PDA

View Full Version : DVD Problems

tacvbo83
2007-06-17, 11:02
Apple is making me buy a certain brand of DVD+R since the 100-pack of Sony's I got on sale do not work well with Macs. For some reason they just create an error(not before thou). Also, iTunes will not rip some cds now. Anybody been thru this?

Well anyways, since I have 95 Sony DVD+R left and always wanted an external burner I was thinking you guys help me decide which one to get.
I am looking at this one right now. ( http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10517 ) Anyone have it? Is there a cheaper/better one?

turbulentfurball
2007-06-17, 11:27
I bought an external 5.25 inch firewire exclosure and an internal benq DVD burner for a lot less than that, It sure doesn't look as cool as that lacie burner though :cool:

Edit: Also, I use non-branded DVDs from a supermarket and I've had no issues ever.

torifile
2007-06-17, 11:27
Why do you say "Apple is making me buy a certain brand of DVD+R..."? How are they making you do anything?

tacvbo83
2007-06-17, 11:34
Why do you say "Apple is making me buy a certain brand of DVD+R..."? How are they making you do anything?

That is what AppleCare told me to do. To buy Imation, Maxell, or Memorex cd/dvd only. Well I guess that is fine with me but I would have thought all drives can handle all brands. At least I have not had that problem in the past. Now I am stuck with 95 DVD+R that I can't use with my MBP. I don't know much about computers but can't that be fixed with firmware or something? I don't know.

torifile
2007-06-17, 11:44
That is what AppleCare told me to do. To buy Imation, Maxell, or Memorex cd/dvd only. Well I guess that is fine with me but I would have thought all drives can handle all brands. At least I have not had that problem in the past. Now I am stuck with 95 DVD+R that I can't use with my MBP. I don't know much about computers but can't that be fixed with firmware or something? I don't know.
That the typical customer support brush off answer. "It's the media... It's the program... blah blah" It's really a bunch of BS, if you ask me. The problem you're having with iTunes ripping some CDs is possibly indicative of a larger issue.

tacvbo83
2007-06-17, 11:52
That the typical customer support brush off answer. "It's the media... It's the program... blah blah" It's really a bunch of BS, if you ask me. The problem you're having with iTunes ripping some CDs is possibly indicative of a larger issue.

That is what I said. I had never had that "brush off" before. (with my MBP or my cousins MB which is under my name) In the other hand, my friends black Macbook has had many problems and they always give him a "brush off" type support; I know because I tried to do it once for him. Should I call back and demand a fix?

tacvbo83
2007-06-18, 09:45
Anybody have an external disc drive to make data DVD's? If yes, which one?

kretara
2007-06-18, 14:02
Anybody have an external disc drive to make data DVD's? If yes, which one?

I have a lacie firewire external DVD-RW and an external firewire Pioneer 110d DVD-RW that I put into a 5.25 enclosure. Both work just fine.

turtle
2007-06-18, 14:48
I ordered one of the LaCie external drives because my CompUSA branded DVD+Rs were getting stuck in my MB slot load. The Apple GB tried to tell me my frame was bent, but it only hangs on the the CompUSA DVDs. So I have an external drive on the way now.

PB PM
2007-06-18, 15:21
Interesting, Sony DVD+RW work just fine with my MBP.

tacvbo83
2007-06-18, 23:28
I am buying a 5 pack of another brand tomorrow and see what's going on with my drive. Also, for some reason my Black Light Burns cd plays very badly and I can't import it. Too bad it worked when I was calling, but all the other times it has not. (well the importing did not work when I called but again, was told it was the cd itself blah blah blah) So tomorrow AppleCare is going to get a "you better fix this shit now!" call.

digitalprimate
2007-06-19, 17:52
I mostly use TDK (DVD+R(W)) and the occasional Sony CD-R