PDA

View Full Version : Buy Mac now or after leopard?

shalimar
2007-07-20, 23:50
I am a college student and I am planning to buy a new mbp but there are some problems.

I want leopard, ilife 07/08, and maybe iwork as well.
Apple is currently offering a free ipod which ends Sept 17th 2007.

If I buy now, I might not get the new ilife because that might be released with leopard in Oct. or August with the new imac. But I cant wait too long because then I wont get the ipod deal. Then there is leopard which debut sometime in October so I might be able to get some rebate on the new OS if I wait till Sept.17th.

The downfall of waiting is of course not having the mbp in my hand and basically waiting for nothing while I can use my mbp now.

Does anybody know what kind of rebate Apple might give to customers who buy computers so close to a new OS release and usually what does apple consider "a close enought" purchase to warrant a rebate on their new OS. Meaning, if I buy on Sept 17th, will that be sufficient for Apple to consider sending me a copy of leopard for free/discounted.

Thanks - Shalimar

mlipkin
2007-07-21, 09:16
They won't give you a discount on Leopard no matter how close you buy your mac. But look at it this way:

Free iPod = $200
Free Leopard (if you buy a mac after if comes out) = $70 (that's how much it is with a student discount)

It pays to get your computer now and buy the OS in October.

Majost
2007-07-21, 11:08
They won't give you a discount on Leopard no matter how close you buy your mac…

It's been a while, but if memory serves me correctly, they have previously announced the ship date about three weeks ahead of time, and any computers bought in the intervening period could buy an 'upgrade' for a $20 'shipping' fee.

shalimar
2007-07-21, 14:59
It's been a while, but if memory serves me correctly, they have previously announced the ship date about three weeks ahead of time, and any computers bought in the intervening period could buy an 'upgrade' for a $20 'shipping' fee.

Thank you for the response. If it is a 3 weeks timer period for the upgrade discount then my only chance is that they release it first week of October if I plan to buy around Sept 17th.

The reason Sept 17th is significant is that this is the last day to get the ipod discount which is a must for this purchase as it is worth so much. So I understand the price difference between a leopard purchase and an ipod but the whole point is getting both.

-Shalimar

Brad
2007-07-21, 15:35
Thank you for the response. If it is a 3 weeks timer period for the upgrade discount then my only chance is that they release it first week of October if I plan to buy around Sept 17th.
I wouldn't plan on this discount period actually applying. It is not the standard policy and there have been zero announcements of such a discount yet. Until Apple makes such an announcement, you should plan your purchase timing with the assumption that there will not be any discount for recent buyers.

Riley_york
2007-09-17, 23:31
Hi I have a simular question...

I'm making a switch from PC to MAC and I was told to wait until leopard comes out. I will be buying an iMAc and I'm assuming that once leopard is released it will be included with the iMac ... am I right ?

screensaver400
2007-09-17, 23:43
Hi I have a simular question...

I'm making a switch from PC to MAC and I was told to wait until leopard comes out. I will be buying an iMAc and I'm assuming that once leopard is released it will be included with the iMac ... am I right ?

Correct. For the first few days or weeks after release a DVD will be provided for free. After, it will be pre-installed.

Hobbes
2007-09-21, 16:54
Officially, Leopard is due next month, but according to developers it's still not quite in shape for release, so it's not entirely clear whether it's going to make its release date in (late) October; it's possible that it could be bumped another 8 weeks to MWSF in January.

Either way, we should know soon -- very likely in the next week...