PDA

View Full Version : Motorola PEBL

drewprops
2007-07-13, 16:05
Back in April I bought a Motorola PEBL to replace my lost Sony Ericsson T-616.

About 2 weeks ago I started noticing problems with the screen.
It dies. Actually, BOTH of them die. The tiny screen on the outside of the flip and the larger screen inside the flip.
The phone is actually still awake and active, it's just the screen that is dead.
You have to power down and back up to make it work again... sometimes it doesn't recover from that and you have to do it AGAIN.

I bought it straight from Motorola and so that's who I wrote to when it went dodgy.
Their standard reply was to suggest that I do a Master Reset to the phone.
I dunno.......

Thank you for contacting the MOTO STORE, we appreciate your considerations and interest in our products.

Regarding your concern, we are sorry to hear about this inconvenience. If it is a problem caused by a software malfunction, you may resolve it by just turning the phone off and removing the battery.
If this still does not solve the problem, you can try Master Reset on the phone. This option will reset your phone settings. You will not loose any information, your downloads will not be erased and your phonebook entries will not be deleted. What will happen is that the personalized features on the phone will be reset. So you will have to select your wallpaper and ringstyles again. To perform a Master Reset follow these steps:
Press Menu > select Settings > select Initial Set Up > select Master Reset > enter 000000 as a security code > press OK > press Yes. The phone will go off and will come back on by itself.
We invite you to register at our online store to receive notification on hot new product, promotional deals, and experience a seamless shopping experience.
If you have further questions or need additional assistance, please email or call us at 1.866.BUY.MOTO, Option 7.
Our business hours are Monday through Friday from 7 AM to 10 PM CST and Saturday and Sunday from 9 AM to 6 PM CST.
Please visit us at www.store.motorola.com for unique products and promotions.

I guess I'll try it before pushing up to the next Tier.
They say it won't change anything, but I just KNOW that it's going to wank the settings I labored over prepping it to send SMS messages over Cingular's network.

Anybody else ever deal with this process?

Cfarley08
2007-07-16, 21:13
Back in April I bought a Motorola PEBL to replace my lost Sony Ericsson T-616.

About 2 weeks ago I started noticing problems with the screen.
It dies. Actually, BOTH of them die. The tiny screen on the outside of the flip and the larger screen inside the flip.
The phone is actually still awake and active, it's just the screen that is dead.
You have to power down and back up to make it work again... sometimes it doesn't recover from that and you have to do it AGAIN.

I bought it straight from Motorola and so that's who I wrote to when it went dodgy.
Their standard reply was to suggest that I do a Master Reset to the phone.
I dunno.......

I guess I'll try it before pushing up to the next Tier.
They say it won't change anything, but I just KNOW that it's going to wank the settings I labored over prepping it to send SMS messages over Cingular's network.

Anybody else ever deal with this process?

More than likely the screens have died, the connections have come loose, or the connecters have became bad. Doing a master reset wont fix anything. if it is still in warrantee, it would be best to call so you can try to get it shipped to them for a fix. It might cost tho if they consider it normal wear and tear from the way the flip is. Ive owned one before and the harsh flip might be hard on the connections. But your best bet is to call.

drewprops
2007-07-19, 21:04
Thanks Mssr Farley, that's what I'm thinking.... I've done the master reset and am watching to see how the phone performs but will be calling them nonetheless.

drewprops
2007-07-24, 09:22
As expected, it has continued the same behavior.

I'm on the phone with a Motorola rep in India right now and she's very polite.... so far my phone's serial number "isn't coming up in her system". Fortunately, I purchased the phone from the Motorola Store online so THEY have to deal with it, not my carrier. When I'm able to give them my order number it's hard not to deal with it ;)

turbulentfurball
2007-07-24, 09:24
My sister has one of these phones and has had no problems with it. Sorry to hear about your troubles nonetheless Drew!

drewprops
2007-07-24, 09:34
Well I reckon I got me one of them Government-bugged tracer phones since it isn't showing up in the system. Nice to know I have people watching out for me! Wish they'd help carry in the groceries once in a while....

:lol:

drewprops
2007-07-24, 10:08
Oh this is rich... I'm now online with a guy named "Brian" and it took us 10 minutes to get him to understand my mailing address from work.... Peachtree is a word that is confusing... :lol:

Funny thing is, they keep coming back at me with a buildup to questioning the provenance of my purchase since it isn't "coming up in the system" at which point I quickly point out that I purchased from the Motorola Store Online....

Now they're creating a 'Special Action' for me.... except Brian is now looking for a "model number" which I don't see anywhere on the stickers.... as many numbers as there are on the back I don't know which one is the.....

....whew.

45 minutes later and I'm off the phone.
Now all I have to do is wait for them to call me back and.... hey, wait-a-minute.... how do I know they're going to call me back???!

crud.

At least they were very polite and apologetic for the time spent on the phone with them.

drewprops
2007-07-26, 13:14
Okay, FUCK polite and apologetic.
I fucking want 5 minutes alone with cardboard tube and the executive who outsourced their shit to India.
These cocksuckers held me hostage on the phone for 45 minutes on Tuesday, gave me a case number and promptly forgot all about me.

Now I'm waiting for them to call me back again today.
This is bullshit.

I need the telephone number of somebody here in the States that I can lay into in with razors and vinegar in my voice.... I've got a not-too-small share of Motorola stock that I'll be dumping here in the near future.

Fuckers.

InactionMan
2007-07-26, 15:09
From the good people at consumerist.com:

I went looking on Motorola's website for a corporate office phone number without any luck, until Meghann pointed me to the company's Google Finance profile, which listed the phone number. I called and requested to be transferred to Ed Zander's office. After being queried as to the nature of my call, I was instead transferred to their Customer Advocacy group.

For the record, the phone number is 1-847-576-5000. If you stay on the line and ignore the voice prompts you'll get an operator in due time.

Once transferred I spoke to an extremely friendly, polite woman named Kimberly who took my case number, read through the notes, and then said the magic words: "We'll just send you a new phone. Will that resolve the matter?" She did mention that there was a "transition" in their repair center structure, but quickly followed that that should not concern me. I'm told I'll have my new phone next week.

Link! (http://consumerist.com/consumer/telephony/phone-problems-contact-motorola-executive-customer-service-273375.php)

Good luck! :)

Dovek916
2007-07-26, 16:00
My linksys router was not working, so I called them, waited on hold for 1 hour and 15 minutes, all while listening to ads telling me I should contact them via their website if I had any questions. I was about to drive to their hq and nade those noobs:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

drewprops
2007-07-26, 16:29
Dang!! InactionMan that's great information!

Shouldn't have sent this then....

PLEASE help me,
I'm indescribably frustrated with your company at this moment.

Today I made a FOURTH attempt to obtain service from Motorola for a brand new cellular telephone that I purchased from your online store in April of this year. The phone is an orange PEBL and the problem is that the twin screens on the phone "die" on a daily basis forcing me to reboot the device. I understand that this is a typical issue with this device, however I did NOT know that the resolution of the problem would be so atypical of a company that lists itself as a JD Powers award winner.

Can you please help me resolve this problem?

---------

My list of attempts to-date:

July 13
Contacted online support system, received response to execute a "master reset". This I did.

July 18
After a week of continued "screen deaths" I decided that the advice I'd been given was errant and attempted to follow up via a link in the customer support email to Motorola's online support system. However, the outsourced website that handles your customer inquiries, custhelp.com, apparently doesn't allow a person to update questions even if you're logged in and bowing in the direction of Motorola HQ.

Gave up in frustration for a week.

July 24
Called Motorola and reached a really cool sounding navigation guy who quickly diverted my call to India. It was fun and all, I mean, I spoke with some really polite people named "Janet" and "Brian", each of whom informed me that my phone's serial number was not in your records even though I purchased it DIRECTLY from Motorola's website. You think it could be a collector's item? (Online Store Order Ref# xxxxxxxxxx)

ANYWAY, this was one of those legendary 45 minute telephone calls... the kind you read about in magazines. I spent no less than 12 minutes sounding out every letter from my daytime work address of "Peachtree Road" via handclaps, hoots, clicks and whistles. In the end, "Brian" awarded me with a "special action", which he also referred to as a "special request" and a "case number".

That number (I know you'd like to know it) was xxxxxxxx.

NOT that this number is going to do you any good, dear Motorola Feedback person, because I'm quite certain that this number will connect you to the local Chinese takeout restaurant in the part of India in which that nice young man ("Brian") works. I can only assume that he gave me that number in a desperate bid to make me go away and stop spelling words at him.

Potentially bright lad.

July 26 (Today)
Since NOBODY from Motorola ever called me back with an RMA# or a service address I decided to have a ring 'round to India again today to spell MORE things at them. I have to assume that my conversation with the nice lady (who mangled my surname FAR less horribly than I would hers) is going to result in the same non-action of the past two weeks, so I thought that I would try writing to you today in the hopes that you aren't actually Brian or Janet. Or the name-mangler.

======

So, Motorola Feedback person.

I know it's not your fault that my phone isn't working, or that Janet passed me off to Brian, or that Brian is convinced that Atlanta doesn't have any streets with the word "Peachtree" in them.

It's not even your fault that the nice lady called me "Mister Toucan" today. I thought that was rather funny.

What matters is that I still have this telephone with the wanky screens.
And I'm still frustrated.
And I have a blog.
Booga Booga Booga!!

Anyway,
I hope to hear from you soon.
My best to Janet and Brian.

Your Faithful Customer,

PS: Thanks for the email advertisement for the Motorola Store today. Maybe I will buy something else once we get this whole orange PEBL thing sorted out.

MAYBE.

drewprops
2007-07-26, 17:10
InactionMan you are a LIFESAVER!!

You deserve a...
Tickertape parade!
Half-hour in the Grotto with the Playboy bunnies.

How about some Rep points instead??!!

Running big companies smoothly all the time is next to impossible.
It's nice when you find the sweet spot of Service. Patience is key.

turtle
2007-07-26, 18:13
So are they going to do anything about your phone? Did you reach a human?

drewprops
2007-07-26, 18:34
Oh yes!
I reached a human being!
A nice, friendly human being who spoke with a nice Chicago accent.
I have a FedEx form to stick on the outside of the box... looking forward to getting this little jewel off to the repair center!

Time to fire up my backup T-616 phone!!

InactionMan
2007-07-26, 22:24
Awesome! I'm glad that number actually got you some help.

I'll be by the Grotto later to visit the bunnies.