PDA

View Full Version : Samsung 305T vs 30 inch ACD

KDubbs82
2007-07-14, 00:32
Ok. Now what about the Samsung LCD 305T (http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/spec.do?group=computersperipherals&type=monitors&subtype=lcd&model_cd=LS30HUBCB/XAA) vs. ACD. I looked at the specs and they seem identical except the Contrast ratio. The resolutions are the same as well. However, I have been told on here that it still won't render the same quality as the ACD. I don't understand what is the true difference b/w the ACD and other third party LCD monitors. I would like to know if this could be used as an HDTV as well. Any thoughts?

neiltc13
2007-07-14, 05:32
Get the Dell 30" Ultrasharp - it has far more inputs for connecting anything from TV sources to games consoles alongside your computer.

The ACD is overpriced nonsense. You're paying for the brand and the metal casing. That's it.

MCQ
2007-07-14, 08:57
Get the Dell 30" Ultrasharp - it has far more inputs for connecting anything from TV sources to games consoles alongside your computer.

Right. Because the whopping USB hub and 9 in 1 flash reader is going to do that. :err: The 30" Dell LCD doesn't come with the same set of video inputs that the 20" and 24" LCDs have.

I don't know that any of the 30" 2560x1600 LCDs have Component, S-Video, or HDMI connectivity due to the high resolution. Most have the Dual-Link DVI port, and perhaps a usb/firewire hub and flash reader. You'd probably be hard pressed to use it as a HDTV, unless you were planning to connect it to a computer with a TV tuner.

I'll leave the question regarding display quality and color accuracy to the photographers/digital media people. :)

Edit: Ah, just saw your other thread. The one option you might want to look into is a pair of Sharp 32" LCDs that are native 1080p. Model numbers are LC32GP1U and LC32D62U - basically the same panel but the 32GP1U comes with a DVI connector, while the 32D62U only comes with HDMI, so you'd have to use a DVI-HDMI cable.

There's some threads on HardOCP and AVSForum about using them as a computer monitor in addition to an HDTV, you'll want to read them to see the pros/cons about it.

Kraetos
2007-07-14, 09:14
The ACD is not overpriced nonsense. You're not just paying for the brand, you are paying for better color consistency, which is important for any kind of creative professional work.

You see, the Samsung uses an S-PVA panel. S-PVA panels provide better response time and contrast ratios at the expense of color consistency. The ACD uses an S-IPS panel, which provides very good color consistency for the price at the expense of response time and contrast ratio.

I own both a Samsung SyncMaster 244t, a 24" S-PVA panel, that I use for my gaming rig for its response time and rich colors. I own a 23" ACD for use with my MacBook Pro which I do my design work on.

So you see, both panels have their advantages and disadvantages. If you are gaming, movie watching, or just general surfing/emailing/word processing and whatnot, then the Samsung is a good choice. If you are a creative pro, and you need your layouts/photos/designs etc. to be sharp and color consistent, then the ACD is a good choice.

If you're on a tight budget, then the Dell is a good choice. But you get what you pay for: Dell's backlights are pretty inconsistent, having owned two Dell 30s and a Dell 23.

For more information, see this thread: The Be-All, End-All discussion on LCD monitors and LCD panel types. (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=23048)

Also: using a 30" as an HDTV is damn hard, if not impossible. I tried once to rig a Dell 30" with a D/L DVI switch and an HD tuner, using a HDMI-DVI cable into the switch. I couldn't make it work; for some reason, the switch wouldn't work with the HDTV signal. If I were you, I'd buy a 23" ACD + a real HDTV. LGs are a good balance of price and quality, but if you wanna go all out, Samsung is how to roll. I have a Samsung 46" and its gorgeous.