PDA

View Full Version : Jabra BT500 vs. BT5010 vs. BT5020

markw10
2007-07-13, 13:23
I am looking for a Bluetooth headset to compliment my iPhone. I haven't looked at Sony or Samsung yet and not even much at Plantronics. I looked first at Jabra since I heard the most about them. I tried a Jawbone already but don't think it's the one for me.
My question:
I've heard a lot good about the BT500 but figured with the BT5010 and BT5020 being newer they were likely better. Yet I see some people say the BT500 and older models of Jabra are actually more comfortable and easier to use. Is that true?
It seems the BT5010 and BT5020 are very similar, just different style. Is that true?
For people who have tried both, which style is more comfortable to wear and also stays on better?
I'm interested in any opinions of these or other bluetooth headsets.

Brad
2007-07-13, 13:45
Moving to Purchasing Advice.

drewprops
2007-07-13, 14:56
HUGE vote for the Jabra.

It looks incredible unwieldy, but the way it fits on your ear is genius and far less intrusive than those scarabs clutched to the outside of most peoples' ears. Most of the body is hidden behind the protruding flap of your ear and underneath your hair. It isn't prone to falling off/out and it doesn't put a strain on your ear. It won't tumble out at the merest provocation.

I feel that the arrangement of the buttons on the older 250 model was smarter than the configuration on my current BT500, that the changes were cosmetic and for the worse.... but if you've never used the 250 you'll think that the 500 is bloody genius, so don't worry.

The range is pretty typical.
The sound quality is typical.

I sometimes have trouble pairing with my PEBL, but I feel that it's the phone that's failing on its end of the bluetooth bargain, not the earpiece.

The first time I bought a bluetooth headset I went to the counter with a Motorola earpiece like the guys at work were using. The cashier sent me back to swap it out for a Jabra, saying "They always bring those back and get the Jabra, you might as well get that now". As the price was the same, I can halfway believe that she wasn't just collecting on some sort of manufacturer's promotional quota.

The 500 charges via a tiny USB interface that just so happens to match the kind that came with my Canon SD400 and some other device. That means that I'm never without a way to charge the unit (which also comes with a charger for the mains).

Hope this helps?