PDA

View Full Version : External HDD for Aperture and Q's about SATA

trevo
2007-06-17, 09:43
Hello, My MBP comes sometime this week. I currently store my projects on DVD, It would me much easier to just have everything on an external drive and use DVDs to backup.

I don't know how fast a drive would have to be to make it feasible to edit/view and use in Aperture?

I noticed you can buy a ExpressCard/34 SATA adapter, do I need this or is something with FireWire 800 fine? Looking on Western Digital's website (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/resources/DriveCompatibilityguide.asp) their drives don't support SATA with Mac OS X...? What brands do you recommend? We have mostly Seagate and WD at work.

Much Appreciated, Thanks.

Wyatt
2007-06-17, 10:46
Firewire 400 is fine for photo editing. If you were doing video, FW800 would help (as would eSATA), but for Aperture, I would think FW400 would be plenty.

I'm not sure why it says SATA drives don't work with OSX, though. Most, if not all, current Macs use SATA. I've never heard of a brand that didn't work.

trevo
2007-06-18, 03:38
Thanks fcgriz, The drive I'm looking at has FW800 as well as 400 so i'll buy that one and use the faster interface, I'm glad to hear FW400 will suit my needs.