PDA

View Full Version : HDTV on mac

KDubbs82
2007-06-24, 01:15
Hello. Being that there is no specific hardware out for HDTV through a HDTV tuner card with encryption capabilities, I was considering buying an HDTV to hook up to a Mac Pro. Are there any HDTVs "do's and don'ts"? I would like to use one input for a computer monitor (probably through a DVI to HDMI cable) and another input for a DirecTV satellite receiver. Can anyone suggest a TV or an efficient setup for this type of configuration?

Things that I have heard:

1. Plasma screens cannot be idle because it will leave a last image on the PC (Would a screesaver that starts after 3-5 mins counter this problem?)
2. Many TVs do not have PC support. I am looking for a 30" ...any suggetions?

Thank you in advance!

Gargoyle
2007-06-24, 03:59
Go for a LCD. IMO they have better picture quality than similar spec'd plasma TVs. When I was lookin at buying a new TV, most of the ones I looked at had at least 1 HDMI and 1 VGA, plus component hookups. I settled on a 32" Samsung (18 months old now).

By brother is now looking and said when he was in the local store last week he said the Samsung stood out among other more expensive models from the likes of Sony with regard to picture qality. (He's getting this one in 40" (http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/television/tftlcd/le37m87bdxxeu.asp)).

So, from my experience so far, I would recommend Samsung. I have had a few of their LCD computer monitors, and am very pleased with their big TVs

Robo
2007-06-24, 04:41
If you're looking for something 32" or so, your decision is more or less made for you. Plasma panels seem to only be produced when an LCD panel would be prohibitively expensive - 42" and up.

That said, I second the suggestion for Samsung's displays. You're charged a bit of a premium for them these days, but you definitely get what you pay for.

KDubbs82
2007-06-27, 00:48
Go for a LCD. IMO they have better picture quality than similar spec'd plasma TVs. When I was lookin at buying a new TV, most of the ones I looked at had at least 1 HDMI and 1 VGA, plus component hookups. I settled on a 32" Samsung (18 months old now).

By brother is now looking and said when he was in the local store last week he said the Samsung stood out among other more expensive models from the likes of Sony with regard to picture qality. (He's getting this one in 40" (http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/television/tftlcd/le37m87bdxxeu.asp)).

So, from my experience so far, I would recommend Samsung. I have had a few of their LCD computer monitors, and am very pleased with their big TVs
I definitely will take your advice.... The one i have looked at is a 32" HDTV with like 2 HDMI's and I think it mentioned a DVI in the online manual. Is the picture quality better than the Cinema displays?

Gargoyle
2007-06-27, 07:47
I definitely will take your advice.... The one i have looked at is a 32" HDTV with like 2 HDMI's and I think it mentioned a DVI in the online manual. Is the picture quality better than the Cinema displays?

I would say no simply for that fact the the Cinema displays are computer monitors (not TV's) and squeese a lot more pixels into the same space. The 30" Cinema is 2560x1600, most 1080p HDTVs are only 1920*1080 so you have less pixels covering more space!

KDubbs82
2007-06-27, 09:21
I would say no simply for that fact the the Cinema displays are computer monitors (not TV's) and squeese a lot more pixels into the same space. The 30" Cinema is 2560x1600, most 1080p HDTVs are only 1920*1080 so you have less pixels covering more space!
So no HDTV has pixels that rival a computer screen? The cinema screen is too pricey for a computer screen; the question I would want to answer is would I notice the difference. What do you think?

Gargoyle
2007-06-27, 17:14
Are you intending on sitting close to this thing for normal computer use or as a TV?

You will probably be very dissapointed with the image quality if you are going to try and do normal computer stuff - about 1/2M distance from the screen.

KDubbs82
2007-06-28, 00:15
Are you intending on sitting close to this thing for normal computer use or as a TV?

You will probably be very dissapointed with the image quality if you are going to try and do normal computer stuff - about 1/2M distance from the screen.
I wanted to use it for both a computer screen and TV.... so i guess i have to get a cinema display....there are no solutions that i have seen that can give me the best of both worlds (HDTV and Mac Monitor).... I have a thread on here about slingbox...altho I don't know much about it or the hacks to make it a stream to the hard drive... are u aware of any HDTV PVR solutions that will allow me to watch HDTV as well as record it?

Windowsrookie
2007-06-28, 00:20
TVs are designed to be... Televisions, not computer monitors. You don't have to get a cinema display, but computer monitors have much denser screens than TVs.

KDubbs82
2007-06-28, 00:28
TVs are designed to be... Televisions, not computer monitors. You don't have to get a cinema display, but computer monitors have much denser screens than TVs.
So that would include the LCD screens by Samsung that we talked about above? (If so, that kinda sucks....)

Windowsrookie
2007-06-28, 00:33
Almost any LCD TV will have a smaller resolution than a 20"+ computer monitor.

Just like to add, Samsung LCD TVs are very nice. But I myself prefer the better viewing angles and higher contrast ratios of plasma TVs. :)

KDubbs82
2007-06-28, 00:35
So... plasmas are better...i heard that you cant leave the computer idle because it will paste the image on the screen...have you heard anything about that? LOL..i'm so confused the other guy in this thread was advising me on LCD's and ur saying they aren't as good as plasma... don't know where to spend my money!!! lol..

sirnick4
2007-06-28, 00:54
Samsung HDTVs are great. My mom (DLP) and sister (LCD) both love their TVs.

Great products.

Windowsrookie
2007-06-28, 01:12
So... plasmas are better...i heard that you cant leave the computer idle because it will paste the image on the screen...have you heard anything about that? LOL..i'm so confused the other guy in this thread was advising me on LCD's and ur saying they aren't as good as plasma... don't know where to spend my money!!! lol..

I didn't say either was better. I said I prefer plasmas. Most of the burn in problems on plasmas have been fixed. But yes, if you are going to use a plasma as a computer monitor (which would be stupid) the menu bar would probably burn in.