do not buy an iMac G3. Leopard will not run on it. Also, it's Mac not "MAC", and iMac not "IMAC".

judeobscure
2007-06-15, 23:02
That's iMac not IMAC.

chucker
2007-06-15, 23:07
An iMac G3 isn't going to get you any worthwhile, enticing experience. You're gonna want something a lot more recent than that.

JerseyThursday
2007-06-15, 23:29
Thanks guys. How bout a G4 iMac?

Windowsrookie
2007-06-15, 23:32
Any G4 iMac will run Leopard. But really, Leopard will run best on a new iMac.

I wouldn't go for an iMac G4 under 1GHZ, and it will need at least 512MB of RAM. Also, the G4 iMacs are getting quite old now and run the possibility of having the bulbs in the LCDs die.

JerseyThursday
2007-06-15, 23:34
hmm, good point, the iMac Duo Core with Leopard should be around the Holidays, I'll have enough time to save for a 1300 dollar one.

Windowsrookie
2007-06-15, 23:35
Yep. :)

Bryson
2007-06-16, 03:36
Shouldn't older machines get snappier with new OS's on? They always have in the past (If you don't use widgets...)

scratt
2007-06-16, 03:39
Yeah.. My Powerbook540c runs the Leopard Beta like it's on fire! :p

Bryson
2007-06-16, 03:40
...with logical exceptions....*grumble*....

scratt
2007-06-16, 05:06
...with logical exceptions....*grumble*....

Hehe. Sorry, couldn't resist!

In all seriousness it is often said that newer versions of OS X are a bit nippier.. I have my doubts, and think it is generally simply because the system is newly installed and feels 'fresher'. I certainly find most of my older machines are starting to feel the load of more recent versions of OS X, but that is my own subjective experience.

JerseyThursday
2007-06-17, 22:07
Another questions guys, I'm not thinking about getting an IPod till a few years from now, I have a Creative ZenNano 512mb. Will it run on an iMac?

torifile
2007-06-17, 22:26
Another questions guys, I'm not thinking about getting an IPod till a few years from now, I have a Creative ZenNano 512mb. Will it run on an iMac?
It should be just a "mass storage device" that shows up in the finder. Drag and drop should work just fine. Of course, you've got to keep in mind that it won't play iTunes store purchased music and you'll have to remember to encode your music in mp3 rather than aac (the default in iTunes).

Something to think about with respect to timing your purchase: if you're a student, Apple's running a promo on a combined Mac/iPod purchase. In essence, you get a free nano when you buy a Mac. It runs through the beginning of Sept. so you'll have to buy before Leopard comes out.

hiltond
2007-06-18, 14:39
Hi Jersey, welcome to AN.

How new is completely? As in never played with OS X. Are you looking for someplace to try it out for a little bit or are you looking to be up and running. You would probably be pretty frustrated with a G3 iMac even with maxed ram an hd, plus you would be sinking money into a temporary solution.

What is it about Leopard that makes you want to wait for the upgrade?

I would say wait for Leopard if you feel you need the new features or buy a G5 or one of the original Intel core models.

JerseyThursday
2007-06-18, 21:51
Hi Jersey, welcome to AN.

How new is completely? As in never played with OS X. Are you looking for someplace to try it out for a little bit or are you looking to be up and running. You would probably be pretty frustrated with a G3 iMac even with maxed ram an hd, plus you would be sinking money into a temporary solution.

What is it about Leopard that makes you want to wait for the upgrade?

I would say wait for Leopard if you feel you need the new features or buy a G5 or one of the original Intel core models.

new as in, I haven't used an apple since grade school computer class when we played Oregon Trail, moved that "turtle" around through commands and the floppy disks were actually floppy. First computer I ever owned was a Gate way in 1996, then I got my HP pavilion in 2002, and am still using it. In college I used a G3 PowerMac to write a paper, but that was it.

I wanna convert to Apple because I'm sick of Windows, the spyware, the slow booting, and all that garbage. Like i said my computer is over 5 years old and got it right when XP came out. It has 256mb ram, 60 gb hardrive 1.4 GHZ AMD Athlon, a DVD, but just a CD-rw. I've been wanna upgrade eventually, so I figured, go with Apple.

I almost got an iMac 2 months ago, around the time Vista premiered. The guy at the Apple store told me about Leopard that will be coming out and that it's supposed to be better than Vista. I figured I'd hold out until then. I was hoping it would come out around now, but I heard it was pushed back until Oct. because of the iPhone.

I'm willing to wait until Oct or even early 2008. I figured in the meantime I'll try my best to learn about Apple's programing, by reading books, magazines, message board or even getting a G3 iMac to practice on for learning and understanding purpose.

JerseyThursday
2007-06-21, 21:04
I'm new in the sense that I haven't used an apple regularly since I was a kid in grade school during computer class on an Apple 2 when we played Oregon Trail, and moved the "turtle" around with different commands.

I heard Leopard is supposed to be better than Vista when it comes out, and I figured if I'm gonna have an new Apple for at least 5 years, I should go with the newest OS.

If I can find a G5 or original core model for decent discount with Tiger in it, I'll consider it. but it must have a superdrive and either 512 or 1gb or Ram.

and good websites where I can find good deals on those? I'm not a fan of Ebay in all honesty.

PB PM
2007-06-21, 21:13
Apple sells refurbished models at a discount, not the greatest discount, but worth a look.

FFL
2007-06-21, 21:23
Apple sells refurbished models at a discount, not the greatest discount, but worth a look.The discount would probably be more than enough to pay for a copy of Leopard when it comes out. This sounds like an ideal solution to me.

JerseyThursday
2007-06-21, 21:34
yeah I'm noticing my HP that i got in 2002 with Windows 2000 Pro and 256mb of ram is slowing down on my, it's taking a while to load up now, and it's about that time to get a new computer.

psmith2.0
2007-06-21, 21:41
I agree. I would look for a refurb 17" iMac Core 2 Duo. It'll come with Tiger and everything else already on, and the money you save more than buys you a copy of Leopard come October. And a 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo iMac is going to be a nice little machine for years to come.

Currently at the refurb section on the online Apple store (10:37pm EST, June 21), there are THREE 17" iMac Core 2 Duo models available for $849, $949 and $1,049 (combo w/ Intel grapics, combo with dedicated graphics and SuperDrive model, respectively).

I'd recommend the $949 or $1,049 model. You couldn't go wrong (bump the RAM up from 512MB on the $949 model).

You do that and you've DEFINITELY got a Leopard-friendly machine come autumn! Plus you're have a really spiffy, current-generation iMac - the flagship of Apple's computers - with the built-in iSight, remote control, etc. If there's any way you could swing $949 soon...

Otherwise, keep saving and jump on the new, redesigned iMac that is rumored to come mid-summer.

So many options. The choice has to be yours, we can just give you basic guides and info to go by. But, personally, I don't think I'd fool with a G3 or G4-based Mac of any kind when such recent, speedy Intel-based models are available at nice refurb pricing.

:)

JerseyThursday
2007-06-21, 21:49
thanks pscates, the money is no problem. I just got out of active duty in the navy last year and I've saved so much money in 7 months tax free and spending only 20 bucks a month being on a ship and the middle east. I have enough for 20 iMacs.

If I get it refurbished, can I still get AppleCare? and will my military discount (I'm still a reservist) work. I think it's only for Apple Stores though.

I though about getting a Mac Mini, but I need a new screen. I have a Gateway model, that my family had since 1995, still works good, but I never had a flat screen.

FFL
2007-06-21, 21:50
I'm pretty sure you wants a SuperDrive, so I think the $1049 model is the way to go.

Another item for consideration is the rumored demise of the 17" model - so if that's the price point and screen size you want, this is a good time to buy (especially with the refurb pricing).

FFL
2007-06-21, 21:53
If I get it refurbished, can I still get AppleCare? and will my military discount (I'm still a reservist) work. I think it's only for Apple Stores thoughYes to AppleCare. You can add it to the cart when buying the refurb from the online store, and it should then be pre-registered to your refurb serial number.

No for the military discount - just like edu discounts, you can either get the discount, or buy refurb, but not both.

JerseyThursday
2007-06-21, 22:00
yeah that 17" for $1049 seems that best for me. Another question. I have a cable modem on my HP, how do I switch it to a Mac computer. Should I get the cable company to do that?

FFL
2007-06-21, 22:11
It varies from cable company to cable company. Some of them lock in the MAC address (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_access_control) of whatever computer or router is connected to the cable modem, and lock the modem if another device's MAC address shows up suddenly.

Sometimes what works best is to remove the Ethernet connection from your old computer, while it's booted up, and plugging it into your new computer, while it is also booted up.

Sometimes what works best is to power down the old computer, then unplug the Ethernet connection, then power down the cable modem for at least 30 minutes, and then plug it into your new computer, and then boot the new computer.

Sometimes, no matter what permutation of the above that you go with, you end up having to call the cable company's broadband tech support and giving them the MAC address of your new Mac.
:)

FFL
2007-06-21, 22:12
Also - the above post should be considered your newbie primer on why you should never refer to your Mac as a MAC.
;)

JerseyThursday
2007-06-21, 22:14
gotcha MAC means Media Access Control

Koodari
2007-06-21, 22:14
I heard Leopard is supposed to be better than Vista when it comes out, and I figured if I'm gonna have an new Apple for at least 5 years, I should go with the newest OS.10.3 and 10.4 were both positively worthwhile upgrades, even though I was a little sceptical about 10.4 beforehand. So I'd say it's worth it to go with the newest OS whether you buy it separately or get it with a computer.

As for Vista.. 10.3 was already better and it came out in 2003. ;)If I can find a G5 or original core model for decent discount with Tiger in it, I'll consider it. but it must have a superdrive and either 512 or 1gb or Ram.I'd up the RAM requirement to 1GB minimum.

Architecture compatibility has been very good so far, but for "at least five years" ownership, take the future proofing that comes with going with an Intel processor. With a Core Duo minimum, you also get iSight which is not on every G5 model.

Whenever the new iMac comes out, it's likely to drop the prices of used machines, especially the most recent Core 2 Duo models'. I got a very good deal on a Macbook that was just 3 months old because I bought it directly after the announcement of new models.

Are you set on 17"? I've been something of a "screen freak" for the past ten years, and think that large displays are a good idea even in uses that traditionally aren't considered to "need" them, like normal surfing/mailing/text editing etc. Mac OS in particular can benefit from it due to the versatile drag and drop facilities and the tendency to use many apps, each best for their particular job, instead of one swiss-knife monolithic application.

You haven't said what it is you want to do with the computer.

FFL
2007-06-21, 22:15
Last hint - you DO want additional RAM, but you DON"T want to buy it from Apple. Don't worry about the RAM till you get your computer.

This $95 investment
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/53DR2SPAIR2G/
would be your best bet.

JerseyThursday
2007-06-21, 22:24
Koodari, (sorry I don't think I can attach quotes yet). Basically what I want to do with an iMac is internet, photoshop, photo storage, music, watching movies. Possible start my own website with my friends, possible writing stuff (probably get MS Office) and what ever else it has to offer.

I was never big on videogames, I'm not into Warcraft or Halo, I haven't owned a game system since Sega Genesis. But if Mac does have some decent games I'll consider them. I'm a fan of the simple, bargain games you'd see at a computer store for like 5-10 dollars.

PB PM
2007-06-21, 22:27
Not much chance of finding bargain bin Mac games, even the crappy ones seem to keep their original price for years; unless of course you count eBay.

psmith2.0
2007-06-21, 23:34
thanks pscates, the money is no problem. I just got out of active duty in the navy last year and I've saved so much money in 7 months tax free and spending only 20 bucks a month being on a ship and the middle east. I have enough for 20 iMacs.

Good, then you can buy me an iPhone! :p ;)

Koodari
2007-06-22, 00:48
Koodari, (sorry I don't think I can attach quotes yet). Basically what I want to do with an iMac is internet, photoshop, photo storage, music, watching movies. Possible start my own website with my friends, possible writing stuff (probably get MS Office) and what ever else it has to offer.Okay.. none of that stresses the processor, so as long as the processor is an Intel one, any extra you are willing to spend should go toward a bigger screen.I was never big on videogames, I'm not into Warcraft or Halo, I haven't owned a game system since Sega Genesis. But if Mac does have some decent games I'll consider them. I'm a fan of the simple, bargain games you'd see at a computer store for like 5-10 dollars.Zuma and Bejeweled are pretty nice arcade/puzzle games and can be bought off the net. Console emulators, free off the net.

Any Blizzard game back to Starcraft and Diablo II times, as well as Bungie's Myth games are widely available and cheap. With rare exceptions (the Blizzard "Battle Chest" comes to mind) the same disks contain both Mac/PC versions. With the exception of Blizzard's latest, you'll need some free downloads for the games to work right on OS X.

JerseyThursday
2007-06-24, 23:29
I just downloaded the beta version of Safari 3.0 off the Apple site. I'm using it right now. It's definately better than IE that's for sure. Although alot of my friends say Firefox is the best brower out there.

World Leader Pretend
2007-06-25, 10:30
*Laughs at the Similar Threads*

:lol:

kieran
2007-06-25, 10:44
I used FireFox when I first got my Mac. But, I've found Safari to be better for me than FireFox. I don't use any extensions or add ons, so I don't need it. Also, I don't like the look of FF.

WLP- just noticed that too. haha :)

alcimedes
2007-06-25, 10:53
Just as an explanation for the nerdy insistence on Mac vs. MAC, in the computer world Mac is short for Macintosh, whereas MAC is an acronym for Media Access Card. So your Mac will have a MAC, and a Windows box will have a MAC etc.

gets confusing otherwise. :)

(and welcome)