PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook 17in Replacement battery

masonmd
2007-07-02, 14:10
Any advice on purchasing a replacement battery for a Powerbook 17 in 1.67.
---Any thoughts on the high capacity batteries at otherworldcomputing.com?
---Best place to find good prices?
Thanks.

lowcountry
2007-07-05, 11:24
I've always purchased replacements straight from Apple. However, I have been intrigued by the high capacity battery options, but, like you, haven't heard much about them. The safest purchase is the one made through Apple.

Dorian Gray
2007-07-05, 14:51
My thoughts on this, having seen and used a few of these third-party batteries, though never one I purchased myself: get an Apple battery. The price difference isn't great, because Apple charges reasonably for batteries compared to other manufacturers like Sony. And Apple batteries are much better made. Some of the third-party batteries use silver plastic instead of aluminium: this looks ugly, the silver paint wears off, and they never fit very well. The battery tech itself, even from the so-called high-capacity batteries, is, at best, no better than Apple's, and often worse.

You have a nice PowerBook that will be a good machine for at least another couple of years. I think it would be worth spending the extra 30 dollars or whatever for an authentic Apple battery, which are among the best lithium-based batteries on the market.

masonmd
2007-07-08, 09:42
Thanks. That is exactly what I was thinking.

The Apple battery is also cheaper.